Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry to bother anybody, I have looked back at some other similar questions but still can't find what I'm looking for. Basically we're resubmitting our AS coursework this year because we all did poorly last year. Reason being, the teachers gave us absolutely no input and left it all to the last minute. Anyway history seems to be repeating itself, even though we nagged and nagged, we're just starting it now.

We haven't been given a coursework title, but I assume it will be 'how does the concentration of catalase effect the rate of reaction'.

We did the experiment and got our results. But now I'm kind of stuck. I understand I have to do a graph, but do I do a line of best fit or just join the points together??

And then I need to do a conclusion and evaluation. Could anybody give me any tips what I need to put in the two, and what other knowledge I could link into it, such as enzmyes etc. We really haven't been told anything. Or if there are any websites with similar info on it.

Sorry again for the long post, I'm just a bit stumped and really want to do well this year x

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing AQA? If so:

Yes, you have to do a line of best fit. In the analysis/conclusion you have to describe patterns in your results fully and maybe do some calculations likes rates of reactions (gradient of graph). Then you have to use scientific detail to explain why your results turned out as they did i.e. explaining in detail exactly how and why substrate conc affects rate of reaction - what effect substrate concentration has on enzyme activity and so on. That should all be pretty straightforward if you've already done AS anyway.

In the evaluation you have to identify any anamalous results in the data and give reasons why they might have occured (e.g. fluctuations in temp have an effect on enzyme activity too). Suggest where your experiment may have not been perfect and also suggest 3 or 4 improvements that could be made to get more accurate results.

Check out the spec. cos it tells you exactly what you have to write to get the top marks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much, I've had a go, and I think its bettter than my first attempt so figners crossed! xx

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the sheets whic clearly describe all the dufferent bullet points for each skill? We have it for each skill, and its like the best ever - you jst do what each point says and string them together to make a sentance. lol Hope your sorted

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.