Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I meant to post this thread months ago, but I've only just remembered about it!

In the student paper a while ago, there was talk of various departments at the University of Manchester putting up grade requirements from BBBish to AAA/AABish. They interviewed some students about the proposals, and there was a general out cry with the common theme being this; "we don't want the kind of people that AAA offers would attract."

Any thoughts? I'm on their BA Econ degree and only needed BBC to get in. There were over 10 applicants for each of the 300+ places so it is not a case of low requirements due to poor demand. My course friends grades all tend to be quite a lot higher than the BBC we were all given in our offer.

ReputationRep:
    I know one person with an AAA offer.

I don't see why they wouldn't want to attract AAA candidates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I know one person with an AAA offer.

I don't see why they wouldn't want to attract AAA candidates?
    Thing is, they often do attract AAA candidates. And often these candidates go for courses when the current grade requirements are BBCish.

And granted, some courses already have AAA requirements but they are in a minority.

ReputationRep:
    I personaly believe its a good thing, what is wrong with attracting better quality canditates? its somthing universities seek to do all the time. If Manchester pushes up their requirments then this will have a knock on effect requiring other universities in the area to put their requirments up as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who were offered higher from Manchester (AAA) than Oxford (AAB).

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's good for the uni, not great for the exisitng students or those who get in with relatively low grades in comparison. I was offered an ABB - and much of the lab work we get is structured so that all students will be able to complete half an exercise, 40% complete 3/4 and the remaining 10% complete it fully.

I know a few in the 10% region, and they only got in with an A or 2As and Bs... what I'm trying to say is that with more AAA students coming here, those just getting onto the 2.1 level will be dropped to mid or low 2.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I personaly believe its a good thing, what is wrong with attracting better quality canditates? its somthing universities seek to do all the time. If Manchester pushes up their requirments then this will have a knock on effect requiring other universities in the area to put their requirments up as well.
    But there are VERY few people at least who I've come across who are BBC quality people. It is just the offers that get given out. Were the standard offers to become AAA then you would get the very people applying that the students don't seem to want... Manchester would be heading down the road of Durham (No disrespect to Durham - lovely uni and city. And I understand many students do apply to Durham for it's own merits.) with Oxbridge rejects.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would never have considered applying to somewhere that was asking AAA that wasn't Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    But there are VERY few people at least who I've come across who are BBC quality people. It is just the offers that get given out. Were the standard offers to become AAA then you would get the very people applying that the students don't seem to want... Manchester would be heading down the road of Durham (No disrespect to Durham - lovely uni and city. And I understand many students do apply to Durham for it's own merits.) with Oxbridge rejects.
    So you mean Manchester currently deleberatly put low grades on the requirments to try and discourage so called snobby students?

My sister got an BBB offer but that was for Sociolgy, I know a girl who has just recived a BBC offer for crimonology.

I guess I don't want Manchester to be full of snooty cow upper class students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I personally would never have considered applying to somewhere that was asking AAA that wasn't Oxbridge.
    Out of interest... why?

ReputationRep:
    Thats just silly, if it wasn't for Manchester University we wouldn't have computers or the internet (Manchester encoding).

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being snobby or anything amazingtrade - how did you interpret like that?! LOL. Just that when I was choosing universities I thought to only apply to one that might offer AAA (tactics). As it is I was offered AAB (got AAC... eee!).

ReputationRep:
    Thats just silly, if it wasn't for Manchester University we wouldn't have computers or the internet (Manchester encoding).
    I keep reading this over and over again and I don't understand how you read this into my post. I did say PERSONALLY (i.e. for UCAS/exam reasons! And I did say anywhere that wasnt Oxbridge - only because I was applying to Oxbridge. If I hadn't done I would have applied to somewhere asking for AAA)

ReputationRep:
    I keep reading this over and over again and I don't understand how you read this into my post. I did say PERSONALLY (i.e. for UCAS/exam reasons! And I did say anywhere that wasnt Oxbridge - only because I was applying to Oxbridge. If I hadn't done I would have applied to somewhere asking for AAA)
    It came across in your thread, rightly or wrongly, that you didn't think somewhere like Manchester was worthy of getting AAA for.

ReputationRep:
    It came across in your thread, rightly or wrongly, that you didn't think somewhere like Manchester was worthy of getting AAA for.

NOOO I said "personally" in reference in my personal circumstances - UCAS application, expected exam results etc - and not my opinions of universities. I only wanted to apply to one AAA place and I had applied to Cambridge. I certainly didn't mean for it to be inferred in a negative way!

I wouldn't have considered Manchester if I hadn't applied to Oxbridge purely because I come from Devon and it would have been soooooo far away!

ReputationRep:

I guess I don't want Manchester to be full of snooty cow upper class students.

What grounds have you got for linking high grades with 'snooty cow upper class students'? That's really insulting - you can't just dismiss peoples achievements like that. How would you feel if I said that anyone who got low grades was lower class scum?!!!!

ReputationRep:
    NOOO I said "personally" in reference in my personal circumstances - UCAS application, expected exam results etc - and not my opinions of universities. I only wanted to apply to one AAA place and I had applied to Cambridge. I certainly didn't mean for it to be inferred in a negative way!

I wouldn't have considered Manchester if I hadn't applied to Oxbridge purely because I come from Devon and it would have been soooooo far away!
    Don't worry I don't think any less of you! Thanks for clarification though.

Devon rocks BTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    What grounds have you got for linking high grades with 'snooty cow upper class students'? That's really insulting - you can't just dismiss peoples achievements like that. How would you feel if I said that anyone who got low grades was lower class scum?!!!!

Perhaps it was because he misread me? I feel all awkward because I came from an under-achieving school in a socially and economically deprived area and am now at Cambridge. I sometimes feel shunned by some public school people and sometimes feel hated by fellow-state schoolers who didn't do so "well".

It's a shame that saying something innocent in conjunction with the "status" of your university (and all the preconceptions that come with it) can lead to major misinterpretation. This works both ways of course.

ReputationRep:

only needed BBC to get in.
    Hey! Only? That isn't bad!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it was because he misread me? I feel all awkward because I came from an under-achieving school in a socially and economically deprived area and am now at Cambridge. I sometimes feel shunned by some public school people and sometimes feel hated by fellow-state schoolers who didn't do so "well".

It's a shame that saying something innocent in conjunction with the "status" of your university (and all the preconceptions that come with it) can lead to major misinterpretation. This works both ways of course.
    Ditto. I hate it. I came from the same sort of background and am now at Oxford. I love being here, but I find it really hard that I can't say that without being branded a snob. It's like being suspended between two worlds, all because of prejudice on both sides.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.