Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is minoring in History of Art (majoring in History) and regrets picking it as a module. The other day she was ranting about it;

"It's just sooo boring. I don't see that history of art is of any value today because art is what you want it to be, art can be unmade bed. It doesn't require such a detailed and precise level of critique anymore".

Do you agree? I think I kind of do. I can imagine that as a subject it might be quite interesting (although my friend says it's awful), but has it diminished in relevance/value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    One of my friends is minoring in History of Art (majoring in History) and regrets picking it as a module. The other day she was ranting about it;

"It's just sooo boring. I don't see that history of art is of any value today because art is what you want it to be, art can be unmade bed. It doesn't require such a detailed and precise level of critique anymore".

Do you agree? I think I kind of do. I can imagine that as a subject it might be quite interesting (although my friend says it's awful), but has it diminished in relevance/value?
    I personally think it's of great use, but only really in its societal context rather than viewing art as a hermetic thing-in-itself. Once one realises that it is only in art that we can have autonomy of expression, and that artworks have a truth-content, the subject matter becomes rather more interesting than when it is seen as a relatively random assembly of facts. Your friend needs to understand that history is about arguments, movements and discourse rather than individual artworks.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Certainly I've learnt more about European history studying Music than I ever did doing History.

ReputationRep:
    i personally think if anything it has become more valuable because of the different "types" of art created in today's society. it is much more exciting and interesting to study why a coke can on a shelf is at than why a painting of a Prince from history is interesting as the first requires more thought and critical analysis.id say its always relevant to be critical of art.

ReputationRep:
    I do art history A level and I think it's just as valuable as literature in understanding society, history and culture. I used to hate going to museums/galleries but having learned a bit about the art itself, the artist and the story behind the painting...it's incredibly interesting. Art can reflect the hidden feelings and desires of a movement, that said, studying modern art can be 'what you want it to be' because the canvas is so deliberately devoid of subject matter/an easy to read story but some people like that ambivalence, where art is so open to interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Art history's great value is placing art 'in context' with society and also looking at society using art.

ReputationRep:
    It's not very useful, but then neither is Latin, Eng. Lit., ancient history, etc. The problem your friend will have is not to convince people of the field's relevancy to today's world, but to find a job. From talking to my old art history teacher, the only jobs an art history major can get (other than as a teacher) is in museums, where the pay is terrible and job openings extremely rare. But to each their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It's not very useful, but then neither is Latin, Eng. Lit., ancient history, etc. The problem your friend will have is not to convince people of the field's relevancy to today's world, but to find a job. From talking to my old art history teacher, the only jobs an art history major can get (other than as a teacher) is in museums, where the pay is terrible and job openings extremely rare. But to each their own.
    but isnt that just your opinion? who is to say what is and what is not useful? and useful in what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    but isnt that just your opinion? who is to say what is and what is not useful? and useful in what way?
    No, it's really your opinion. :rolleyes: Please tell me how the study of art history helps the world in any visible manner.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's really your opinion. :rolleyes: Please tell me how the study of art history helps the world in any visible manner.
    thats why i asked the question,in what way useful? noone said it helped the world. it is merely useful in different ways. we can learn new things about history from the art which reflects it. it may be of use to someone in a personal way in that they may be passionate about art or particularly like an artistic period inhistory and therefore want to learn more about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think art history is any less valuable than other kinds of history - art tells us a lot about society, and surely historical knowledge of what society was like is of some use?

Anyway, plenty of things don't help the world in any real way, or in ways which are indirect. If we aimed purely to do things which "help the world in any visible manner", the world would be a far less interesting place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I don't think art history is any less valuable than other kinds of history - art tells us a lot about society, and surely historical knowledge of what society was like is of some use?

Anyway, plenty of things don't help the world in any real way, or in ways which are indirect. If we aimed purely to do things which "help the world in any visible manner", the world would be a far less interesting place.
    To each their own, but if everyone in the world decided to do things that don't help the world in any visible manner, then civilization as we know it would be gone.

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me how the study of art history helps the world in any visible manner.
    Knowledge for knowledge's sake: I personally feel in some respects Physics has gone down a similar route in the last few decades.

ReputationRep:
    Art history? Sounds easy enough. Don't most artists put the date under their autograph at the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Art history? Sounds easy enough. Don't most artists put the date under their autograph at the bottom?
    Even if they did, then what's that got to do with the original question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Even if they did, then what's that got to do with the original question?
    Forget it. I see dry wit is not something you often encounter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Forget it. I see dry wit is not something you often encounter.
    :mad: I did see that you were taking the piss, I might have known that attempting to take it seriously (which I did in case it turned out that it actually was serious) would have drawn that response.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a useful course.

You don't want to draw the same thing twice after all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.