The Student Room Group

People keeping saying I am spoilt

Lately, I’ve had a few diff people tell me I’m spoilt or that ‘I’ve had a lot of help from mummy and daddy’. It is true in a sense, I am quite ‘spoilt’, I’m an only child, so I have nothing wanted for anything. but I'm not the type who asks for 100's and gets it kind of thing. anyway, I’m getting kind of worried; I didn’t know people could see/sense this in others. I don’t act, or come across as spoilt in any way (least I don’t think so) can anyone give me any help on what people may mean what they say this? Are there ways in which I can stop seeming so ‘spoilt’

Thanks all

Scroll to see replies

Why, what has mummy and daddy bought for you in the past 2 years?
Reply 2
UtterNutter69
Why, what has mummy and daddy bought for you in the past 2 years?

last 2 years? um, nothing really. few clothes, and of course things x mas and birthday pressie's. same as everyone else
Do you have a job? I know of friends who everyone thinks is spoilt, she doesn't have a job, gets EMA but still her parents get her everything she needs. Don't worry too much about what other people say, you know your circumstances, who cares if you are spoilt? :smile:
Reply 4
*starry_eyed_*
Do you have a job? I know of friends who everyone thinks is spoilt, she doesn't have a job, gets EMA but still her parents get her everything she needs. Don't worry too much about what other people say, you know your circumstances, who cares if you are spoilt? :smile:

Looking at the moment. Turning out to be very hard. :smile: Fingers crossed tho.
Reply 5
Don't listen to them! They are just jealous. You shouldn't be sorry for the fact that your parents like to give you the best things. Im sure your real friends don't see you as spoilt.
I was lucky enough to have horses while I was growing up and was constantly called spoilt be people at school. I just said, yeah, so what, how does that effect you?? They soon shut up.
Reply 6
Maybe people are jealous of how you get full attention from your parents since your an only child and that you don't have to share with brothers or sisters?

I mean do you say anything that makes people say that your spoilt? Could you give an example?

And plus does it really matter what other people think! :p:

:suith: Sezkin:suith:
Reply 7
Just ignore them. Simple.
It's just jealousy really. I think people, probably me included, get jealous of only childs (k so I don't know the plural?!) because they don't have to share a lot of things... like parents' money hah.

But yeah, it would be nice to be spoilt... *sigh* *glares at stupid brother*
Reply 9
It may be that you have nothing to worry about and people are just kind of joking. But what I find with some people I know who come across as spoilt is that they don't seem to know the real value of money because their parents just give them money all the time. Some people get jealous of this because they feel it's unfair when they have to work really hard and get a job to pay for things when other people just get given money by their parents. If that makes sense? What I find with one of my friends is that she's quite spoilt and her parents would literally do anything for her and that's how she thinks it is for everyone else. For example, the other night we went out and my brother was going to take me home - which meant he had to leave a party to do that and I felt really guilty, whereas that wouldn't bother her because her parents would do that for her. Like, they'd just drop everything for her and she thinks that's what it's like for everyone else, which it isn't. She's used to getting exactly what she wants, in terms of what people will do for her, if you get me? X X X
Reply 10
Sezkin
Maybe people are jealous of how you get full attention from your parents since your an only child and that you don't have to share with brothers or sisters?

I mean do you say anything that makes people say that your spoilt? Could you give an example?

And plus does it really matter what other people think! :p:

:suith: Sezkin:suith:

I'll sometimes say, 'oh dad, gave me money some to go shopping (he does on very rare times) and I brought this'

when I do this, one of my friends always gives me this look as if to say 'here she goes again' it's quite funny now I think of it :biggrin:
I put it down to jealousy. Ignore them, honestly.

My parents do an awful lot for me, they pay for my 2 horses, give me a healthy allowance, buy stuff all the time for me, pay for school, pay contact lenses, I have a beautiful house, bedroom etc....You name, they do. They did it for my brother, too.

At the end of the day, I still have a part time job, I don't take it all for granted, I don't rub peoples faces in it....I simply appreciate having a privileged life and if other people have a problem with it, their problem sort of thing, not mine.

If you're arrogant and belittle people who aren't as lucky as you, well, you ought to be taken down a peg or too as it's not a nice personality trait to have. Be grateful and appreciate what you have and everything should be AOK.
you might unconsciously/unwantingly (if there is such a word) act, pardon the phrasing, like a spoilt brat without knowing you're doing it. try and look at the way you are behaving, take an outsiders viewpoint and look at yourself when with others. are you domineering, do you demand others do as you want, do you show off? im not saying you do, im just trying to help you see if you are the cause of their comments.

otherwise, your friends (or the people who tell you) are jealous and/or are taking the piss. which in that case, you shouldnt worry about, and just joke back or ask them why they say that (if you're bothered to know why)
maybe you just act like a spoiled brat? you might not be able to tell you are doing it. i definitely have friends who act that way and i'm sure they don't realise.
Reply 14
People used to call me spoilt, snob and a rich bitch wheN I wasn't I never did understand why? Anyway after GCSE's I went to a college instead of the schools 6th form.
It's good to be spoilt (to a certain extent) as long as it doesn't affect your behaviour (like stuck up-ness or superiority issues) then you shouldn't really care what other people think. I bet a lot of people would die to be in your position and just want to make you feel negative about it, when in fact calling you spoilt might stem from jealousy.
Reply 16
when people say you are spoilt they're probably just jealous. So what if you are spoilt. ignore the people, its always the best solution
Reply 17
Try going to my school for a day, then you'll understand what spoilt is >.>

I agree that it could be jealousy, I've had people say that to me too but I just agree and laugh it off :p:
Reply 18
people used to comment that i was spoilt sometimes but then one of my friends (you know who you are!) told me i'm not spoilt, just loved. so i stick with that theory now! i don't think it matters as long as you value what's being done for you.
you could be called a lot worse! :p:

i wouldn't worry about it, as long as you don't go round flaunting presents etc (which it doesn't sound like you do)

Latest

Trending

Trending