Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, here's a resolution I wrote for an MUN conference in The Hague last year (and passed through my sub-commission by a substantial margin). I don't think we should debate it because it's long, complicated and was actually written for the Environment Commission and by me as a representative of Uzbekistan, not for the GA as a representative of the USA. But it might give some people an idea of what they look like, so I thought I'd post it as an example.

QUESTION OF: The Illicit Dumping of Radioactive and Toxic Waste

Recalling its resolutions regarding the dumping of toxic waste as well as the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal,

Viewing with appreciation the work of the Parties to the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal,

Further recalling RES/509 on the dumping of nuclear waste and RES/530 establishing a Code of Practice on the International Transboundary Movement of Radioactive Waste, adopted by the General Conference of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency),

Further recalling the declaration of the UN Human Rights Commission that the illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste impacts not only with environmental consequences on areas but also significantly impacts on the health and human rights of the populations of those areas,

Noting with regret that the tightening of environmental regulations in MEDCs (More Economically Developed Countries) in the late 1980’s led to a dramatic rise in the cost of hazardous waste disposal and that this led to the increased shipping of hazardous waste to LEDCs (Less Economically Developed Countries), with the exploitation of economic and social situations in those LEDCs,

Emphasizing that often traffickers ship radioactive and/or toxic waste to LEDCs after offering attractive financial incentives and even bribing officials at times,

Deeply concerned that the increased liberalisation and deregulation of international markets has favoured traffickers by making movement by transnational companies easier, thus facilitating cross-border movements of toxic waste products,

Deeply concerned that illegal trafficking is also carried out under the guise of ''legal'' shipments, with these shipments to LEDCs sometimes disguised as part of recovery and aid programmes financed by OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) countries,

Taking note that the Baltic States and the countries of eastern and central Europe are apparently the most affected dumping sites, followed by Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and Africa,

Further emphasizing that the upholding of human rights and environmental safety requires an urgent solution to the problem of the illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste,

Expecting that all world governments are committed to ending the illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste on a national, international and transnational scale,

1. Urges all States work together in a spirit of international co-operation, regardless of national self-interest to try to end the need for illicit dumping of toxic and radioactive waste, including but not limited to,

a. MEDCs providing LEDCs with research and possible solutions they have found to problems, both causing and stemming from, the illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste both internally and transnationally,

b. Communication between states with regional connections to work together on common methods, procedures and goals aimed at developing strategies to end illicit dumping of materials in those regions, both stemming from within and without the regions of those states;

2. Supports all States which pursue methods to decouple radioactive and toxic waste generation from economic growth and thus stop the production of toxic waste at the source, through the following supportive methods,

a. encourages the investment of all States into research into and the feasibility of finding alternative, cleaner industrial methods of production and production of energy, as well as ways of improving current ones, which will benefit all States as it will limit the production of toxic waste and thus consequentially decrease the problem of having to find often expensive, environmentally friendly ways to deal with toxic waste,

b. encourages the investment of States in ways to utilise radioactive and/or toxic waste in a useful and productive way, such as recycling into other products that could be utilised as part of an industrial process,

c. forms a working group within the UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) to be known as the Group for Scientific Understanding and Research into Environmentally Friendly Industry and Responsible Energies (SUREFIRE), which will carry out research and work regarding the issues outlined in Clause 2a, and will,

i. be comprised of relevant experts drawn from Member States, UN bodies and NGOs, as deemed relevant and appointed by the Environment Commission of the UN and be based in facilities in a country which volunteers itself for the purpose,

ii. be funded from the scientific budgets of those countries which currently spend funds and resources on this type of research individually, and will thus, by uniting the research work, will actually save money for involved States,

iii. report to the UN Environment Commission regularly, as required, and supply progress reports bi-annually to all concerned parties who wish to benefit from the research and activities carried out,

iv. work in conjunction with the governments of states through the use of liaison officers as appointed by State governments in order for States to be able to communicate easily and efficiently with those working for the Group;

3. Approves a list of internationally supported checks and controls, drawn up by the UN Environment Commission with the help of appropriate UN bodies and relevant NGOs, specifically the IAEA, which will,

a. be carried out on all shipments or transfers of known or suspected radioactive and/or toxic waste that are being transported across existing international boundaries, through international waters or by air to another destination country,

b. be carried out by specially trained border police or airport, port or coastal authorities, under the supervision of the UN where it is deemed necessary,

c. include, but not be limited to, the obtaining of the following information:

i. details of the place of shipment origin including the precise facility,
    ii. names, positions and details of those authorising the transfer,
    iii. details of the destination of the transfer, including names and details of the relevant officials at the final destination,
    iv. names and details of those responsible for the shipment during transfer,
    v. details of the planned travel route and method, including all destinations or stops along the route,
    vi. precise details of the contents of the shipment, including amount and category of the substance(s) being transported,

d. result in reports and recordings of every shipment of this nature, which will be submitted to the UN Environment Commission and other appropriate bodies bi-annually as deemed necessary,

e. result in the detailed control of all shipments of toxic/radioactive material and thus prevent the illicit transfer of these materials for illicit dumping in other countries;

4. Encourages the provision, through the UN and relevant agencies and bodies, of,

a. Education for State governments and officials, companies and businesses and other relevant parties, regarding the severe detrimental effects to the environment and human beings, caused by the illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste,

b. Education of the public, through the use of mass media campaigns where available and local educational meetings where possible, in regards to the dangers posed by such illicit activities and education about the correct authorities and organisations to contact if they have information regarding the aforementioned activities, also stressing not to take action single-handedly, or to break the law to prevent the shipment,

c. Support, where required, of all States which are pursuing education programs from their own initiative;

5. Authorises the referral to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), and in very extreme cases of State violation, the Security Council, of any states, companies or bodies which are deemed on substantial evidence, by the UN Environment Commission, to be in deliberate violation of limitations on dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste or guilty of illicit dumping of radioactive and/or toxic waste, thus causing serious damage to the environment and infringing on the health and human rights of people, furthermore the referred States or bodies,

a. will be liable to pay for the full and safe clean-up and de-contamination of the area affected as a direct or indirect result of their illicit actions,

b. will be liable for actual damages claimed by those States and/or persons affected by it’s illicit actions, including but not limited to, damage to health, agriculture and environment,

c. will be liable for punitive damages for crimes regarding, but not limited to, human rights abuses, as may be applicable in the circumstances,

d. will be fined an amount decided on a case-specific basis by the UNEC as a measure to prevent future offences and act as a deterrent to others as well as to help fund the schemes laid out by the UNEC,

e. will be liable to full and detailed inspections and evaluations, to be carried out under the auspices of the UN Environment Commission, of any facilities or
    resources which belong to the relevant party and are deemed necessary for inspection in the specific case or circumstances;

6. Supports those States which do legitimately decide to accept radioactive and/or toxic waste from other sources, and are able to competently and safely deal with the products received, through the following supportive methods and operations,

a. Ensuring that all shipments of radioactive and/or toxic waste are being taken to facilities which are adequately equipped and staffed to deal with the materials present in a safe and secure manner, through the use of UN inspectors deployed by the relevant UN bodies responsible, and in cases of radioactive waste storage, the IAEA in particular,

b. Ensuring that any accidents that can be effectively dealt with, are prepared for, both during transport and during storage, by the creation of UN Waste Accident Response Teams (UNWARTs) under the mandate of the UN Environment Commission, which,

i. will be trained to deal with environmental disasters of this nature and will be provided with the correct equipment and resources to be effective at the tasks they may need to perform on the ground in areas of severe accidents,

ii. will be deployed regionally in a number of volunteer States around the world, to allow them to fulfil their fast-response objective,

iii. when not being deployed in emergency situations will work in areas where illicit dumping of radioactive/toxic waste has already taken place and the aftermath and clean-up could be contributed to through their personnel and resources,

iv. will work in close co-ordination with other UN bodies and in cases involving radioactive waste problems, specifically the IAEA,

v. will be funded by the UN with possible investment from those nations who volunteer to host them, if they are willing to contribute,

c. Ensuring that the human rights of persons resident in the area of waste storage are not being abridged by the activities in regards to the storage in the area, and ensuring that there are no environmental consequences which are considered to be significant and serious by the Inspectors of the UN present in the area;

7. Encourages all States to introduce regulatory legislation to help prevent the illicit dumping or illicit transport of radioactive and toxic waste of that State,

a. Using IAEA recommendations concerning the transport and tracking of waste as well as recommendations from both international and national scientific agencies to help draw up these regulations,

b. Implementing penalties for those that are in violation of these regulations,

as this will help to improve both the standard of living and the quality of the environment of the area, with all the benefits implicit in this;

8. Urges,

a. all States which have signed and ratified the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal to honour the commitments made under this treaty and work to end the illicit dumping of toxic and hazardous waste as detailed in the Convention,

b. those States which have signed but have not yet ratified the Basel Convention, namely Afghanistan, Haiti and the United States of America, to maintain the issue at the top of their environmental agendas and to ratify as soon as possible to show their commitment to the provisions within the Convention;

9. Hopes that all member States will,

a. work towards enforceable plans to reduce the levels of production and lower the levels of illicit dumping of radioactive and toxic waste in the world as a whole,

b. work towards global co-operation for the finding of suitable locations to legally and safely dispose of radioactive and/or toxic waste according to the provisions of this resolution.

ReputationRep:
    Nice Example. Here is Brazil's Exaple Response

Brazil is gravely concered with the dumping of toxic waste and supports the resolution and notes that it welcomes the suggestion for the work to be carried out by the group if this resolution is passed called SUREFIRE.

Brazil hopes that section 8B of the resolution is taken very seriously by the concerning countries

ReputationRep:
    That was a refreshing change from the norm. Thanks Jonathan.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one!

ReputationRep:
    Wait till I expose you to my reso on Refugees that sets up the "Committee to Organise and Control All Common Objectives on Leaver Affairs".

ReputationRep:
    I like it, for obvious reasons I only scanned it but it would be interesting to debate this sort of thing on here.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just had a quick look(didnt quite have the time to read it thoroughly) and I agree it would be interesting to debate such issues.

ReputationRep:
    Had a flick through, and it seems good. If it was a little shorter and less complicated, I'd be able to discuss it.

ReputationRep:
    OK then, maybe we should have a poll on which topic to discuss as I have about half a dozen viable options. Or should I just pick one and put it up?

ReputationRep:
    Just pick one and put it up I think

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just picking one would be easiest, and quickest too.

ReputationRep:
    Start with something simple. Later we can have more complex resolutions.

ReputationRep:
    BTW aiman, you need to apply to join the UNSC group.

ReputationRep:
    I already did, I'm waiting for Agent Smith to approve my entry.

(Original post by Nightowl)
    Just pick one and put it up I think
    Agreed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.