Turn on thread page Beta

A First versus a Two One watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What real differences are there, in terms of opportunities being opened to you, by getting a first as opposed to a two one?

And am I the only one who has heard stories that some firms actively recruit people with two one's as they believe those graduates will be "more well rounded"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    What real differences are there, in terms of opportunities being opened to you, by getting a first as opposed to a two one?

And am I the only one who has heard stories that some firms actively recruit people with two one's as they believe those graduates will be "more well rounded"?
    At a university like Manchester it probably woulnd't make much difference, I think the general rule is as longs if you have a 2:1 you will be fine. The rest is how you conduct yourself in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly irrelevant point, but for the Foreign Office you only need a 2 2. I'd have thought they'd have wanted higher calibre graduates.

ReputationRep:
    That is their minimum requirement, and for work at the FO academic achievement really comes in second. They won't want to turn down an intelligent person, fluent in Arabic, because they got a 2.2 in economics orwhatever irrelevancy they studied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    That is their minimum requirement, and for work at the FO academic achievement really comes in second. They won't want to turn down an intelligent person, fluent in Arabic, because they got a 2.2 in economics orwhatever irrelevancy they studied.
    Granted. And their application process is very tough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I heard that, but what a career, its sumthn ive been thinking about for awhile, though don't go into it for the money. In terms of skill to pay ratio its meant to be about the worst you can get! but I suppose they're more concerned with paying blair 250k.

ReputationRep:
    Blair gets £250k?
    I think not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Blair gets £250k?
    I think not!
    I believe that it his salary... before any dodgy deals involving criminal property traders and his wife.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was more like his wife's salary and Blair was underpaid.

ReputationRep:
    blair only gets around 100K. the lord chancellor used to be the most highly paid in politics, before the post was abolished last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    blair only gets around 100K. the lord chancellor used to be the most highly paid in politics, before the post was abolished last year
    Yup, Cherie earns significantly more than Tony too.

ReputationRep:
    I know that in teaching your starting salary is £500 (or so) higher if you get a first - but this isn't always good as schools have tight budgets and might go for the "cheaper" candidate!

ReputationRep:
    As of last month his official salary has been increased to £179,000, plus a whole heap of benefits, plus he doesn't have to pay for most things we do, plus all his family holidays are free. I'd say this equates to roughly 250k in real world terms.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that it his salary... before any dodgy deals involving criminal property traders and his wife.
    kudos

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, well it is MUCH more common for someone to get a 2:1 than it is to get a 1st, so I suppose, if you were seeking employment in a very competive area, a 1st would be a significant advantage. That's just my hypothesis though, I haven't got anything concrete to back it up with.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly irrelevant point, but for the Foreign Office you only need a 2 2. I'd have thought they'd have wanted higher calibre graduates.
    Its their minimum requirement when I did civil service recruitment at the group day round the majority had firsts with tons of brilliant skills and work exp.

A 2.1 is no guarantee these days. I am in a hall full of people with 2.1s doing masters and I would say that more than half are doing their masters cos they havent found a decent job and they are all from a wide variety of unis - edinburgh, york, durham, reading, Birmingham etc etc

ReputationRep:

A first is generally going to be more attractive than a second from the same uni, to an employer,if both have the same achievements or similar, outside of their degree e.g uni rugby team etc. But of course ceteris never seems to be paribus, so it is obviously hard to comapre the attractiveness of a first to an upper second because there are tooooo many variables that would and could change e.g if you've got a first, did you not have time to join the sports team, or politics soc(+so miss out on vital teamwork skills) or if you have a 2:1, well could u have got that first if you weren't part of that sports team/politics soc.?!
    Who knows, but if you're aiming for a first, just make sure you don't acquire the personailty of a wet trout or you'll never get that job.

ReputationRep:
    100k? that seems very little money for such a famous figure, but i guess prime minsisters dont earn that much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    100k? that seems very little money for such a famous figure, but i guess prime minsisters dont earn that much...
    I imagine if he gave himself a large pay packet, out of public tax revenues, it wouldn't look very favourable with voters. Prime Minister will be more about prestige than pay packets. Oh wow, he's got a wife that earns way more than him... that's really cool.

How many blokes would actually not mind their partners being on much higher salaries?

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    How many blokes would actually not mind their partners being on much higher salaries?
    I have no problem with my partner earning more than me...always wanted a sugar-mama!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.