The Student Room Group

RAF Height Requirement?

Hi, I'm currently interested in becoming a fast jet pilot in the RAF, but I'm a little on the short side (about 5'3"), and not likely to grow a lot more, so I'm wondering whether or not I'll qualify.

I know it's measured in terms of how well you fit into the plane and stuff, and I can reach the pedals in a PA-28 (Cherokee Challenger) with the seat pulled forward, and with a couple of cushions I can see relatively well over the canopy. Those planes are definitely built for men...and not small ones at that. Are jets any different?
For the navy min is like 149cm which is about 4"something, so ulll probably b fine. Great thing to do good luck hope it works out for u! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: I'm also about 10kg under the minimum weight, but that's a bit more changeable so I'll worry about that later.
Reply 3
Original post by Intrigue
Hi, I'm currently interested in becoming a fast jet pilot in the RAF, but I'm a little on the short side (about 5'3"), and not likely to grow a lot more, so I'm wondering whether or not I'll qualify.

I know it's measured in terms of how well you fit into the plane and stuff, and I can reach the pedals in a PA-28 (Cherokee Challenger) with the seat pulled forward, and with a couple of cushions I can see relatively well over the canopy. Those planes are definitely built for men...and not small ones at that. Are jets any different?

I didn't think the RAF had a height requirement but at 5'3 I think you should be ok?
Reply 4

Original post by Soft Cat
I didn't think the RAF had a height requirement but at 5'3 I think you should be ok?

It's not about jets, it's about ejector seats [as far as height for Pilot is concerned, no other Branch really matters]. And even then, while there are limits in place, they're functional ones, not really something you can measure yourself.
5'3 is probably towards the lower end of the spectrum, especially in the roomier cockpits these days. You won't know for certain unless you go through selection.
However, the greater area of concern is the fact the RAF aren't recruiting Pilots at the moment and probably not for the foreseeable future!

EDIT: However, as OP is 15, they've got time decidedly on their hands!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
As flippant and prattish as the above sounds, he makes a point. You don't apply to be a fast jet pilot, you apply for Pilot; your skills and the needs of the service decide where, if at all, you end up.
Reply 6
I'm sorry, I should have been a little clearer in my post. I know about the selection thing, and that it all depends on aptitude - the question I was asking here was just how my height would affect my chances of both getting in and being selected for fast jet, if it affects it at all.

But no biggie - just a little communications hiccup :wink:

Thanks for all the answers, by the way!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm sorry, I should have been a little clearer in my post. I know about the selection thing, and that it all depends on aptitude - the question I was asking here was just how my height would affect my chances of both getting in and being selected for fast jet, if it affects it at all.

But no biggie - just a little communications hiccup :wink:

Thanks for all the answers, by the way!

It doesn't "all" depend on aptitude, that merely determines if you'll get in. Once staretd you've then got to pass all the requisite parts of flying training, from EFT onwards. You could have perfect aptitude scores but if your ears go pop every time and you can't work the radio, then you're out of luck.

Height definitely will play a part. But saying "I'm 5'3" is in no way helpful. Your body size is broken down to individual elements and then assessed against what's being used. There's no real way of knowing what's goign to happen until you go through selection because there's no way you can get the same anthropometric data on yourself.
Reply 8
Argh, I'm still wording things wrongly >.< I didn't mean the tests, I meant aptitude as in overall suitability. Including the ability to fly the planes, which I do have a basic understanding of already, and the hours in my log book to prove it.

And that is why I included the bit about the PA-28. I was hoping someone would have some kind of idea of the cockpit size of the aircraft used by the RAF, and maybe even a comparison, just so I can get a vague idea of what my chances are. For all I know, they could be as spacious as an airliner or as cramped as the back seat of a Mini.
Reply 9
Argh, I'm still wording things wrongly >.< I didn't mean the tests, I meant aptitude as in overall suitability. Including the ability to fly the planes, which I do have a basic understanding of already, and the hours in my log book to prove it.

And that is why I included the bit about the PA-28. I was hoping someone would have some kind of idea of the cockpit size of the aircraft used by the RAF, and maybe even a comparison, just so I can get a vague idea of what my chances are. For all I know, they could be as spacious as an airliner or as cramped as the back seat of a Mini.

They vary. The size of the Tutor's cockpit is different to the Tucano's is different to the Hawk's is different to the Typhoon's. And all of them are different to the Squirrel, to the Merlin, to the Hercules...

But the thing is, it's not about the space it's about your functional reach once inside and, if applicable, the limits of the ejector seats. I know guys who are 6'5 and got accepted. I know guys who were 6'5 and got turned down.
You're looking for a 2+2=4 style answer in a situation where one doesn't exist. If you're not already, join the ATC and get some flying time in a Tutor through AEF and, if at all possible, some other FJ types. Then you might have some idea. But even then, you could get completely the wrong end of the stick. You won't know until you go through selection.
Reply 10

hi, I'm also 5'3 and I wanted to join the RAF to become a pilot. I called them to ask them and they said 5'3 is fine, so no worries. best of luck
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
You won't know until you go through selection.

^^This, this, a million times this^^

As he said it's not just about height, it's about all the lengths of your upper and lower arms, legs and torso. As well as how far you can reach (i.e. from your shoulder to your thumb) and many more. Just go and get measured at selection and you'll get your answer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by t-swiper
hi, I'm also 5'3 and I wanted to join the RAF to become a pilot. I called them to ask them and they said 5'3 is fine, so no worries. best of luck

It's fine if all your other proportions are fine. They gave you a simple throwaway answer that, for most, will probably be right. But take it with a pinch of salt. Some people who are 5'3 will pass. Some people who are 5'3 might fail.
Hi Intrigue

This may not be what you want to hear but I hope it'll help in the long run.

I'm a very similar height to you and applied as RAF aircrew a few years ago. I knew that I was going to be close to the limits but decided to give it a shot anyway. Unfortunately I didn't get through the anthropometric measurements - under for both sitting height and functional reach. It was a matter of millimetres but they don't budge on the limits.

Even though the odds were stacked against me from the start, falling down at the last hurdle was pretty devastating! However, I have known others who are a similar height to me get through as aircrew by a whisker. And if you are wondering - there is no way of 'cheating' the measurements - they get you sitting in very specific position so that they can be accurate to the millimetre.

Also, most people at 5'3'' will probably be close on the weight limit too. I think it's something like 57kg minimum so if you go for it make sure you eat some pies if needs be!

Once again, sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but if you know this now it might save some heartache if things don't work out. Remember, these anthro requirements are aircrew specific only. You may find yourself being offered an alternative ground branch if you impress at OASC. For me it was aircrew or nothing!

Give me a shout if you need any more info.

NF
Argh, I'm still wording things wrongly .

Thats just Drewski, he is finicky, though completely correct of course.

Genuine advice, do stretches and height increasing excersizes, your growth plates close in 2 years at age 17.

At 5ft3 you will probably pass the initial height requirement but are not likely to pass the limb length requirements.your buttocks to knee length must be within a certain range and so must your reach length and sitting height. Im 5ft9 and i barely passed the arm reach when i did it.

you also need to be an officer with reasonably high brain power and quick reactions.

if you grow a bit more you could deffinitely do it,but at your current height its not likely.
Original post by Louisbo12
At 5ft3 you will probably pass the initial height requirement but are not likely to pass the limb length requirements.your buttocks to knee length must be within a certain range and so must your reach length and sitting height. Im 5ft9 and i barely passed the arm reach when i did it.

you also need to be an officer with reasonably high brain power and quick reactions.

if you grow a bit more you could deffinitely do it,but at your current height its not likely.

Louisbo,

This thread is three year old!

Latest