Turn on thread page Beta

Are children affected watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    by sexual imagery on television.

MODS DON'T DELETE PLEASE IT IS A QUESTION FOR MY DISSERTATION I JUST WANT OPINIONS!!

There is currently very little sexual imagery before the watershed, generally the closest to sex is a couple kissing and heading to the bedroom. do you think kids understand what is going on (I mean like pre teen) and do you think this affects them.
    Do any of you remember seeing anything your self as a child, did it affect you??
    Do you think it is too easy for children to watch tv after watershed due to tv's in their rooms, and do you think the parents that complain about sex even after watershed should take a good look at their own parenting ways??

Thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazza)

MODS DON'T DELETE PLEASE IT IS A QUESTION FOR MY DISSERTATION I JUST WANT OPINIONS!!

There is currently very little sexual imagery before the watershed, generally the closest to sex is a couple kissing and heading to the bedroom. do you think kids understand what is going on (I mean like pre teen) and do you think this affects them.
    Do any of you remember seeing anything your self as a child, did it affect you??
    Do you think it is too easy for children to watch tv after watershed due to tv's in their rooms, and do you think the parents that complain about sex even after watershed should take a good look at their own parenting ways??

Thankyou!!
    most kids av tvs in their rooms and so can view after watershed. i mean, i even had a no more than 10 year old boy ask me for a shag a few months back! and a girl behind me with her friends of about 12 where like "il suck it for you". its diabolical!

dont just blame the tv tho, a lot of parents r becomin more and more inconsierate to this kind of thing. im sure the age of virginity lose now is soemthin like 12! its stupid! i ahave been bought up bein told everythin about sex properly, and if ever somethin happene don tv wen i was little my parents wud explain y. but they always made it clear it was out of love and never used dirty words like 'shag' '****in' or owt like that.

its gettin worse and will carry on gettin worse. mostkids do it nowaday to look good, get in the in-crowd or to stop bullyin.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a hard question, but I do think that children are effected, I mean if you watched footballers wives you saw how obscene it was. And that is on a 9-10.

Of course kids are going to be wondering what the hell is going on, and if they are obsessed one person who involved in a sexual scene on T.V they might try and re-create it...etc.

ReputationRep:

Thankyou!!
    If they do understand whats going on, then the fact that they are seeing it wont affect them.
    I don't remember much from my childhood, and certainly nothing like that.
    I think that it isn't too easy really. It is mainly down to responsible parenting.
    For example, my brother's 8, and we share a room. I've got a TV, and he watches it while he's in bed, and this is past watershed. And he hasn't been affected by anything particularly thats been on.
    But i guess he is a little young though to understand fully.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think the official average age for losing your virginity is still 17 for girls, 16 for boys, but there are still a lot of kids doing it a lot before then. Whether or not that's due to the portrayal of sex in the media (it's not just on TV - there are magazines for 10 year olds giving advice on dating and boys), I'm not sure.

I don't think young children should have TVs in their rooms. Teenagers maybe, and at times I wish that I did, because it would make the endless fights over what to watch more bearable (when there are 4 people in the family, only one TV and everyone wants to watch something different, it can get interesting!) But I don't see the point in letting primary school age children have their own TV, and even if they do, they shouldn't be allowed to watch it late at night.

I've known about sex since I was about 3, but I was told about it when my Mum was pregnant with my sister, so for years I thought that people only had sex to make babies, but at least I knew what was going on, I guess. I always used to get really embarassed when people were kissing on TV, but I don't think it affected my actual attitude. Sometimes I think that it goes too far before the watershed, like the episode of Eastenders that was basically entirely dedicated to Alfie hunting for a condom so he and Kat could get it on - that's a bit OTT, even though there were no explicit images, is that storyline particularly suitable for a show that's on in family viewing time? But then all the characters in soaps are always sleeping with everyone, so they're not particularly good examples.

If they do understand whats going on, then the fact that they are seeing it wont affect them.
    I disagree. Even if kids do know what's happening, they can still be affected by what they see and it can form perceptions (positive or negative) of what "normal" is.

So yes, I think that sexual imagery does affect children; although it may not be directly damaging, it shapes their ideas of what kinds of behaviour is normal and what is not (I mean, would you really want your child to grow up to be Kat Slater?). I think that parents should teach their kids about these things early on though, so it's not something to giggle and be ignorant about - that's where the problems arise!

ReputationRep:

Thankyou!!
    My son is five and I don't object to him watching very mild nudity or kissing and cuddling ie. no more than he would watch me and my husband. I don't want him to grow up prudish or scared of intamacy. I have more of a problem with violence than sex.
    It doesn't affect them at all except things like rape and domestic violence which I wouldn't let him watch anyway.
    He does have a TV in his room and would rather watch Spongebob than anything else, he thinks kissing is boring.

ReputationRep:
    I do actually remember myself seeing things like James Bod as a child, and getting terribly embarassed, and pretending I wasn't watching when people kissed and things. I wonder if perhaps it effects your inhibitions in later life?? anyone else think it might??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, I think the official average age for losing your virginity is still 17 for girls, 16 for boys, but there are still a lot of kids doing it a lot before then. Whether or not that's due to the portrayal of sex in the media (it's not just on TV - there are magazines for 10 year olds giving advice on dating and boys), I'm not sure.

