The Student Room Group

What is wrong with resits?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by NiallC
For all the people who say that resits shouldn't be allowed what happens if in 10 years time you've finished university but the career path you've chosen isn't for you, but you don't have the necessary qualifications to move into a new path so you would have to go back to university and do it again to get the qualifications you want to change career paths? Obviously they shouldn't be given a second chance at life as well?

Wtf? A resit is sitting the same exam again, not sitting a new one.
Reply 81
Original post by Hopple
How are you worse off from not having resits? That applies to everyone, and since that's who you're competing with it's fair. If one year group had some super harsh exam and nobody came out with better than a D, they write what grade they got and the year and then people will go "Oh, you were that year. Unlucky lol, but we'll have you anyway". The more resits you take the more of an advantage you have overthose who just do one.

Perhaps it varies across the country then, or has changed since I did A Levels (I don't see why it would have though), but I know people on EMA had to pay for resits. Your school seems like it's using resits as an actual strategy to get better grades rather than focus on getting results first time if it's set aside money for resits on such a large scale. It does cost someone money for each entry, since that paper needs to be marked by someone and they'll want paying (plus admin).

But if most people get a D, then surely there will be less differentiation between the year group due to that harsh exam. So people who would have got Ds would instead end up with Fs, and an F definately looks worse than a D. Especially since the person judging you for the job, won't be able to tell whether you simply did worse due to the difficult exam, or due to being useless at that subject. Thus, free resits should be offered.

My main argument wasn't about that, though. It's that everyone can screw up, and everyone can also improve - therefore it is only fair that they get a chance to show how good they are by the time they leave school.

As I have only ever been to one secondary school, and have only a few friends in any other schools, I don't know whether it varies so much across the country. I am assuming it doesn't, although of course I could be wrong. If it does turn out that my school is simply an exception, then I would also support expanding on free resits, for everyone.
Reply 82
Original post by Hopple
Wtf? A resit is sitting the same exam again, not sitting a new one.

I know but my main point is that you shouldn't deny people a second chance at something because they didn't get it right the first time...
I've never resat an exam but still got decent grades, but I'm still looked at equally compared to someone who has resat exams (unless you're applying to really competitive courses where resits aren't ideal). I think if you've not had to redo something to get a better grade you should be looked on favourably because you haven't slacked off assuming you can just redo it later on. The pressure is something you have to learn to deal with, there are no second/third/fourth chances in jobs, unless your boss is kind. Obviously if you were ill this is different, but I'm talking about slackers mainly. Everyone deserves a second chance with education if they decide to pull their socks up, but it wouldn't be fair to view them in the same light as someone who has consistently done well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Revilo1
But if most people get a D, then surely there will be less differentiation between the year group due to that harsh exam. So people who would have got Ds would instead end up with Fs, and an F definately looks worse than a D. Especially since the person judging you for the job, won't be able to tell whether you simply did worse due to the difficult exam, or due to being useless at that subject. Thus, free resits should be offered.
That would fix the problem for poor students, but I don't think it'll happen as it'll cost too much. If it's free, even more people will resit because they have nothing to lose. It also doesn't address the argument some may take of the pressure of having only one shot is good preparation for later in life. Uni exams may let you resit but will cap your mark at the pass rate.

My main argument wasn't about that, though. It's that everyone can screw up, and everyone can also improve - therefore it is only fair that they get a chance to show how good they are by the time they leave school.
Everyone can screw up, but you can only improve if you can afford to improve.

Original post by NiallC
I know but my main point is that you shouldn't deny people a second chance at something because they didn't get it right the first time...

So pick a proper example.

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I've never resat an exam but still got decent grades, but I'm still looked at equally compared to someone who has resat exams (unless you're applying to really competitive courses where resits aren't ideal). I think if you've not had to redo something to get a better grade you should be looked on favourably because you haven't slacked off assuming you can just redo it later on. The pressure is something you have to learn to deal with, there are no second/third/fourth chances in jobs, unless your boss is kind. Obviously if you were ill this is different, but I'm talking about slackers mainly. Everyone deserves a second chance with education if they decide to pull their socks up, but it wouldn't be fair to view them in the same light as someone who has consistently done well.

I agree, it is unfair on those who ace the exam first time if a university or sixth form treats a first time A candidate the same as someone who got a B first then an A later. However, I think universities get to see all the exams you sat if they want, so can make up their mind based on that if they wish.
Reply 85
Original post by Hopple
That would fix the problem for poor students, but I don't think it'll happen as it'll cost too much. If it's free, even more people will resit because they have nothing to lose. It also doesn't address the argument some may take of the pressure of having only one shot is good preparation for later in life. Uni exams may let you resit but will cap your mark at the pass rate.

In Wales, after the marking issues with the English exams, everyone was offered a free resit. I don't see why this couldn't be applied to England, or even the whole UK, in a situation where the exam was so much harder.

Original post by Hopple
Everyone can screw up, but you can only improve if you can afford to improve.

Like I've said, there are plenty of ways to pay for it. For instance, according to a thread on TSR (just google 'how much do resits cost' to find it) the cost of exams, although dependant on your school and the exam board, is quite low. According to that thread, it is between roughly £12-24 per resit, depending on whether you meet the deadline or not.

Most families could easily afford to pay for a few resits over the course of a year without any real difficulty, and for poorer families there are things like student bursaries and even help from social services. It is hardly like resits are something only rich, privately educated people can afford.

I also suspect that there are plenty of schools - particularly in poorer areas - which offer resits for free provided you ask to have one before a deadline, like mine. Anyone else's school offer this?
Reply 86

But if you get an A first time, you have still only demonstrated you know as much as someone who got an A second time round. It's not like resit exams are easier than exams you take first time round. This is like saying that in your mock tests, you started getting As before someone else in your class, and so therefore deserve to recieve extra credit for it.

Also, you say that you agree with resits for people who have simply had a bad day or are ill, but not for people who simply want to try again. Do you have any suggestions as to how you would differentiate between the two? I doubt any policy that would be applied in schools would have any real impact on the number of students resitting.
Reply 87
Original post by Revilo1
In Wales, after the marking issues with the English exams, everyone was offered a free resit. I don't see why this couldn't be applied to England, or even the whole UK, in a situation where the exam was so much harder.
That was a freak occurence and the costs can be justified by not having angry parents firebomb their offices. Each resit needs to be marked as well, at the same cost as a first time sitter's exam, and if it were free then everyone short of 100% might as well have another go.

Like I've said, there are plenty of ways to pay for it. For instance, according to a thread on TSR (just google 'how much do resits cost' to find it) the cost of exams, although dependant on your school and the exam board, is quite low. According to that thread, it is between roughly £12-24 per resit, depending on whether you meet the deadline or not.

Most families could easily afford to pay for a few resits over the course of a year without any real difficulty, and for poorer families there are things like student bursaries and even help from social services. It is hardly like resits are something only rich, privately educated people can afford.

I also suspect that there are plenty of schools - particularly in poorer areas - which offer resits for free provided you ask to have one before a deadline, like mine. Anyone else's school offer this?

Yeah, I think your school is a rarity, offering resits for free. I do think it's probably a strategy they've decided to go for, to keep throwing students into exams and taking the best grade rather than teach them properly so they only need one go.

Bear in mind that the EMA or any bursary is meant to encourage kids to stay in school rather than their parents getting them to start doing something on minimum wage, so these families are likely just getting by anyway. The bursary isn't something you'd save for a resit, you'll likely spend it on clothes and food, though yes there will be the odd one who spends it on a Nintendo DS or something. I don't see why I have to convince you that a household bringing in six figures per year will be more able to pay for resits than a household on such a low income that they receive a bursary.
Reply 88
Original post by Revilo1
But if you get an A first time, you have still only demonstrated you know as much as someone who got an A second time round. It's not like resit exams are easier than exams you take first time round. This is like saying that in your mock tests, you started getting As before someone else in your class, and so therefore deserve to recieve extra credit for it.
The argument is a bit weaker because resits are available, but it's a lot more impressive to get an A with the pressure of knowing you only have one shot than knowing if you screw up you can have another go in a few months. Getting an A in the first exam you take under exam pressure (as opposed to a mock in class, or past papers at home) is a greater feat too.

Also, you say that you agree with resits for people who have simply had a bad day or are ill, but not for people who simply want to try again. Do you have any suggestions as to how you would differentiate between the two? I doubt any policy that would be applied in schools would have any real impact on the number of students resitting.
I'd have an easy test, if they turn up to the exam they don't get another go, that's the mark they get.
Reply 89
Original post by Hopple
That was a freak occurence and the costs can be justified by not having angry parents firebomb their offices. Each resit needs to be marked as well, at the same cost as a first time sitter's exam, and if it were free then everyone short of 100% might as well have another go.

