Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mates car is 2 years old and has done 28k miles with full service history and has been looked after.

The book top speed is 145mph, however earlier when we were trying (just two up..wouldn't make this much difference) it only got upto an indicated 135 and it sat at that for about 4 minutes without going any faster. Now I know speedos over-read, so in reality it was probably only 125ish, meaning it does 20mph less than the book speed. Can he take it back to the dealership under warranty and explain the situation? They advertised that it can do 145mph but it just won't! Only problem is how does he explain it to them, I'm not sure they would want to come out on a test drive :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it can vary depending on the incline of the road, weather conditions and how well your mate can actually drive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    My mates car is 2 years old and has done 28k miles with full service history and has been looked after.

The book top speed is 145mph, however earlier when we were trying (just two up..wouldn't make this much difference) it only got upto an indicated 135 and it sat at that for about 4 minutes without going any faster. Now I know speedos over-read, so in reality it was probably only 125ish, meaning it does 20mph less than the book speed. Can he take it back to the dealership under warranty and explain the situation? They advertised that it can do 145mph but it just won't! Only problem is how does he explain it to them, I'm not sure they would want to come out on a test drive :confused:
    :laugh: They would probably just say that you shouldnt be driving at that speed anyway :p:

Unless this was on private land or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manalishi)
    I'm sure it can vary depending on the incline of the road, weather conditions and how well your mate can actually drive...
    It was sunny and dry, and if anything it was slightly downhill! :confused:

How well he can drive? What do you mean, all he had to do was floor it in 6th and like I said it stuck at 135mph :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)

How well he can drive? What do you mean, all he had to do was floor it in 6th and like I said it stuck at 135mph :confused:
    What the hell are you doing going 135mph on public roads for 4 minutes for?

You just made an important point however, it might be that 5th is where you get your top speed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    You just made an important point however, it might be that 5th is where you get your top speed in.
    No. He had hit the limiter in 5th then shifted upto 6th.

Any other ideas? I think he's guna take it to the dealership at the weekend. They can't advertise it to do 145 if it does 20mph less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)

Well unless it was a dead straight road (unless its on a motorway), he'd have to take the corners well to maintain the speed and when changing gear you have to keep the momentum from the lower gears etc Just things like that I suspect could make a difference...

Was there much of a wind and if so was you driving into it?

ReputationRep:
    There was hardly any wind but it was coming from behind us, again which should have given us more speed.

The road is a very long straight.

ReputationRep:
    Well unless it was a dead straight road (unless its on a motorway), he'd have to take the corners well to maintain the speed and when changing gear you have to keep the momentum from the lower gears etc Just things like that I suspect could make a difference...

Was there much of a wind and if so was you driving into it?
    What car is it?

ReputationRep:
    It could be hundreds of things that mean he couldn't hit 145 mph - tyres, tyre pressures, fuel grade, incline, wind, amount of fuel in tank, weight of driver + passenger. To get the 145mph top speed, you'd probably have to be on one of those 'bowl' Nascar style tracks with a perfect setup. Is the car absolutely stock, or has he done things like put on bigger alloys or something? - because that could affect speedo readings. I'm assuming it's a track day car if he's worried about 10 mph extra at such speeds?

ReputationRep:
    Weight doesn't really have anything to do with top speed. But I doubt the dealer will do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    A Honda Civic Type-R EP3.

It's 100% standard. All four tyres are 4000 miles old, he had half a tank of petrol when we started... and not much left when we'd finished. The tyre pressures were also fine.

ReputationRep:
    The reported speed could also have been done on a dynamometer which would give a different result to if it was on the road...

ReputationRep:
    The reported speed could also have been done on a dynamometer which would give a different result to if it was on the road...
    Bingo. Most new cars are designed and tested on the dyno so the top speed is always kind of a guess.

tbh, if your mate did take it to the garage for mis marketing, they would then take you to court where you would have to admit trying to go twice the legal speed limit on the public road networks :eek: Er...maybe not.

You could try getting it tested at Santa Pod Dragway tho, least its legal then...

Graham

ReputationRep:
    They would kick you out for keeping on the throttle past the finish line. And in a Civic Type-R, you'd have to be flooring in for quite a long way past the finish line, there probably wouldn't even be enough space. It would probably cross the line at about 95mph, it would need a lot of track to get 50 more mph.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, they would probably state that your warranty is now void.

ReputationRep:
    shove it on a rolling road. If the peak bhp/torque figures are out then i'd say you have a problem. Otherwise it'll be very hard to prove this to honda.

ReputationRep:
    If only dynos had any sort of accuracy then yes you would!

ReputationRep:
    most of the dynos at good places aren't too bad. Besides, they'll give you a more accurate figure than just going to honda and saying it won't hit 145 etc.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortuantely that's not true, I have not once in my life seen a dyno figure and thought it made sense. Even when I was at Stanlow oil refinery looking into Optimax, their testing dept. had no faith in their dyno equipment and they had 6 of the same unit; each giving a very different result. These also gave a different result to each of the other dynos they had for testing. You get the idea.

For example, a quantifiable error is that drag coefficients should be calculated for each car (not the same as a Cd released by the manufacturer) but nobody bothers.

It only takes a visit to many a car forum or website to show that my sentiments are shared by many. Most people now do not consider RRs to be accurate at all except to show the difference in one modification. E.g. don't take the results are absolute but relative.

Even so, Honda would probably state that the RR was faulty/inaccurate or that conditions were not up to scratch.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.