Am i warm toned or cool toned??? Watch

ixnayonthehombre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm thinking about dying my hair, and searching through the web i have found various websites asking questions about skin tone, eye colour etc, which determines whether you are cool or warm toned, therfore helping you choose the most flattering colour to dye your hair.
When answering these questions though, i find that i'm a mixture of warm and cool. I seem lean more towards the cool tone, but one of the colours they suggest for cool tones is black, a colour which i've dyed my hair before and it totally washes me out. Another question asked is about skin undertones. I have a pink undertone to my skin, but for some strange reason, make-up with a yellow undertone always looks better on me - i can't pull off a pink undertoned foundation!!!

I'm a bit unsure about which one is should be refering to. Can anyone help me here?? Thanks so much
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What suits you better? Silver or gold?
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From that I'd say you're warm toned.
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No probs, let us know what you decide to go for!
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its not just warm/cool, its also about value and strength.
eg a pale-white, cool toned skin girl with white blond hair may well be cool tones but would look much better in a light grey than black which would look terrible. i strongly recommend looking at the 'color me beautiful' system by mary spillane (search amazon) or having your colours done (v expensive) which divides people into warm/cool, then subdivides that into pale warm ('spring'); strongly coloured warm (autumn); pale cool (summer) and strong cool (winter). it then subdivides these categories into 3 more categories each - muted, contrasting ('deep') and very warm/cool. if you post a pic or pm me one i can try to help.
dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Becky68M)
A few other things i can tell you which might make this easier -
I can't wear black, navy, gray, yellow, pink, pale blue
However, i can wear beige, creams, white (to an extent), brown,
you sound exactly like me!

One of my friends where this gorgeous pink eye shadow and id really love to pull it off but it just doesnt suit me

Although i have heard somewhere that everyone can pull off every colour as long as you find the right shade of that colour.. anyone think theres any truth in that???
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
you sound exactly like me!

One of my friends where this gorgeous pink eye shadow and id really love to pull it off but it just doesnt suit me

Although i have heard somewhere that everyone can pull off every colour as long as you find the right shade of that colour.. anyone think theres any truth in that???
absolutely. except black. if you have a pic and state the colour this can help us to help you find it. eg if you like pink but are warm toned skin with red hair, a coral shade, or an orangy pink will look better. im a huge fan of colour analysis i have all of the color me beautiful series and i love the work of itten.
Ludivine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't fit into either either... I have dark brown hair (though I'll be switching back to blonde at some point but that still doesn't help), fairly dark blue eyes and medium skin. I think I look best in black or navy but I can wear most colours. Doesn't bother me to defy this categorisation anyway, just choose the individual colours that suit you and don't worry too much about being either "warm" or "cool", those labels are only a loose guide.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the best way to tell is to remove all makeup etc and try when you are not tanned, and put a plain white towel to cover you hair if you dye it. or alternativelt look in the mirror in the nude and see if the overall skin undertone is yellowish or pinkish. try holding pieces of gold and silver against it. which is better? NOT which do you like better, but which suits you better. and look at the inner wrist - is it golden or bluish undertone? then look in your wardrobe. naturally most people are drawn to colours that suit them best. is the top that makes you look stunning pink/blue/grey (cool)? or orange/red? is the colours that suit you strong (eg pure white/pure black/bold primary colours) or more muted (greyed down colours like taupe or beige or greys or pastel ones). then go for similar colours in that family.

some people will be neither very warm nor very cool. they can wear both silver and gold . these are mainly 'deep' people like ethnic minorities who can combine either metal with strong bold colours, but still they will either be warm or cool, yet they wear the bolder and strongest of that colour family.

this grouip also includes people with mousy complexion and mousey hair, but by trying on ither sky blue/grey/pink or peach/beige clothes they can tell which they are, warm or cool.

EDIT : this site sort of explains it:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...orAnalysis.htm
Caribou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooh oooh i'm winter (brunette with olivey skin that has a slightly yellow tinge)

*yay* lol

girly quizzes are so good to pass the time
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That flow chart says I'm a Spring but I'm definitely an Autumn! My mum's best friend does people's colours for them and she's said I'm an Autumn. Those colours definitely seem to suit me best.
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Against my instincts, I took that test thing. It says I'm a Winter. Sounds right actually.
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That flow chart's for men... scroll down and look at the picture.. would you take fashion advice from him?

but I'm summer!

I do have cooler skin than that flowchart seems to say, but after the first option, there was only one way to go, given that I'm a natural blonde...
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ahh I didn't scroll :rolleyes:
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I realised it was for men (briefcase and tie kind of gave it away) but I still love the things it told me, like "[I] have the best profile for power dressing because they look great in all the power colors black ,navy, charcoal." Perfect. I can't wait to begin power dressing!
ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hallo...
I have tried various test thingummies (to put it formally), and I seem to end up with contrdicting results - I was wondering if you could offer your opinions, you seem very knowledgable on the topic

I shall attempt to describe myself/what I suit:
Eyes: relatively dark, greyish blue, sometimes a bit greenish, but not tremendously so
Hair: Medium brown, but it's got a whole load of different colours in it - blonde-ish bits at the front, some dark brown bits, and some bits that are quite reddish/gingery. I should point out that they whole lot is mixed together, and that I don't have big patches of ginger and big patches of dark brown
Skin: Pale, a few freckles. No idea about undertone, I've tried working it out but never get very far. If it's any help, I don't tan.

Colours that suit:
black
darker blues, greens, red and purples

Colours that make me look ill:
orange
yellow
white (to some extent, mainly because I am pale)
chocolatey brown

I would be very grateful if you could shower me with your words of wisdom on this topic...or, even if you were to tell me what you think, that'd be great
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by squirly)
From that I'd say you're warm toned.
Yeah same. What is your hair like?
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
Hallo...
I have tried various test thingummies (to put it formally), and I seem to end up with contrdicting results - I was wondering if you could offer your opinions, you seem very knowledgable on the topic

I shall attempt to describe myself/what I suit:
Eyes: relatively dark, greyish blue, sometimes a bit greenish, but not tremendously so
Hair: Medium brown, but it's got a whole load of different colours in it - blonde-ish bits at the front, some dark brown bits, and some bits that are quite reddish/gingery. I should point out that they whole lot is mixed together, and that I don't have big patches of ginger and big patches of dark brown
Skin: Pale, a few freckles. No idea about undertone, I've tried working it out but never get very far. If it's any help, I don't tan.

Colours that suit:
black
darker blues, greens, red and purples

Colours that make me look ill:
orange
yellow
white (to some extent, mainly because I am pale)
chocolatey brown

I would be very grateful if you could shower me with your words of wisdom on this topic...or, even if you were to tell me what you think, that'd be great
I'd guess that you're a winter from that. Orange and yellow are Sping/Autumn colours depending on the shade and chocolate brown is definitely Autumn. As you say the darker shades of blue, green, red and purple suit you I'd say you're more Winter than Summer. Summer's more powder blue, baby pink, soft yellow, etc.
ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd guess that you're a winter from that. Orange and yellow are Sping/Autumn colours depending on the shade and chocolate brown is definitely Autumn. As you say the darker shades of blue, green, red and purple suit you I'd say you're more Winter than Summer. Summer's more powder blue, baby pink, soft yellow, etc.
That's brilliant, thank you so much
*send a big box of virtual muffins and cookies as a thank-you*
sweetface.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have you tried red? It's a lovely colour hair, i have yellow undertones and my natural colour is black. I really want to die my hair that colour since it would really suite me. I have been told by colourists in hair salons. Your best bet is to ask a few colorists in hair salons for colours that would suite your undertones and what would suite you as a person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (175)
67.83%
No (83)
32.17%

Watched Threads