Turn on thread page Beta

Another "help me pick a laptop" thread :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone...

I'm looking around for a laptop as I'm going on my year abroad in August and need one to take with me. I've been looking at Dell primarily. My budget is up to about £800 (I didn't realise you could buy a laptop these days for under £400!). I don't need an all singing all dancing one (I never play games or 'owt like that) I mainly would use it for internet, email and Office applications like Excel and Word. Oh, and iTunes of course Also I can't see myself carting it here there and everywhere so if it's a wee bit bulky that's not a problem for me. My only must haves are wireless capability and something relatively quick as I grow slowly old waiting for web pages to flip over :cool:

The super cheap dell ones are here ---> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

The more pricey ones here ---> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

I like the 630m and the 6400 which are the same price at the moment (£639), one has the wireless thingy built in but the other has a slightly faster processer (also one is a Pentium and one is a Core Duo?). Any help on picking one or indeed recommendations for where I could get a better one somewhere else would be fab.

Thanks much

ReputationRep:
    Firstly ask yourself if you REALLY need a laptop, because you can get a much higher spec PC for cheaper.

Anyway, I've got a Dell 5160, which cost £800 on the nose I think, its been good, though the graphics card is abit pants, not much more I can say really.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that narb. I've already got a desktop...the only reason I need a portable computer now is I need to take it to America

ReputationRep:
    mornin TnV

I wouldn't go for any of the cheap ones tbh from the Dell website, because they will be slow and just fustrating to use.

I can usually find other companies which are cheaper than Dell, such as Acer.

have a look at http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/default.asp or www.ebuyer.co.uk

but the 6400 looks good value

ReputationRep:
    ooh, america, aren't you lucky?

Well I'd say thats a pretty good case for getting one, however, I would wait till I was in america, far cheaper to get a similar spec than it is to buy over here

ReputationRep:
    Hey navajo

Acer used to have an awful rep a few years ago...have they improved any since?! Also what do you reckon about buying an American one instead as narb suggested?

ReputationRep:
    hey, umm.. I think that Acer have improved a lot, but you still hear some stories about their customer service. But they tend to be quite a lot cheaper.

Buying American is fine, but what if something goes wrong? and you have to return it.. i'm not 100% about buying from America

ReputationRep:
    Wait untill you're in the US. Laptops will be cheeper there (in theory), and if something goes wrong while you're there, it won't cost you to ship it home to be fixed. But, if it breaks when you're here you might have to ship it back again. Some places give you a world wide cover, so you ship it to a local place. Make sure you look at that when you buy.

Also, thought about getting a Mac? They'll be fine for what you need...

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely get it in the USA. Especially if you will be there for a year - shouldn't have any problems getting warranty work done if you'll still be there? Just pick an international make - are Dells warranties valid international? Apple should be - and is a good alternative as suggested?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh didn't realise you were there for a year, yer then I would go for one in the US

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend the new apple iBook/MacBook that is due to come out in the next month of two. It'll be worth the wait and do everything you want it to. You dont have to use the mac o/s either now that there is boot camp, so you can use windows on it as normal. It'll be a hell of a lot cheaper there too.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, guess I will wait until I'm out there!

I'll be repping for the next few days

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 10, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.