I think if you simply banned all resits, you would still get a reaction from plenty of students though. Although I must admit, the fear of a reaction probably did play a part in that decision.

Original post by Hopple
Yeah, I think your school is a rarity, offering resits for free. I do think it's probably a strategy they've decided to go for, to keep throwing students into exams and taking the best grade rather than teach them properly so they only need one go.

Bear in mind that the EMA or any bursary is meant to encourage kids to stay in school rather than their parents getting them to start doing something on minimum wage, so these families are likely just getting by anyway. The bursary isn't something you'd save for a resit, you'll likely spend it on clothes and food, though yes there will be the odd one who spends it on a Nintendo DS or something. I don't see why I have to convince you that a household bringing in six figures per year will be more able to pay for resits than a household on such a low income that they receive a bursary.

Judging by the fact that our school has cosistently gotten better grades than many nearby schools, I think that this shows how good a strategy it is. Although that is really a subject for another thread. I had simply assumed that this was a common thing :colondollar:

But if you know you want to have the chance to take resits, then surely you could just save up a small amount of money from it anyway - even if you just saved 5p per day, over a year that is £18, which should be enough for a resit. Hardly a huge sacrifice to make, is it?

And also, I am well aware of the fact that some households will find it easier to afford resits - but that doesn't mean that worse off households won't be able to afford it. It is only about £20 a resit, and I still doubt there are enough households which struggle with money so much that they cannot afford the odd £20ish for a resit a few times a year.
Well, there must have been a reason why you didn't do well at the first sit, what makes you think things will be different when you resit, well that's probably just me i tend to do worse at re-sits
Reply 91
Original post by Revilo1
I think if you simply banned all resits, you would still get a reaction from plenty of students though. Although I must admit, the fear of a reaction probably did play a part in that decision.
To offer free resits, they're taking a big financial hit. The markers have to be paid and they're already complaining that they have to do so many in such a short time that it's leading to poor quality of marking.
Judging by the fact that our school has cosistently gotten better grades than many nearby schools, I think that this shows how good a strategy it is. Although that is really a subject for another thread. I had simply assumed that this was a common thing :colondollar:
Even if it is effective, I think it's a strategy that should be discouraged. The emphasis should be on teaching a good understanding of the subject, not having loads of attempts and hoping you get the topics that the teaching has focused on and hoping you don't get the topics the teaching has neglected. Yes there is already too much 'teaching to the test', but we don't need more.

But if you know you want to have the chance to take resits, then surely you could just save up a small amount of money from it anyway - even if you just saved 5p per day, over a year that is £18, which should be enough for a resit. Hardly a huge sacrifice to make, is it?
If you're scraping money together, you probably could do with buying proper food and things like that. I'm sure a lot of poorer kids 'make do' with a B where a richer kid would push on for an A.

And also, I am well aware of the fact that some households will find it easier to afford resits - but that doesn't mean that worse off households won't be able to afford it. It is only about £20 a resit, and I still doubt there are enough households which struggle with money so much that they cannot afford the odd £20ish for a resit a few times a year.

Look, I'm not necessarily talking about families only having just enough food to stay alive and walk to and from school - you're right, those families are rare. But what about the families for whom all money goes directly into a basic standard of living, such as healthy food, heating bills, decent clothes and shoes for growing kids etc.
Reply 92
Nothing really, I don't see any reason to scrap resits, though getting top grades without doing any resists is clearly more impressive than doing so but with resits.
Ultimately this is a question about what exams are for.

With something like a driving test, the purpose of the examination is to see whether someone has achieved a particularly level of competency. It doesn't matter whether 1% pass or 100% pass, the aim is to ensure that everyone who passes is a competent driver.

With school examinations the aim is largely to differentiate between pupils (the exceptions are English and maths GCSE). For the most part no-one cares what level of attainment someone achieves in a given subject. Take someone who reads philosophy at university. No-one is interested whether they can tell a limestone pavement from terminal murrain, or know the forces operating on a body in motion or what Shakespeare was driving at in Measure for Measure. Even where an A level subject is required as an essential qualification for a degree, what a university is really doing is looking for someone with a proven aptitude for that subject, rather than their actual subject knowledge.

