Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm very private about my email address, and I have chosen a extremely unpredictable email address so no one would ever guess it but lately I keep getting emails of people saying things like 'who r u?' And those superstitious emails when you have to send it to your 50 closest friends off people I don't even know, like scouse from Scotland! Has anyone got any suggestion on how to stop it?

Oh and I have the spam filter on full...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    I'm very private about my email address, and I have chosen a extremely unpredictable email address so no one would ever guess it but lately I keep getting emails of people saying things like 'who r u?' And those superstitious emails when you have to send it to your 50 closest friends off people I don't even know, like scouse from Scotland! Has anyone got any suggestion on how to stop it?
    did u make a profile? some sad people search the directories to send email to people... or dont do forwards. it cud be that wen people send forwards to u and other people, thos other people then forward it on, and ur email address will sho to all hat get it. theres nothin much u can do apart from put a strong junk mail filter on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    did u make a profile? some sad people search the directories to send email to people... or dont do forwards. it cud be that wen people send forwards to u and other people, thos other people then forward it on, and ur email address will sho to all hat get it. theres nothin much u can do apart from put a strong junk mail filter on it
    Yeah, I'm going to tell my friends to stop sending me forwards. I don't understand what a profile is, so most likely didn't make one.

Thanks

When they email saying who r u, should i email back of just leave it?

*I'd email back saying how you got my email address*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm going to tell my friends to stop sending me forwards. I don't understand what a profile is, so most likely didn't make one.

Thanks

When they email saying who r u, should i email back of just leave it?

*I'd email back saying how you got my email address*
    personally id leave it. oz if u email back ur basically askin them for a reply arent u. if u dont email bk they shud soon forget u and not email u again. they propbably just lookin for friends hehe

ReputationRep:
    Unfortinatly anyone using a free e-mail address is liable to have it sold to an advertising company to pay for the upkeep of servers. And once your name appears on a send list of a chain letter, everyone with that letter will have access to your address. I recomend banning the users who send you them, and anyone on the send list. That should cut back on the spam you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Unfortinatly anyone using a free e-mail address is liable to have it sold to an advertising company to pay for the upkeep of servers. And once your name appears on a send list of a chain letter, everyone with that letter will have access to your address. I recomend banning the users who send you them, and anyone on the send list. That should cut back on the spam you get.
    a few weeks ago i got a forward that had been sent to my jumk mail addy last septemeber. sicne it was sent to me there must have been over 200 addresses on the message! ad mine was on it near the end... just goes to sho. i noticed that some addys in the message had appeared a few times askin who i am and if i wana meet up etc etc. cack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    a few weeks ago i got a forward that had been sent to my jumk mail addy last septemeber. sicne it was sent to me there must have been over 200 addresses on the message! ad mine was on it near the end... just goes to sho. i noticed that some addys in the message had appeared a few times askin who i am and if i wana meet up etc etc. cack
    I once coppied a whole chain address list into messenger and then wouldn't leave them alone till they blocked me. Not a good idea unless your sure you want to test your firewall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    I once coppied a whole chain address list into messenger and then wouldn't leave them alone till they blocked me. Not a good idea unless your sure you want to test your firewall.
    LOL! I think I hve a firewall, my Dads mates sets our mac up though! I shall ask him tonight.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! I think I hve a firewall, my Dads mates sets our mac up though! I shall ask him tonight.
    a firewall isn't going to stop emails. not unless you block your whole email client from accessing the internet, which would mean you get no emails at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a firewall isn't going to stop emails. not unless you block your whole email client from accessing the internet, which would mean you get no emails at all.
    Yes but it can stop bugs, that what I'm most worried about....

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it can stop bugs, that what I'm most worried about....
    it can stop bugs that communicate with the net (i.e. use their own smtp engine to send themselves out, or send your details out to their homeserver). however, it wont stop you getting bugs, as they will come in an email which you open, and like i said, a firewall doesn't stop email.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.