Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Time turner daft watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they just use it to sneak up behind Volders and pop a cap in his ass? JK didnt really give a good enough reason why it can't often be used....they could use it so that none of the users would see their former selves.

ReputationRep:
    I think she foresaw this problem which is why in OotP she made sure that during the battle in the ministry every time turner conveniently manages to get destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    Its not just that. Havn't you ever heard of the Butterfly Effect? "A butterfly flapping its wings, can start a hurricane on the other side of the world". It means that the smallest of changes can make the biggest of differances.

You can't just go and kill Voldemort in the past because you have no idea how it will effect the future.

ReputationRep:
    Am i dreaming?? but didnt JK say on her website somewhere that all the time-turners were destroyed in the ministry of magic when all them went up there in order of the pheonix.

Please say im not gonig insane somebody!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)
    Am i dreaming?? but didnt JK say on her website somewhere that all the time-turners were destroyed in the ministry of magic when all them went up there in order of the pheonix.

Please say im not gonig insane somebody!
    Try reading the second post, and note she also said in in ootp itself :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also, popping a cap in Voldys ass would be a little tricky, as wizards dont know how to use technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malik)
    Try reading the second post, and note she also said in in ootp itself :p:
    Oh, lol, see i knew i read it somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    If voldy was killed in the past, harry would be fighting the extremely powerful forces of....

Nevile Longbottom...

Arrg...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverClaws)
    If voldy was killed in the past, harry would be fighting the extremely powerful forces of....

Nevile Longbottom...

Arrg...

Thats not funny, thats my point in my eariler post.

If you went back in time and killed Voldemort, you wouldn't know how it would effect the future. A greater evil would most likely take his place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Thats not funny, thats my point in my eariler post.

If you went back in time and killed Voldemort, you wouldn't know how it would effect the future. A greater evil would most likely take his place.

:O But you could use that argument for not killing him full stop. You can't really get much greater evil than wanting to kill everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah how come hermione didnt use a time turner to get sirius back and change what happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serina M)
    Yeah how come hermione didnt use a time turner to get sirius back and change what happened?
    Because it would be morally wrong. I think the point she's trying to make is that you can't change things that happened in the past just so you can be happy. It can cause so many other problems like Dude said. Death is a natural part of life and you can't just go changing things to suit yourself because you lost someone you love.

What's going to be said next... why doesn't Harry go back to before he was born and destroy Voldermort then and stop his parents from dying? It kind of defeats the point really. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serina M)
    and all the time turners were destroyed before sirius died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    :O But you could use that argument for not killing him full stop. You can't really get much greater evil than wanting to kill everybody.
    And that is still my main point. You can't go around changing history cos you don't know what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    But everything we do changes history. There's no avoiding it, is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    But everything we do changes history. There's no avoiding it, is there.
    The question of the thread is why can't Harry and that go back in time and make it so Voldemort didn't exist (thats the way I see it). And what I am saying is that they can't go back in time and do that because everything would change. They might accientally kill off someone else

ReputationRep:
    But you said that if you killed Voldemort, you wouldn't know how it would affect the future. My point was, you wouldn't know how it would affect the future even if you did it in the present!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.