Undiminished desire for dihydrogen oxide Watch

Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does the consumption of a large cheese tomato pizza with ham, a bowl of ice cream and some fruit per se account for my undiminished desire for dihydrogen oxide, which still occurs after the ingestion of a cup of Hollicks, a cup of tomato juice, and a glass of milk in the past two hours? Two standard portions of aqua have been ingested since. Is this normal?
UtterNutter69
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
Is this normal?
No, and neither are you.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How many mMoles of sodium were there in the pizza?

I'm guessing the ham was salted.
sandra
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by visesh)

good question!
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
(Original post by visesh)

I'm guessing the ham was salted.
Combined sodium content is 24.78 mmol; ****. thats loads - 17% higher than normal plasma level, no wonder why my hypothalamus was stimulated.

However I have one further concern:
this thirst stimulatory mechanism should be turned off as soon as I ingest water; however this was not the case.

Ideas?
Aired
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:bird:
Gio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Aired)
:bird:
:dito:
possibilty that someone has done too much revision today?
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Actually no; I only looked things up as Visesh asked about it, without which I would not have known the things that I said. :p:
CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:bebored:
UtterNutter69
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Matt_2K)
:bebored:
Yeah Im bored of this pointless thread too.
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Combined sodium content is 24.78 mmol; ****. thats loads - 17% higher than normal plasma level, no wonder why my hypothalamus was stimulated.

However I have one further concern:
this thirst stimulatory mechanism should be turned off as soon as I ingest water; however this was not the case.

Ideas?
well i guess water homeostasis takes a bit longer...

as you probably know DE, there are two main thirst stimuli- dry thirst which is immediately satiated upon water ingestion, and physiological thirst which could take longer to.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
You mean the off-switch for thirst is different, depending on whether it's dry thirst or hyperosmotic thirst?
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You mean the off-switch for thirst is different, depending on whether it's dry thirst or hyperosmotic thirst?
well that's what I think...:p: Makes sense though, doesn't it?
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
It makes perfect sense; however we rarely see logical constructs in physiology.

how does the body know whether the water is consumed as a result of hyperosmotic or dry thirst?
Gio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
can't believe I just revised the whole topic about the kidney and dont know what its going on...

renin, juxtaglomerular cell, macula densa, angiotensin I& II, vaospressin

and I've got a physiology unit exam coming up on 6/6
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It makes perfect sense; however we rarely see logical constructs in physiology.

how does the body know whether the water is consumed as a result of hyperosmotic or dry thirst?
well dry thirst is normally cause by a dry mouth and throat, and ingesting water can fix that immediately. hyperosmotic thirst would probably require water to be absorbed fromt eh gut, and taken up by the blood. volume senors (low pressure sensors in the great veins and RA) will have to be sufficiently stimulated. The GFR will have to be changed, and the kidneys will have to detect normal sodium levels before hyperosmotic thirst is satiated.

I haven't started my HOM lectures yet, and spent too much time listening to Sage's piss-up stories and laughing at his slides to learn much, so I am probably just blabbering...
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Shame he took the funny images out of the slides... no I mean by drinking water the reflex should theoretically inhibit drinking desire, a function that failed in my case.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Be cautious, polydipsia may be indicative of inadequately controlled diabetes mellitus or insipidus.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Be cautious, polydipsia may be indicative of inadequately controlled diabetes mellitus or insipidus.
Indeed; but hopefully not. Luckily this polydipsia was not accompanied by polyuria which could be indicative of diabetes.:rolleyes:
Dimez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If ya'll trying to ridicule each other using scientific terminology, I suggest you slip in occipotal lobe epilepsy causing sever visual defects... :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (664)
80.68%
Leave (159)
19.32%

Watched Threads