What resits do, is make it harder for universities (or employers) to differentiate between candidates because it means exams do not measure the best on the day or average performance but instead measure best of two or best of three.
Reply 94
Original post by Hopple
To offer free resits, they're taking a big financial hit. The markers have to be paid and they're already complaining that they have to do so many in such a short time that it's leading to poor quality of marking.
Even if it is effective, I think it's a strategy that should be discouraged. The emphasis should be on teaching a good understanding of the subject, not having loads of attempts and hoping you get the topics that the teaching has focused on and hoping you don't get the topics the teaching has neglected. Yes there is already too much 'teaching to the test', but we don't need more.

If you're scraping money together, you probably could do with buying proper food and things like that. I'm sure a lot of poorer kids 'make do' with a B where a richer kid would push on for an A.

Look, I'm not necessarily talking about families only having just enough food to stay alive and walk to and from school - you're right, those families are rare. But what about the families for whom all money goes directly into a basic standard of living, such as healthy food, heating bills, decent clothes and shoes for growing kids etc.

Regardless of whether they will ever offer resits like this, I still think more schools should offer free resits - particularly ones in poorer areas. I think this would be a good use of the money, as it helps to make education more affordable and equal. Of course, there are already too many good uses of money right now for it to really be justified in exonomic times like these, but when things pick up again I'm sure there would be enough support for it.

While it could lead to more teaching to the test rather than the actual subject, I wouldn't say it does. After all, to get an A in a test requires you to know so much about a certain subject - so if you get an A after several attempts, you clearly still have that amount of knowledge. If anything, it sometimes shows how, especially if you weren't very good at a subject, you were willing to continue trying until you did well in it and understood it.

Unfortunately, I fear you're right when you say poorer kids would probably just accept a B, when a richer kid would try for an A. The problem would be that the poorer kids' parents would be in control of their finances, and if they didn't want to pay for them then there is little you could do. However, revision books need to be bought as well, and so you get the same problem - yet almost everyone in my year at exam time had revision books for most things. Also, revision books probably work out as more expensive - would you propose banning them to make the system fairer?
Original post by electriic_ink
No. But then, unlike school/college, a purpose of driving tests is not to prepare you for the workplace.

What if you wish to become a taxi driver? or a HGV driver?
Reply 96
Original post by Revilo1
Regardless of whether they will ever offer resits like this, I still think more schools should offer free resits - particularly ones in poorer areas. I think this would be a good use of the money, as it helps to make education more affordable and equal. Of course, there are already too many good uses of money right now for it to really be justified in exonomic times like these, but when things pick up again I'm sure there would be enough support for it.
Schools offering free resits means they're paying for it, meaning they aren't spending that money elsewhere. Markers want to be paid, so each extra paper to mark will cost money.

While it could lead to more teaching to the test rather than the actual subject, I wouldn't say it does. After all, to get an A in a test requires you to know so much about a certain subject - so if you get an A after several attempts, you clearly still have that amount of knowledge. If anything, it sometimes shows how, especially if you weren't very good at a subject, you were willing to continue trying until you did well in it and understood it.
If you know the subject properly you'll get an A. If you almost know the subject you'll get an A and so on. The reason your grade changes with multiple resits is that you get a selection of questions that your teachers have put extra focus on. Say there are 5 topics, but the exam only has 3 questions, and your teachers teach you topics 2, 3 and 5. First exam has questions on topics 1, 3 and 5, you get a B because you didn't know topic 1 properly. Next time it's 2, 3 and 4, and again you get a B. Then you get 2, 3 and 5 and get your A*. Your school's method teaches depth at the expense of a good breadth, and uses the resits to compensate.

Unfortunately, I fear you're right when you say poorer kids would probably just accept a B, when a richer kid would try for an A. The problem would be that the poorer kids' parents would be in control of their finances, and if they didn't want to pay for them then there is little you could do. However, revision books need to be bought as well, and so you get the same problem - yet almost everyone in my year at exam time had revision books for most things. Also, revision books probably work out as more expensive - would you propose banning them to make the system fairer?
Even if you've used fancy revision books, private tutors, had better teachers etc, if you do well in an exam it's because you are capable of it. If you use money to get better a subject then that's okay because you have actually ended up being better at that subject. Resits use money to get better results in exams, they increase your grade without you necessarily having to improve your understanding of the actual subject.
I reckon you should be allowed one re-sit so if you had a rough day then you can show your true ability. Unlike what a lot of my friends are doing. One has already redone AS and is now re-sitting AS maths again. Bizarrely he can retain marks in some modules and use better marks from re-sits to get his grade; now how that works I have no idea.
Original post by Revilo1

Oh yeah I understand that, but surely it's more impressive to do well on a test first time round (showing you've adequately prepared) rather than going in twice or more. If it takes longer to get a good grade you shouldn't be looked at the same as someone who did it well the first time round, aside from if you have proof of illness or another reason. You've all had the same amount of time to prepare and the same teachers, so unless there's a good reason to resit the universities should have preference for those who didn't need to.

As for people who just want to try again I don't think there should be any restriction on that but if you've been really ill you should provide evidence for the uni to take into account. Everyone deserves a second chance as I say, I don't think banning resits is the right way to go about things but in the current system it might encourage laziness if people just assume they can resit at a later point and not put the work in at the times they should. It certainly happened a lot at the college I attended, where people slacked off all year then crammed during the last couple of weeks when they were resitting their exams. It just doesn't bode well if people get used to doing that sort of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
I been keeping an eye on this silly thread for a while but I did not have the energy to post. However, do I need to stress that A levels really are not important?

My A levels are not included on my CV any more. My GCSEs only have a line saying:

More than 5 GCSEs at C or over including maths and English

Once you have your degree A levels are pretty much meaningless. I personally view GCSE and A levels as hoop jumping, as once you have your degree the only prior qualifications that are important is maths and English GCSE. Mainly because English and Maths at least a C is asked for by some advertised jobs.

Now I understand that A levels seem important when you are studying them, but really they get you into a uni course that you want to do and nothing more. Once you have your degree the classification is more important than anything else as it allows you or prevents you entering post grad study or grad schemes and also highlights the range of transferable skills for the work place (mainly admin type roles) .

That said I do feel that there are a lot of silly things being said in this thread. Not picking on you spice just you are the latest post.

Oh yeah I understand that, but surely it's more impressive to do well on a test first time round (showing you've adequately prepared) rather than going in twice or more.

Really? What about those that got stressed and did not sleep well the night before? Or perhaps just felt run down?

Exams are very dependent upon your health and how you feel on the day. I have had exams taken when I could not sleep the night before because I got stressed over them and considering the amount of pressure people put on those taking exams being unable to handle the stress is not surprising.

Doing well first time round impressive? No but suggests well prepared and having a good day.

If it takes longer to get a good grade you shouldn't be looked at the same as someone who did it well the first time round, aside from if you have proof of illness or another reason. You've all had the same amount of time to prepare and the same teachers, so unless there's a good reason to resit the universities should have preference for those who didn't need to.

As I have pointed out already there are reasons that can impact upon exam performance that would not get you evidence such as a doctors note etc...

Even then A levels really don't show much to performance in a degree. A levels are merely the filtering process, but the learning styles are very different where you go from text book learning to independent learning along with a new range of skills to master.

As for people who just want to try again I don't think there should be any restriction on that but if you've been really ill you should provide evidence for the uni to take into account. Everyone deserves a second chance as I say, I don't think banning resits is the right way to go about things but in the current system it might encourage laziness if people just assume they can resit at a later point and not put the work in at the times they should. It certainly happened a lot at the college I attended, where people slacked off all year then crammed during the last couple of weeks when they were resitting their exams. It just doesn't bode well if people get used to doing that sort of thing.

This is what I find silly at the end of the day a grade is just that a grade. I don't care if you got it first time or sixth. What difference does it make on paper - none.

Even then those who resit are at a disadvantage as they will be resitting without the aid of lessons that you would have had in the run up to the first sitting of the paper.

A lot can happen in peoples lives and a lot of unexpected minor pressures can spring up that could easily undermine the revision process.

You talk about second chances what is wrong with someone slacking off and then learning the error of their ways compared to someone who was ill? Even then you cannot know how much work people do at home for example. Judging people really is not your place.

Also I really must stress the point that A levels are not important after the degree. Employers will not be judging you on your A level results as your degree (or far more likely) your experience in similar roles which is far more important.

At the end of the day text book learning does little to prepare you for the real world.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending