The Student Room Group
Ok, I've done some research but can someone actually tell me what a mini-pupilage is and what it entails? I feel incredibly naive at the moment and would love to know an adequate definition.
Reply 2
It's work experience for prospective barristers at chambers, where you shadow a counsel. This lasts for a few days to a week.

The work involves mostly reading case bundles (that contain pleadings, affidavits, judgments) and then discussing the merits of the case with the barrister; going to the High Court (or Court of Appeal/House of Lords if you get the chance); and attending solicitor/client meetings.

Normally you would have to sit in the barrister's room for most of the time, if not attending hearings in court - much different from placements at firms where you would get your own desk or cubicle at least. (It's also not convenient to grab snacks and drinks from the pantry with some counsel watching over you from 9 till 5...)
Reply 3
Inquisitive
(It's also not convenient to grab snacks and drinks from the pantry with some counsel watching over you from 9 till 5...)

Did you try?
Reply 4
Inquisitive
(It's also not convenient to grab snacks and drinks from the pantry with some counsel watching over you from 9 till 5...)

Normally they're nice enough to tell you to help yourself. Well most of them, surely?

Except when you do, be prepared for a stupid joke about it that will make you feel like you want to put the drink or whatever back, haha.
Reply 5
Would anyone recommend a mini pupillage to a person who isn't sure about whether they want to be a soliciotr or barrister? Is it good to plan ahead for these things? Well, obviously it is but how exactly...
Reply 6
dreambrook
Would anyone recommend a mini pupillage to a person who isn't sure about whether they want to be a soliciotr or barrister? Is it good to plan ahead for these things? Well, obviously it is but how exactly...

Well, of course. As to why - because you can get a feel for how life as a barrister is like (and that of a solicitor through placements) and then be able to compare and decide on which you prefer more. No one is saying that mini-pupillages are restricted to those fixed on wanting to be a barrister.
Reply 7
I thought I wanted to be a solicitor right up until I had my contract Moot. I found I thoroughly enjoyed it and was actually quite good at it. It has raised some questions in my mind, and as such I am doing vacation placements in a solicitors and a mini-pupillage this summer to try and give me a better idea of what would suit me more.

Latest

Trending

Trending