The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Medicine Personal Statements for 2013 entry: Advice and Questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myyrh
Sorry but that's not true.

What isn't true? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions, which other candidates certainly shouldn't emulate. It is all about giving yourself the best chance, and making your PS difficult and unpleasant to read simply doesn't do that.
Reply 41
Original post by Good bloke
What isn't true? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions, which other candidates certainly shouldn't emulate. It is all about giving yourself the best chance, and making your PS difficult and unpleasant to read simply doesn't do that.

Saying the university concerned may not have attached too much importance on the personal statement and that they may not have even read it. Ironically one of the things Liverpool and Lancaster state they look for in a personal statement is a critical, coherent and informative approach to written communication.
I agree it's all about giving yourself the best chance but sometimes you have to make difficult choices between what you need to include and it's not always possible to free up enough space to leave gaps.
So my mum has physical and mental illness, and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to write about it. I really don't want to come across as feeling sorry for myself, but there is no doubt that it has affected me: it forced me to grow up at a very young age and become independent, and I suppose it gave a sense of curiosity about medicine. It's so normal for me, and just a part of my life that I didn't really consider writing about it until now. I wouldn't name the conditions on my p/s I don't think (bipolar and degenerative discs). Do you think I should leave it out?
Original post by Holz888
So my mum has physical and mental illness, and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to write about it. I really don't want to come across as feeling sorry for myself, but there is no doubt that it has affected me: it forced me to grow up at a very young age and become independent, and I suppose it gave a sense of curiosity about medicine. It's so normal for me, and just a part of my life that I didn't really consider writing about it until now. I wouldn't name the conditions on my p/s I don't think (bipolar and degenerative discs). Do you think I should leave it out?

Nope. Your personal statement is there for you to draw on your strengths as much as possible. Get your referee to explain it in the reference that the school provides if it has been detrimental to your studies. :smile:

Thanks for negging for relaying what my 6th form head said about my own medical problems
(edited 11 years ago)
Depends on how you phrase it, but I don't see anything wrong with saying while you don't spend time pitying yourself, it's affected you as you said. :smile:
Reply 45
As long as you keep it fairly short and to the point, and remember you are not telling a story but using it to help explain or strength your reasons to study medicine. It's definitely personal so go for it if you want. :smile:
Original post by Holz888

Hey :smile: I wrote about my Grandmother in my personal statement. She died of cancer when I was eight and my mother, a single parent was her carer, I was always around. I drew on the facts that although I didn't know what was happening, I could see the physical changes and it initiated my curiosity in medicine, however, I also lead on to say how over the years my decision solidified etc, as I progressed through sixth form and college studying sciences. I would definitely mention it .. it's very personal, like the title :smile:
Reply 47
Hello. I wrote my personal statement with Cambridge and Imperial in mind, so it's mostly science-y, quite a bit about work experience and less about my extracurriculars and 'passionate about helping people' (there just wasn't enough space). Which other med schools should I also apply to, with a PS like mine?

Also, which med schools (that regard ECAs highly) should I avoid? I've heard that Edinburgh rejects people due to insufficient ECAs.
(edited 11 years ago)
You can safely post your entire personal statement in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

For review if you'd like. Someone (even from those universities) may be able to give you some pointers to make it more rounded or on where to apply/where they applied etc.

Good luck!
Do Cambridge and Imperial even want a particularly sciencey personal statement?

I dunno about Imperial, but Cambridge can get an idea of your scientific ability from your AS Level percentages, and your BMAT score.

What do you mean when you say it's sciency?
Reply 50
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Do Cambridge and Imperial even want a particularly sciencey personal statement?

I dunno about Imperial, but Cambridge can get an idea of your scientific ability from your AS Level percentages, and your BMAT score.

What do you mean when you say it's sciency?

I included a paragraph about the topics I found interested in medical science while relating it to my Biology A-level. I also linked various parts of my work experience/voluntary work in a similar way, instead of waxing sentimental about how happy I felt that I made an old lady's life brighter etc (though I did include my thoughts on what I learned from it).
Reply 51
Original post by Anhedonia
Hello. I wrote my personal statement with Cambridge and Imperial in mind, so it's mostly science-y, quite a bit about work experience and less about my extracurriculars and 'passionate about helping people' (there just wasn't enough space). Which other med schools should I also apply to, with a PS like mine?

Also, which med schools (that regard ECAs highly) should I avoid? I've heard that Edinburgh rejects people due to insufficient ECAs.

My personal statement was highly 'academic', lots about work exp, research etc and less about Volunteering. I was rejected from Liverpool because of a lack of volunteer work, but I got into Imperial. Writing a lot about work exp etc helped me for the Imperial interview as they questioned me about it and seemed to like what i had written, they're really keen on research too. I guess its all about finding a right balance so that you cover all your bases (and all your choices).
Reply 52
Original post by Pop?
My personal statement was highly 'academic', lots about work exp, research etc and less about Volunteering. I was rejected from Liverpool because of a lack of volunteer work, but I got into Imperial. Writing a lot about work exp etc helped me for the Imperial interview as they questioned me about it and seemed to like what i had written, they're really keen on research too. I guess its all about finding a right balance so that you cover all your bases (and all your choices).

Hey there and thanks. Which other unis did you apply to? :smile:
Reply 53
extra curriculars are pointless in your ps if you just list them or say they made you feel happy... but if you've actually learned something relevant from them then it could help you when applying to any uni. for example cambridge applicants are all going to be academic. what's going to separate you from the rest?
i wrote my academic interests and everything and then used work experience, coaching, and even trips abroad to let them know that i have qualities and skills others might not; so for example planning and delivering coaching sessions improves my analysis and problem solving and also shows i have the ability to work under pressure and adapt to new situations. playing county sports and gold D of E show i work well in a team and i'm determined. playing instruments as well as everything else shows i'm a good all-rounder and can be good at lots of different things without compromising any of them. i emphasised why i wanted to go to uni, showed my passion for biology (which i applied for) and let them know i'd made an effort to expand my interests - i'd been to talks and clubs out of school, and i'd got a nuffield bursary and prizes. just tell them everything!
it may sound like rubbish to you, but it got me 5 offers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Imperial take very little account of the personal statement in general. They use your BMAT score to short list you for interview. And in the interview, they very loosely base their questions around your PS, but focus a fair bit on the "why medicine" "tell me about work exp" "how can you contribute to IC" side of things.

I wouldn't try to make things too academic (by academic, I mean science focused and am not including work experience as I deem that to be vocational). For Cambridge, you can write out an additional statement in the SAQ and Imperial aren't too focused academic topics for interview.

And the whole point of writing about extra-curriculars is not to state you do them, but to show what you've learned, gained and developed from them. The reason why medical schools like some ECAs is due to the fact that it shows you have a life otuside of academia and studies, and that you have a potential outlet for stress. They are just as important as the books when it comes to studying the course and medical practice.
Reply 55
Aren't you meant to use the same personal statement for each university you apply for?

Just wondering because I got told that, especially if you are doing the same course in the universities you have applied for?
Original post by WriterC
Aren't you meant to use the same personal statement for each university you apply for?

It is impossible to do anything else.
For obstetrics and gynaecology, would it be possible to write O&G in the personal statement?
Reply 58
What does Edinburgh focus on in the PS?
Reply 59
I am aspiring to apply for Medicine in 2014. Along with my Personal Statement, am I required to enclose paperwork/letters etc. that give evidence for my work experience?

DC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending