Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How are foreigners made to feel at home in Germany/integrated into society? watch

ReputationRep:
    How are foreigners made to feel at home in Germany/integrated into society?

After reading through some past questions for Unit 2 I am quite alarmed....as we haven't really covered anything on these specific areas....

The only thing I can really think of is

a) German-language courses
    b) Turkish restaurants etc. and things...?

HELP!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendsfanatic)
    How are foreigners made to feel at home in Germany/integrated into society?

After reading through some past questions for Unit 2 I am quite alarmed....as we haven't really covered anything on these specific areas....

The only thing I can really think of is

a) German-language courses
    b) Turkish restaurants etc. and things...?

HELP!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    There isn't really much of integration in Germany: they arrive, take a few language courses and go on to live amongst each other, in 'ghettos' like in Berlin-Kreuzberg.
    That's a big problem since they don't speak German at home, so that they struggle to find jobs, or that their children do well at school. Consequently, they've to face big social problems.

The state hasn't done hardly anything for years and now these problems hit the headlines (google Berlin Rütli-Schule), everybody comes up with new integration concepts, from more restrictive immigration laws to more language courses.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more (specific) questions.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the figures of how many people are living in these ghettos? And what percentage of foreign-kids go to each of the schools?

ReputationRep:
    Hope you understand this: (http://www.statistik.baden-wuerttemb...onth=07&eNr=03)
    Bildungsniveau junger Ausländer deutlich unter dem der jungen Deutschen
    Der Vergleich der allgemeinen Schulabschlüsse von jungen Deutschen und Ausländern offenbart ein starkes Gefälle: Das Bildungsniveau der jungen Ausländergeneration bleibt weit hinter dem ihrer deutschen Altersgenossen zurück. So haben knapp 41 % der Deutschen, jedoch nur gut 27 % der Ausländer im Alter von 20 bis unter 30 Jahren das Abitur. Den Realschulabschluss hat etwa jeder dritte Deutsche (gut 34 %), jedoch nur jeder fünfte Ausländer dieser Altersgruppe im Land. Demgegenüber haben 46 % der jungen Ausländer den Hauptschulabschluss, bei den Deutschen ist dies nur noch bei knapp einem Viertel der Fall. Besonders eklatant sind die Unterschiede zwischen jungen Deutschen und jungen Ausländern, die keinen Schulabschluss vorweisen können. Dies ist nämlich nur noch bei knapp 2 % der jungen Deutschen der Fall; bei den Ausländern im Alter von 20 bis unter 30 Jahren sind es immerhin noch gut 6 %.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I know I'm sort of hijacking this thread, but what does rutli-schule mean?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, never mind, I'm so stupid, it's just a name :P

ReputationRep:
    Bingo! It has become the synonyme for the failure in German integration politics.

ReputationRep:
    There's governmental sports schemes etc...

I'm doing this question at the moment in prep for my resit...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, sports. Completely forgot about that. And even more important than the governmental bit are the numerous societies and clubs, Vereine in German.

Another thing to add: there are social workers paid by the state who run integration programmes and programmes against drug abuse, criminality, etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.