Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Tobey Maguire (spiderman) a good actor?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Keanu Reeves is pretty poor, but Maguire is good. Check out Cider House Rules or Seabuscuit for example. Two great films (the former being one of my favourites full stop).

ReputationRep:
    kean reeves isnt too good no but i think tobey maguire was perfectly cast for spiderman and did a pretty good job.

ReputationRep:
    he was good in cider house rules.

ReputationRep:
    Keanu reeves is generally an ok actor, but just is rubbish if badly directed (compare his acting in the first matrix compared to his awful one-liners in the sequels)
    Tobey maguire is ok too, and he carries spiderman well cos he was cast prefectly for that character.
    Christian bale in batman begins though - unbeatable. And hes a Brit :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyD)
    Keanu reeves is generally an ok actor, but just is rubbish if badly directed (compare his acting in the first matrix compared to his awful one-liners in the sequels)
    Tobey maguire is ok too, and he carries spiderman well cos he was cast prefectly for that character.
    Bale is the perfect Batman, hands down the best cast superhero ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    agreed. he was brilliant in batman. its a rare thing to believe that the superhero character your watching is real but he really pulled it off.

ReputationRep:
    tobey maguire is an horrendous actor, probably the worst i may have ever seen
    he is horrible in spiderman
    far too linear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    haha brilliant - agree totally there

Funny, cos all my loser 'tim burton' fan friends still cant get over michael keaton :p:

ReputationRep:

Funny, cos all my loser 'tim burton' fan friends still cant get over michael keaton :p:
    Next time they say that, ask them to picture Michael Keaton kicking several peoples asses at once. It's just_not_possible. Plus he really doesn't do the whole angry brooding thing very well, just comes off as an arrogant ponce.

edit: Though they're still great movies!

ReputationRep:

haha yeh thats because the tim burton films were incredibly perfect.... Batman Begins, terrible!!! Bale might have been closer to the comic book batman, but keaton was wayyy better actor AND batman

yeh toby mcguires ok i suppose! he CAN act.

Thank you!:eek:

According to some people, Tobey Meguire communicates alot of emotions through his eyes while acting and that's supposed to take alot of skill. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Interesting fact: Christian Bale used to go to my school. My friend answered a call from him to our Headmaster the other day and was like 'WAIT, YOU'RE BATMAN!' down the phone. :P

Okay, i'm done - I just find that very exciting. >,<

Anyway, i'm not really sure if I liked Maguire in Spiderman - tbh, I didn't particularly like either of the movies. In Cidar House Rules, as already stated he is excellent however.

ReputationRep:
    Toby, isn't one of my favourites, no. I will agree that he did good in The Cider House Rules.

Keanu is more of a type cast actor. But he does have this strong, silent person image that's good. It was great for him in Speed and The Matrix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeris)
    Toby, isn't one of my favourites, no. I will agree that he did good in The Cider House Rules.

Keanu is more of a type cast actor. But he does have this strong, silent person image that's good. It was great for him in Speed and The Matrix.
    to be honest he was rubbish compared to the others in The Matrix.... maybe because it was the worst character. Important, but rubbish

ReputationRep:
    I dont think hes a good actor to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    he's a horrible actor

and he's friends with leonardo dicaprio!!!
    at the opposite end of the spectrum

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone basing their comments on Spider-Man 1 and 2 exclusively?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.