I don't think young children should have TVs in their rooms. Teenagers maybe, and at times I wish that I did, because it would make the endless fights over what to watch more bearable (when there are 4 people in the family, only one TV and everyone wants to watch something different, it can get interesting!) But I don't see the point in letting primary school age children have their own TV, and even if they do, they shouldn't be allowed to watch it late at night.

I've known about sex since I was about 3, but I was told about it when my Mum was pregnant with my sister, so for years I thought that people only had sex to make babies, but at least I knew what was going on, I guess. I always used to get really embarassed when people were kissing on TV, but I don't think it affected my actual attitude. Sometimes I think that it goes too far before the watershed, like the episode of Eastenders that was basically entirely dedicated to Alfie hunting for a condom so he and Kat could get it on - that's a bit OTT, even though there were no explicit images, is that storyline particularly suitable for a show that's on in family viewing time? But then all the characters in soaps are always sleeping with everyone, so they're not particularly good examples.

I disagree. Even if kids do know what's happening, they can still be affected by what they see and it can form perceptions (positive or negative) of what "normal" is.

So yes, I think that sexual imagery does affect children; although it may not be directly damaging, it shapes their ideas of what kinds of behaviour is normal and what is not (I mean, would you really want your child to grow up to be Kat Slater?). I think that parents should teach their kids about these things early on though, so it's not something to giggle and be ignorant about - that's where the problems arise!
    Do you have kids yourself, it sounds like you don't. Have you actually seen sex on Eastenders? I never have. It is implied and talked about, kids don't understand inuenndoes. It's not what's on TV that matters, its other factors such as music. What 10 year old wants to be like Kat Slater? They want to be Britney or Christina. Howver, I agree it's when parents dont talk about sex that real problems arise.

ReputationRep:
    I do actually remember myself seeing things like James Bod as a child, and getting terribly embarassed, and pretending I wasn't watching when people kissed and things. I wonder if perhaps it effects your inhibitions in later life?? anyone else think it might??
    Ermm... not really. The stuff on Bond (not bod btw) is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff.
    E.g. my brother saw that Sex and the City advert, with the warning at the start of it, but again, i think he's a little to young to understand.

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching a women getting up to something against a fridge, I always wondered i he was hurting her? So it really put me off sex....not that i was on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Britain)
    Do you have kids yourself, it sounds like you don't. Have you actually seen sex on Eastenders? I never have. It is implied and talked about, kids don't understand inuenndoes. It's not what's on TV that matters, its other factors such as music. What 10 year old wants to be like Kat Slater? They want to be Britney or Christina. Howver, I agree it's when parents dont talk about sex that real problems arise.
    No, I'm only 19. I don't actually watch Eastenders much, but did see that memorable episode. I know it's not actually explicit sex, but that's not to say children don't understand what's happening. I couldn't agree more that parents need to be open about these things though - the makers of Eastenders say that episodes like the one mentioned "Give parents an opportunity to discuss such issues with their children." I don't remember them being asked to be agents of social control.

I do think that violence is a much greater problem on pre-watershed shows, but that what sex scenes/implications there are do have an effect. Perhaps not on children as young as yours, but in pre-teens, I would definitely think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    most kids av tvs in their rooms and so can view after watershed. i mean, i even had a no more than 10 year old boy ask me for a shag a few months back! and a girl behind me with her friends of about 12 where like "il suck it for you". its diabolical!

dont just blame the tv tho, a lot of parents r becomin more and more inconsierate to this kind of thing. im sure the age of virginity lose now is soemthin like 12! its stupid! i ahave been bought up bein told everythin about sex properly, and if ever somethin happene don tv wen i was little my parents wud explain y. but they always made it clear it was out of love and never used dirty words like 'shag' '****in' or owt like that.

its gettin worse and will carry on gettin worse. mostkids do it nowaday to look good, get in the in-crowd or to stop bullyin.
    i quite agree with you. You are getting kids younger and younger talking about sex, and "snogging" and everything. And you get kids who think they are being cool when they say "Oh yer, i got head from her".

ReputationRep:
    nowadays u get 10 - 14 year old buyin MORE magazine!!!! whats the main purpose of that mag...? i caught my 9 year old neice readin the position of the fornight page and dya no wot she said? "look aunty lou lou, theyr havin sex" i said "i no, but dont u think u shud not read that til ur older" and she replied "no, im gona do it soon anyway. danny asked me". i asked her what she meant and she said have sex. bein a kid i thoguht she meant kissin but she said "no, we are goin to have proper sex, like it shows here. but dont worry aunty lou lou, im not older enough to get a baby in my tummmy yet"

and that is tru to life!! my sister went ape at her mind when i told her... then u say sex doesnt have an influence on kiddies these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, I'm only 19. I don't actually watch Eastenders much, but did see that memorable episode. I know it's not actually explicit sex, but that's not to say children don't understand what's happening. I couldn't agree more that parents need to be open about these things though - the makers of Eastenders say that episodes like the one mentioned "Give parents an opportunity to discuss such issues with their children." I don't remember them being asked to be agents of social control.

