Durham Vs Bristol Vs Notts Vs St Andrews

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Sparkly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Which one would you choose and why? I've got offers for Psychology- went to Bristol the other day and quite liked it. Going to the others later this month. I'm finding it really hard to choose.
Which is considered as most prestigious generally (well, I might as well go to the one with a decent rep- wouldn't you?!!)? All unconditional (post A level) so grades aren't an issue.

Please help because I'm seriously floundering in choosing one.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
Which one would you choose and why? I've got offers for Psychology- went to Bristol the other day and quite liked it. Going to the others later this month. I'm finding it really hard to choose.
Which is considered as most prestigious generally (well, I might as well go to the one with a decent rep- wouldn't you?!!)? All unconditional (post A level) so grades aren't an issue.

this probably isnt going to help but i really wouldnt put that much weight into any responses you get, you know whats coming, people will argue in favour of unis they are at or have chosen and against others which are of a similar standard

i would say bristol or notts because the lack of social life and nightlife at durham and st.andrews completly put me off going there(plus i'd never heard of durham)

the prestige thing isnt going to help you either as like i have said they are all pretty much of the same standard and current league tables will be completly different to those of three years time. notts has been top of the times table for the past years but i heard something yesterday that i would have liked to have known when i was applying, dodgyness of the department.

the courses may well differ, nottingham doesnt offer any forensic or criminology (ie the trendy interesting bits )which i was quite disappointed to hear and is very science based.

so hmm..go to the open days, check out the atmosphere and think to yourself can i see myself spending the next three years of my life here, check out the prices of things, see if you can look at the 2nd year accomodation, what i mean is dont just go and see all the pretty buildings and be blown over, thats simply just a waste of time
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Come to Notts with me!!
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)

Nottingham has the best psych department in the UK at the moment...but when I applied last year it was 3rd or 4th so it may well change before you get here! I haven't been to the others, so I can't really comment.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nottingham,Durham,Bristol,St Andrews
TommyP
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm stuck between Nottingham and Bristol myself!! Its so hard,theyre both nice places which are big enough and have a good social scene. It's AAB (Bristol) vs. ABB (Nott) though, so I'll probably be going for Nottingham in the end. I do feel disappointed for Bristol though cuz I'd love to go there too.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TommyP)
I'm stuck between Nottingham and Bristol myself!! Its so hard,theyre both nice places which are big enough and have a good social scene. It's AAB (Bristol) vs. ABB (Nott) though, so I'll probably be going for Nottingham in the end. I do feel disappointed for Bristol though cuz I'd love to go there too.
bristol is a beautiful city :cool:
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TommyP)

nottinghams a dark and violent place,id choose bnristol

in 2007 its 500 milion pound redevelopment of the broadmead will be complete,plus its the only core city to compete with other european cities as far as growth.

its got great job opportunities and also,it has the best links with london,while nottinghams train links with london are worse than derby and leicester

NOTTINGHAM CRIME

theft of a vehicle 38.8

theft of a motor vehicle 15.1

burglery 28.6

robbery 7.7

sexual offences 1.9

violence against a person 27.8

BRISTOLS CRIME

vehicle 31

motor 16.4

burglery 19.3

robbery 6.7

sexual offences 1.7

violence against a person 23.3

as you can see nottingham has more crime than bristol,from these official government stats,plus this is doner per thousand people as well

id choose bristol

if you do go to notingham,go to beeston halls,do not choose raleigh
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by andyreid)
nottinghams a dark and violent place,id choose bnristol
Not this again! Go 4 nottingham.

If you have ever studied methodology you would know that you cannot fully trust stats. Reseaecher influences will lead them to say what the creator wants them to say.
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
Not this again! Go 4 nottingham.

If you have ever studied methodology you would know that you cannot fully trust stats. Reseaecher influences will lead them to say what the creator wants them to say.

ha ha ha,the old "cant trust stats again"

lol

nottingham didnt get voted in he top 15 cities in the uk by 82 000 readers of the nast conde traveller,leeds came first,then london etc

lady luck said peterboorugh was rougher than st anns and said peterborough had drive by shootings(lol i know strange) even though i know for a fact it doesnt

i wouldnt trust ladyluck
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ha ha ha,the old "cant trust stats again"

lol

nottingham didnt get voted in he top 15 cities in the uk by 82 000 readers of the nast conde traveller,leeds came first,then london etc

lady luck said peterboorugh was rougher than st anns and said peterborough had drive by shootings(lol i know strange) even though i know for a fact it doesnt

i wouldnt trust ladyluck

Yes, but Leeds came first, so they must be wrong.

But really, crime in Nottingham really isn't that bad. There's a higher proportion of robberies, but that's easily solved with a bit of common sense and security.

And comparing it to Bristol, the crime capital of the world, won't do much good.

You, sir, are incorrect.
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Yes, but Leeds came first, so they must be wrong.

But really, crime in Nottingham really isn't that bad. There's a higher proportion of robberies, but that's easily solved with a bit of common sense and security.

And comparing it to Bristol, the crime capital of the world, won't do much good.

You, sir, are incorrect.

lmao ive just showed you the stats,so nottingham has higher crime rate,but leed sis crime capital??????????????

lol are you going to uni????????lol
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lmao ive just showed you the stats,so nottingham has higher crime rate,but leed sis crime capital??????????????

lol are you going to uni????????lol
No, you silly man, read your own post before you read mine.

I'll be going to uni next year, and hopefully choosing my destination with a little more common sense than some out-of-context crime statistics.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would consider the following:
-The course - do they differ in any ways and if so, which do you think you will prefer?
- Distance from home
- I don't know much about Bristol, but can you compare the campus'?
- Accomodation - guaranteed at both?
- The city - Visit yourself though. Only you can decide whether you like it or not.
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
No, you silly man, read your own post before you read mine.

I'll be going to uni next year, and hopefully choosing my destination with a little more common sense than some out-of-context crime statistics.

wtf,??????

doesnt make sense,

and how is leeds a dump when its the fastest growing city,have you been there?????

its got some of the best architechure of most cities,check out the victorian stlye shoping centres

and btw its crime rates no where near as bad as nottinghams

front of the nottingham evening post "thugs rob student in city centre"

i guess he had little common sense did he,you know minding his own business in the city centre

get real
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
give it a rest - you really are so boring. Why dont' you transfer to another uni, as Nottingham is obviously not good enough for you?
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wtf,??????

doesnt make sense,

and how is leeds a dump when its the fastest growing city,have you been there?????

its got some of the best architechure of most cities,check out the victorian stlye shoping centres

and btw its crime rates no where near as bad as nottinghams

front of the nottingham evening post "thugs rob student in city centre"

i guess he had little common sense did he,you know minding his own business in the city centre

get real
It was a little joke. Hence the smile. And the complete lack of reference to crime statistics in that paragraph :confused:.

Why did he get robbed ? What was he doing ?

More to the point, getting robbed really isn't that bad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3538879.stm
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bristols fab and I love it.. If you've got any specific questions Pm me. I found it really hard to choose betweeen Nots and Bristol but I'm really happy with the choice I made.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pick Durham! It's gorgeous little city and a degree from there is loved by employers!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Pick Durham! It's gorgeous little city and a degree from there is loved by employers!
you can say the same with brisstol and st andrews
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.75%
Better than expected (129)
21.72%
Worse than expected (318)
53.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed