Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to more than 1 course and subsequently got an offer for one or more courses?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for both Government and International Relations and got an offer for Government. I was told that it shouldn't disadvantage you to apply for two courses as long as they are in the same area and your personal statement adequately covers them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fonzievision)
    Has anyone applied to more than 1 course and subsequently got an offer for one or more courses?
    Several of my friends have. It's not a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think it's fine, though some may be surprised as they havent heard about it before.
    i applied for 2 and got one offer. besides, they are quite different in term of 'interest' as well. environment policy and econs, and HRM>

ReputationRep:
    Yep, for L250 and LL42.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolo)
    I applied for both Government and International Relations and got an offer for Government. I was told that it shouldn't disadvantage you to apply for two courses as long as they are in the same area and your personal statement adequately covers them.
    See that's the thing. I applied for three courses (!) : A&F, Management, Management Sciences. Got an offer only for A&F (more than enough hehe ), perhaps cause I was not good enough for the other two - but I doubt it, since MS is way less competitive than A&F honestly. So, far more realistic : they made an offer for the course which my PS really dealt with, and that was easily NN34 since I didn't even mention Management...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    See that's the thing. I applied for three courses (!) : A&F, Management, Management Sciences. Got an offer only for A&F (more than enough hehe ), perhaps cause I was not good enough for the other two - but I doubt it, since MS is way less competitive than A&F honestly. So, far more realistic : they made an offer for the course which my PS really dealt with, and that was easily NN34 since I didn't even mention Management...
    You can apply for as many courses as you like, but each application will be judged separately. I have a friend who received an offer for A&F and BM&S, but rejected for Management.. which was expected given his PS.

ReputationRep:
    Knogle - what other courses did you apply to? (from other uni's?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    Knogle - what other courses did you apply to? (from other uni's?)
    Economics & Management at Oxford
    Economics, Politics, and International Studies at Warwick
    Government & Economics at LSE
    Economics at UCL
    Economics and Finance at York
    Economics and Political Science at Birmingham

Offers from all except Ox.

ReputationRep:
    i know that if you apply to the same uni but for different courses, they will be dealt with individually, but do the various admission tutors realise that you have applied to LSE more than once? For example, if I apply to Accounting and Finance, Management Sciences and say BM&S, will all the admissions tutors know I have done this? Also, would you consider this as an advantage or disadvanatge? Thanks, hope to hear soon...Sunny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    i know that if you apply to the same uni but for different courses, they will be dealt with individually, but do the various admission tutors realise that you have applied to LSE more than once? For example, if I apply to Accounting and Finance, Management Sciences and say BM&S, will all the admissions tutors know I have done this? Also, would you consider this as an advantage or disadvanatge? Thanks, hope to hear soon...Sunny
    yes. Could be seen as an advantage (definately not a disadv) in that it shows your keen to go to LSE. However i dont think it would make that much of a difference. I think the LSE admin tutors know how competitive it is, and will realise that students will apply to more than one course to increase their chances. I would reccomend applying to courses in different depts.

ReputationRep:
    But if you apply to courses in different departments, like an obvious difference between the two courses which are not inter-connected, wouldnt that show that you just want to study at LSE, regardless of what you study and therefore possess no passion/interest for that course?

ReputationRep:
    depends on the two courses you are applying for.. some pairs are more easily connected than others... if you want to apply for two completely random courses.. theres no way that you could tailor you're application towards both... but if you applied to economics... and government and economics... for example.. you could seem committed to both..

loadsa people apply to 2.. its possible to apply to econ and a&f and get in for one of them at least.. it has happened..

ive never known of anyone getting 2 offers from LSE though..

what courses are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakatak)
    It happens, but it's rare. Perhaps partly because it's tough to adapt one's PS to two different courses, esp. if they're rather different.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am thinking of applying to Accounting & Finance, Management Sciences, and possibly a third choice...something like, Environmental Policy with Economics...however, if I apply to all 3, I dont want them to give me an offer for the one which is the least competitive of the three (Environmental Policy with Economics), without even considering me for the other two courses...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am thinking of applying to Accounting & Finance, Management Sciences, and possibly a third choice...something like, Environmental Policy with Economics...however, if I apply to all 3, I dont want them to give me an offer for the one which is the least competitive of the three (Environmental Policy with Economics), without even considering me for the other two courses...
    You'll want to make reference to all three courses in your PS, but you should definitely insist on the one for which you really want to get an offer because if they give you only one offer, it'll be for the course for which you seem to have the greatest motivation - A&F I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ideally I would like to study A&F or Management Sciences, I am interested in both courses...I am also going to be applying to other universities for Accounting and Finance courses aswell, such as Warwick, and possibly Economics courses....so, errrmmm....my PS is going to be pretty much full and a mission to do !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolo)
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    Well, ideally I would like to study A&F or Management Sciences, I am interested in both courses...I am also going to be applying to other universities for Accounting and Finance courses aswell, such as Warwick, and possibly Economics courses....so, errrmmm....my PS is going to be pretty much full and a mission to do !!
    hey i think it would be a tricky one to combine 3 of them into your ps. better put the environment one out, i think.

i talked about human resource management and environment in my ps, and got 4 offer for hrm, but rejected by lse for hrm, and got offer for the environment one. look back, i think the reason whyi got rejected by lse (HRM) is i only mentioned a tiny bit about hrm, while other unis may only concern about A grades while LSE's is ps.
    Dont be too gready, you may loose all. so just concentrate on acc&fin + man stuff.
    Just my nonsense. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakatak)

i got in for 2 courses!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.