I do think that violence is a much greater problem on pre-watershed shows, but that what sex scenes/implications there are do have an effect. Perhaps not on children as young as yours, but in pre-teens, I would definitely think so.
    Congratulations on an articulate and thoughtful response. I think you are partly right on older children. However it's not just TV. For children going through puberty, everything affects them. The war in Iraq had more of an affect on my friends teenage daughter than ever seeing a couple having a snog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    nowadays u get 10 - 14 year old buyin MORE magazine!!!! whats the main purpose of that mag...? i caught my 9 year old neice readin the position of the fornight page and dya no wot she said? "look aunty lou lou, theyr havin sex" i said "i no, but dont u think u shud not read that til ur older" and she replied "no, im gona do it soon anyway. danny asked me". i asked her what she meant and she said have sex. bein a kid i thoguht she meant kissin but she said "no, we are goin to have proper sex, like it shows here. but dont worry aunty lou lou, im not older enough to get a baby in my tummmy yet"

and that is tru to life!! my sister went ape at her mind when i told her... then u say sex doesnt have an influence on kiddies these days?
    as i said, i reckon the main reason they doing it is because they want to be cool. A while back, i was walking home with my best mate, and a bunch of 10yr olds came out and said "Hey girl, that lad wants to f**k you".

And i decied to be smart and i turned around and said "Thats impossible cos we are both gay". That shut them up, i can tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    as i said, i reckon the main reason they doing it is because they want to be cool. A while back, i was walking home with my best mate, and a bunch of 10yr olds came out and said "Hey girl, that lad wants to f**k you".

And i decied to be smart and i turned around and said "Thats impossible cos we are both gay". That shut them up, i can tell you.
    Most 10 year olds haven't got a clue what they are talking about. 10 and 11 year olds swear because they not only think it will shock, but they really do think it is big and clever. 10 year olds on their own wouldn't have a clue about the implications of sex. It's when older children are involved, not only brothers or sisters. Many a time I have seen a girl maybe as young as 8 or 9 wearing miniskirts and halterneck tops with high heels. I think parents who allow their children to dress like that are really asking for trouble, especially from older children who know what it is all about. How many have smoked because they want to look coll even though they hated it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Britain)
    Most 10 year olds haven't got a clue what they are talking about. 10 and 11 year olds swear because they not only think it will shock, but they really do think it is big and clever. 10 year olds on their own wouldn't have a clue about the implications of sex. It's when older children are involved, not only brothers or sisters. Many a time I have seen a girl maybe as young as 8 or 9 wearing miniskirts and halterneck tops with high heels. I think parents who allow their children to dress like that are really asking for trouble, especially from older children who know what it is all about. How many have smoked because they want to look coll even though they hated it?
    i know loads of people like that, and i know where your coming from. I was in the pub a while back and saw this nice looking girl. Wearing reveling kind of clothes. She seemed about 14-16. But when i asked her how old she was, she said she was 12.

(Original post by Dude)
    i know loads of people like that, and i know where your coming from. I was in the pub a while back and saw this nice looking girl. Wearing reveling kind of clothes. She seemed about 14-16. But when i asked her how old she was, she said she was 12.
    I think that children are becoming more aware of sex early on in life. My brother (who was 7 at the time) got a sex ed lesson. And its discusting how they use the language. This also links the problem with underage sex, and the teenage pregnancy. I hate year 7's who run around going "give us a sh*g", its tottaly wrong if you ask me. And as dude has said above its disgraceful that childrens perants let them dress up as if they are older teens and if you look at how young the girls who go to town at the weekend they are half as short as you and they have masked so much makeup on they look 3 years older. Its bad, I just hope when i have kids they don't act like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)
    I think that children are becoming more aware of sex early on in life. My brother (who was 7 at the time) got a sex ed lesson. And its discusting how they use the language. This also links the problem with underage sex, and the teenage pregnancy. I hate year 7's who run around going "give us a sh*g", its tottaly wrong if you ask me. And as dude has said above its disgraceful that childrens perants let them dress up as if they are older teens and if you look at how young the girls who go to town at the weekend they are half as short as you and they have masked so much makeup on they look 3 years older. Its bad, I just hope when i have kids they don't act like this.
    Thats another thing. It's the governments fault. They are the ones who said kids should have sex ed earlier. They did it to combat the problem of teengage preganys. If you ask me, they are making itr worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)
    i bet if someone said "go on then" and started to take them off to "have sex" (kinda as a joke) they wudnt go theyd run off!

and i see 10 - 14 yr olds dressin the way they do, and i dont dress like that and im nearly 18! (not to go shopin in anyhow, maybe out on the town) but come on. on out of uniform days, esp the yr 9s, they come in mini skirts and tooooooo revealing tops! then wen older lads look (and younger) atv the boobs or woteva they brand them perves!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.