Failed my driving test for 3 times due to nerves... change to auto?

Watch
xxstace123xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hiya,
I was just wondering if anyone has been in this situation.

Basically I have been learning to drive a manual car 10 months (on/off), I have taken 3 tests:

- first was a complete flop, went to bits, made loads of mistakes.
- second attempt felt a lot more calm, had rescue remedy, but my leg wouldnt stop shaking so I kept stalling and messed up my manouevre
- third attempt yesterday (about 4 months after last test, had about 9 more hours) - had rescue remedy again, tried to calm myself with my breathing. But I stalled about 7 times, not in dangerous places but it was turned to a serious - its so annoying though as I never stall on lessons.

So in the last 2 tests I had no other marks against me for my actual driving, so I put it mainly down to horrible nerves and uncontrollable leg shaking.

Anyway, I feel like giving up now! I don't know whether to carry on manual (even though i have had about 45 hours) and risk the nerves again on a test or try in automatic, I have practiced in an auto before on private land and found it easy to use.

I know you can only use auto with an auto lisence, but the car I plan on buying comes in auto for not much more. (and I have the option to pass in manual once my confidence picks up)

Any advice would be appreciated, as I am pretty unsure which way to go, and I am sick of spending money on it!
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't give up! Nerves are completely normal, it really doesn't matter that you've taken three tests, my friend passed hers after her eighth try about five months ago so you will pass! Although driving in automatic sounds easier you'd probably need a few more hours to get used to it and doing your manoeuvres, have you tried putting your heel on the floor to stop it shaking? When I took my test I found that helped a lot.
AlexMaley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had the problem with the shaking leg when I first started manuovers. I just did what the person above said, keep my heel on the floor whilst using the clutch, it helped a lot and I no longer have this problem
Megzx13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just keep trying, you'll get there eventually, and you'll regret it if you don't :')
I was ridiculously nervous too! Much worse than with any exams... haha
tooty_fruit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't go for an automatic license. They can really restrict the cars you can buy. I'd have thought once you're used to an automatic it might be more difficult to go back to manual as you're so used to it.

Keep on trying - I know someone that took 9 times to pass!
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by JKGB)
Don't give up! Nerves are completely normal, it really doesn't matter that you've taken three tests, my friend passed hers after her eighth try about five months ago so you will pass! Although driving in automatic sounds easier you'd probably need a few more hours to get used to it and doing your manoeuvres, have you tried putting your heel on the floor to stop it shaking? When I took my test I found that helped a lot.

Yeah I did try that haha, basically he told me to pull over and stop before I had to do my turn in the road and I stalled 5 times :') was so embarassing, he was really nice though even though I knew I had failed then.

Yeah I was thinking about booking a block of 10 then using the last ones for my test day, don't really want to be spending too much on it!

Also everytime I fail I get more worried about failing haha! I know it sounds silly, I have never been able to deal with failing very well.

But since all my faults were due to the clutch, I am hoping, illiminate the clutch, and I should pass :')
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooty_fruit)
Don't go for an automatic license. They can really restrict the cars you can buy. I'd have thought once you're used to an automatic it might be more difficult to go back to manual as you're so used to it.

Keep on trying - I know someone that took 9 times to pass!
Possibly, although I really have no desire to drive a manual! I know I may need it later on in life, but I think once I have confidence in driving myself, I wont be so nervouse taking a test. I don't think i'll forget how to use gears, hmm.

I just keep thinking of all the money I am throwing down the drain, it is so fustrating!
Cybele
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is it really just the clutch that's getting you so worked up and panicked? It's only one extra peddle, I say stick with it and keep trying. Seems silly to just give up on it and I think you'll regret it. I think I had like a years worth of lessons before I was put in for my test, because I knew then I was completely ready and I passed. Good luck!
tamimi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's probably the nerves that are failing you, not your driving techniques. Try and keep calm, and use muscle-memory. Best of luck
Kre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't switch to auto! You'll regret not having a manual licence in the future. If you do decide you want to upgrade to a manual licence, you'll have to do lessons and your test again which will probably be much more expensive than it is now considering the price of lessons is on the increase.
Don't give up.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought lots of times about switching to automatic, but there were a few things that kept me on manual-

1. The fact my nan could drive a manual. If my 70 year old nan could drive a manual, so could I!

2. If I go to auto and my parents needed some help when they were older to move their car or take it to an MOT, then i'd be allowed to drive it (As they can both drive manual)

3. I'd heard that autos were for lazy people, so I'd rather learn in a manual to avoid any stick from people.

I've got my manual license now though. I can handle the car fine, it's just navigation and road layouts that confuse me. (The only thing I get a bit confused on is going from 1st from a standstill to moving onto a busy 60mph road... I don't have time to change gear but I can't go to 60 in 1st!)
Strakerias
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xxstace123xx)
Hiya,

Basically I have been learning to drive a manual car 10 months (on/off), I have taken 3 tests:

- second attempt felt a lot more calm, had rescue remedy, but my leg wouldnt stop shaking so I kept stalling and messed up my manouevre
- third attempt yesterday (about 4 months after last test, had about 9 more hours) - had rescue remedy again, tried to calm myself with my breathing. But I stalled about 7 times, not in dangerous places but it was turned to a serious - its so annoying though as I never stall on lessons.

So in the last 2 tests I had no other marks against me for my actual driving, so I put it mainly down to horrible nerves and uncontrollable leg shaking.

Anyway, I feel like giving up now! I don't know whether to carry on manual (even though i have had about 45 hours) and risk the nerves again on a test or try in automatic, I have practiced in an auto before on private land and found it easy to use.

I know you can only use auto with an auto lisence, but the car I plan on buying comes in auto for not much more. (and I have the option to pass in manual once my confidence picks up)

Any advice would be appreciated, as I am pretty unsure which way to go, and I am sick of spending money on it!
Don't give up ma'am.
You will spend more money by giving up and not retaking your test now, because the will to have driving license will become an absolute necessity later in life and you will end up paying double or triple the money of what it is now! DVLA fees goes up every year and so do the driving lessons and so do the petrol prices, Insurance and MOT, so there is no point in giving up.

I fortunately passed mine last week, first attempt, i feel sorry you failed 3x but it is not the end of the world. I think if you look at the pass rates in Britain. 30% of those who had their driving test passed at 5x attempt, which is slightly higher than those that passes in first attempt. The proportion of those who passes their test in first attempt then those in second and third or 4th attempt is really narrow. I don't know why in GB there is many people failing their test but i think it may have to do with "age and education". Students who are school leavers are much less likely to passing their test in first attempt, than those who has an university diploma. Other causes maybe problematic areas and other family Issues.
I came from Portugal and to be honest it is really rare most people to fail in their 2nd attempt and driving tests costs a lot much than in the UK. really a Lot but on the other hand Insurance and Mot is cheaper there.

I wish you all the luck for your next driving test. Don't give up and Keep on practising until you perfect all your manouvers and you become confident .
Hajara12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't give up I have failed my practical test 7 times and I have another tet on Friday next week m scared and worried at the same time I have spent over a grandson driving lessons and tests am tired and exhausted but I don't want to give up,
amyshamblesxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hajara12)
Don't give up I have failed my practical test 7 times and I have another tet on Friday next week m scared and worried at the same time I have spent over a grandson driving lessons and tests am tired and exhausted but I don't want to give up,
Don't get yourself worked up. I passed on my 7th attempt so I know exactly how you are feeling.

Have you been telling people when your tests are? On every single test I failed, I told my parents, boyfriend and work colleagues. On my 7th and final test, only my instructor knew and it REALLY took a lot of the pressure off and helped me relax.

You will get there! :hugs: PM me if you want to talk.
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
don't give up, you'll pass eventually if you keep trying.
bluebell100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xxstace123xx)
Hiya,

Don't give up!

I failed 7 times due to nerves (passed on the 8th go). If you think changing to auto may help do that.

Otherwise, I think one good thing to do is do your test in an area with lots of traffic. That way you may find that a lot of the time in the test is spent waiting in traffic, which helps because they'll have less to judge you on. I passed on my 8th go in an area with lots of traffic, after doing the majority of my previous tests in a quiet area with little traffic.
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)

I've got my manual license now though. I can handle the car fine, it's just navigation and road layouts that confuse me. (The only thing I get a bit confused on is going from 1st from a standstill to moving onto a busy 60mph road... I don't have time to change gear but I can't go to 60 in 1st!)
Jump a gear, dont go up in sequence, if you have the revs and speed you can easily go from 2nd to 4th skipping third enirely.

Same goes for slowing down as well
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)
I thought lots of times about switching to automatic, but there were a few things that kept me on manual-

1. The fact my nan could drive a manual. If my 70 year old nan could drive a manual, so could I!

2. If I go to auto and my parents needed some help when they were older to move their car or take it to an MOT, then i'd be allowed to drive it (As they can both drive manual)

3. I'd heard that autos were for lazy people, so I'd rather learn in a manual to avoid any stick from people.

Thats pathetic, you will let others dictate the kind of vehicle you drive? Seriously? Learning in a manual is the best way for te future but not because you afraid of what strangers will think of your car

OP nerves are your issue not the clutch. Giving up on manual is going to hurt you in the future, pass your test in a manual then switch to auto if you want.
WildeAboutOscar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hajara12)

Don't stress over it, recognize where your weakness is and work on that. Good luck!

Op, you can do this! I was in a similar predicament but kept manual. It'll all be worth it when you eventually get there. Keep going.
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
Thats pathetic, you will let others dictate the kind of vehicle you drive? Seriously? Learning in a manual is the best way for te future but not because you afraid of what strangers will think of your car

OP nerves are your issue not the clutch. Giving up on manual is going to hurt you in the future, pass your test in a manual then switch to auto if you want.
Yeah, it's a pretty pathetic excuse. I don't even know why I typed it. It was a good few months ago though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads