This discussion is closed.
glorkiebeans
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey, I always thought that the first sitting was taking the exam for the first time, and the second sitting was if you had to repeat the same exam again. Is this the case?

For example, im taking Higher Chemistry this year (6th year). I did not take it last year, so would this be classed as a first or second sitting?

Thanks!
Slumpy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would say so, yes. And first sitting.
JackE5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by glorkiebeans)
Hey, I always thought that the first sitting was taking the exam for the first time, and the second sitting was if you had to repeat the same exam again. Is this the case?

For example, im taking Higher Chemistry this year (6th year). I did not take it last year, so would this be classed as a first or second sitting?

Thanks!
No and No. First sitting is when you sit the majority of your Highers, so you can take 1 a year early and thats not counted but say if you sat 3 Highers in 5th year, thats 1st sitting. If it was the way you were saying, it would mean if you don't retake anything you could technically have 8 first sitting.
animelover123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Thanks!
1st sitting= Results obtained in 5th Year
2nd Sitting= Results obtained in 5th and 6th year.
AnnB
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by animelover123)
1st sitting= Results obtained in 5th Year
2nd Sitting= Results obtained in 5th and 6th year.
The above, unless you didn't sit highers in 5th year but sat them in 6th when 6th year would be your first sitting.
glorkiebeans
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnnB)
The above, unless you didn't sit highers in 5th year but sat them in 6th when 6th year would be your first sitting.
Well yeah thats what im saying. This is the first year i'm taking higher chemistry (i.e i didnt take it in 5th year), so this would count as a first sitting?
AnnB
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well yeah thats what im saying. This is the first year i'm taking higher chemistry (i.e i didnt take it in 5th year), so this would count as a first sitting?
If you take some highers in 5th year and some in 6th year then that is 2 sittings.
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Say you got AABBC in your Highers in S5. This is what universitys take as your first sitting of Highers. And base an offer on these grades on your Highers and AH's for your second sitting (this year) Although this is your first sitting of Chemistry. It's in your second sitting of highers, as far as universitys are concerned. Since this is your second year of doing Highers.
glorkiebeans
Rep:
?
Ah right ok, thanks for elaborating
OpenArms
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But if you do 5 int 2's in 5th year then gain 5 A's in five highers in 6th year, you would have obtained those highers in your second sitting.
AnnB
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by OpenArms)
But if you do 5 int 2's in 5th year then gain 5 A's in five highers in 6th year, you would have obtained those highers in your second sitting.
No because 6th year would be your first sitting of highers.
Direct15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm now even more confused - so what if you sat your highers in 5th year and adv in 6th - what sitting is that ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
TheFOMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Direct15)
I'm now even more confused - so what if you sat your highers in 5th year and adv in 6th - what sitting is that ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Scottish Uni's:

S5- first sitting
S6- second sitting

For English Universities: S6 AH's: 1st sitting.
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Second sitting is when you have to retake an exam.
AnnB
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheFOMaster)
Scottish Uni's:

S5- first sitting
S6- second sitting

For English Universities: S6 AH's: 1st sitting.
Yes, but if you don't take any highers until 6th year then that will be your first sitting of highers.
TheFOMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AnnB)
Yes, but if you don't take any highers until 6th year then that will be your first sitting of highers.
I was answering his question specifically That is true.
DJE/2019
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im in same situation but more confused than ever. Needed AAAB first sitting but never achieved that instead got ABCC .Only one i need to resit is English to get a B or above and other 3 subjects are new highers building on from my NAT 5 results , plus 1 advanced higher. 2nd sitting i need AAAABB so from this do i need to get 3 A's plus a B .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed