Want more information about this university?
This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I meant to post this thread months ago, but I've only just remembered about it!

In the student paper a while ago, there was talk of various departments at the University of Manchester putting up grade requirements from BBBish to AAA/AABish. They interviewed some students about the proposals, and there was a general out cry with the common theme being this; "we don't want the kind of people that AAA offers would attract."

Any thoughts? I'm on their BA Econ degree and only needed BBC to get in. There were over 10 applicants for each of the 300+ places so it is not a case of low requirements due to poor demand. My course friends grades all tend to be quite a lot higher than the BBC we were all given in our offer.
i will probably get aaa at a-levels and im applying economics at manchester as an insurance
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
So you mean Manchester currently deleberatly put low grades on the requirments to try and discourage so called snobby students?

My sister got an BBB offer but that was for Sociolgy, I know a girl who has just recived a BBC offer for crimonology.

I guess I don't want Manchester to be full of snooty cow upper class students.
No... my point is the students interviewed think AAA offers would attract "snobby" students.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by grey faerie)
What grounds have you got for linking high grades with 'snooty cow upper class students'? That's really insulting - you can't just dismiss peoples achievements like that. How would you feel if I said that anyone who got low grades was lower class scum?!!!!
You must accept there is some correlation? My emphasis was on the 'some' word.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is a direct coleration between parents income and how many UCAS points you will get. I had a lot of school problems with stood in my way, my secondary education was so distrupted due to illnesses and a couple of family problems at the time.

Though none of these were class releated. However if you come from a poor working class family and have to share a room etc it would be much harder to well than somebody like me who has always had his own bedroom and lived in a decent area.

Bliisy sorry I miss understood you, I wasn't calling you a snob at all but I just miss read it as if Manchester wasn't worthy of AAA students. Manchester is a good university in its own right regardless of oxbridge. I think you know that though.

I think this is why Manchester has never tried to be Oxbridge unlike places like Durham.

Sorry if I caused any offense, Blissy you did very well to get into Cambridge so you should be very proud.
Tednol
Rep:
?
There is a direct coleration between parents income and how many UCAS points you will get. I had a lot of school problems with stood in my way, my secondary education was so distrupted due to illnesses and a couple of family problems at the time.

Though none of these were class releated. However if you come from a poor working class family and have to share a room etc it would be much harder to well than somebody like me who has always had his own bedroom and lived in a decent area.

Bliisy sorry I miss understood you, I wasn't calling you a snob at all but I just miss read it as if Manchester wasn't worthy of AAA students. Manchester is a good university in its own right regardless of oxbridge. I think you know that though.

I think this is why Manchester has never tried to be Oxbridge unlike places like Durham.

Sorry if I caused any offense, Blissy you did very well to get into Cambridge so you should be very proud.
Completely irrelevent, but you seem like a really sound bloke.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I now know two people (not including me) with offers from Manchester for Comp Sci, the first has an offer of ABB and the second has an offer of AAA (both need maths). I don't think its a bad thing at all that Manchester should up its requirements, it is very under-rated and I think that this should help it attract more of the students who (completely ignorant of the course) simply select their uni based on the requirements. Whether attracting this type of student (whatever thier grades) is a good thing remains to be seen!!! I'm thankful for my nice offer though because I'd have no chance at the AAA one!!!
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Completely irrelevent, but you seem like a really sound bloke.
Out of interest, were you interviewed by Manchester? Because sometimes, universities will interview candidates, and then give lower offers to those candidates who have made a very good impression and the kind that the university want as students. This lower offer gives slightly more incentive for the student to pick there, and also takes the pressure off the exams to a certain extent, and usually becuase there isn't as much pressure the students do just as well in the A-Levels.

When I applied here, the standard offer for a 4 year undergraduate masters with a year abroad was BBB (advertised in the prospectus) but I was interviewed and then offered BCC (and one of the C's could be general studies). It gave me the incentive to put here as firm over Leeds, and they appeared to want me here more than Leeds did (ie I got a letter as well saying that should I fail to make my grades then to give them a call as they could maybe work something out for me).
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chicken)
Out of interest, were you interviewed by Manchester? Because sometimes, universities will interview candidates, and then give lower offers to those candidates who have made a very good impression and the kind that the university want as students. This lower offer gives slightly more incentive for the student to pick there, and also takes the pressure off the exams to a certain extent, and usually becuase there isn't as much pressure the students do just as well in the A-Levels.

When I applied here, the standard offer for a 4 year undergraduate masters with a year abroad was BBB (advertised in the prospectus) but I was interviewed and then offered BCC (and one of the C's could be general studies). It gave me the incentive to put here as firm over Leeds, and they appeared to want me here more than Leeds did (ie I got a letter as well saying that should I fail to make my grades then to give them a call as they could maybe work something out for me).
No I wasn't. Think for my course they just interviewed boarderline applicants.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Manchester gave me a BBB offer.

If the requirement had been AAA/AAB I wouldn't have applied.

It came across in your thread, rightly or wrongly, that you didn't think somewhere like Manchester was worthy of getting AAA for.
I think the thing is...not that Manc isn't worthy of AAA, but that no university in this country comes close to Oxbridge, and therefore anywhere asking for equal grades seems to be taking the piss a bit.

I'm not entirely convinced that Manchester is crammed full of those who've easily exceeded their offers, either. The average A level points score is 23.9 (just under BBB).
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
I'm not entirely convinced that Manchester is crammed full of those who've easily exceeded their offers, either. The average A level points score is 23.9 (just under BBB).
Think that is partially due to the broad range of degrees that Manchester offers. Even for courses that they are not particularly great at (e.g. BCC grade ones) they still want to keep them going and therefore must accept a lower calibre of applcant for these courses. Also think that raising the requirements is aimed at increasing the average a-levels as well by making student push themselves to get the grades they need for entry. I know that I work harder knowing that I need a grade in maths!!!

PS - They interviewed almost all candidates for Comp Sci this year, possibly why I was able to con them into giving me an offer!!!
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

None taken - I can see how it was mis-read (I tend to assume everyone knows what I mean!)

Places like Durham and Bristol really bug me. A bit like grammar schools bug me as well - like to think they're on a par but can only achieve this by making everyone else feel crap! Bristol is a particular hate of mine... I poke my tongue out each time we are driving to and from Cam. Hehe.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Places like Durham and Bristol really bug me. A bit like grammar schools bug me as well - like to think they're on a par but can only achieve this by making everyone else feel crap! Bristol is a particular hate of mine... I poke my tongue out each time we are driving to and from Cam. Hehe.
i dont understand what you are trying to say?
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
i dont understand what you are trying to say?
Suggesting (righly in my opinion) that there are minority of universities that like to think that they are much better than they actually are. In this case citing Durham and Bristol as examples. In my opinion the theory applies perfectly to Durham (asking for AAB for Comp Sci when they can hardly teach the subject with those facilities) and to a slightly lesser but just as real extent to Bristol. These institution are accused of demanding grades from applicant that are too high in comparison to the level of teaching and research for that subject simply to make themselves look good. In theory this would not work but some students do like to apply to places purely based on the difficulty of the entry requirements. I think that these universities effectively steal students away from other universities who's reputation and credentials are based on the hardwork they put in to improve the entire university rather than self-glorifying requirement inflation.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Leekey has pretty much perfectly understood my meaning.

I suppose on these forums it's difficult not to be "personal" because there is bound to be someone somewhere who could take offence at what you say.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

I suppose on these forums it's difficult not to be "personal" because there is bound to be someone somewhere who could take offence at what you say.
oh no i agree with whatyou and leekey are saying, especially durham. i didnt understand what you meant about grammar schools but i guess that topic causes so many stupid arguments its prob best to leave it
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Its ok I think we all understand you now. Its just understandable that people would can easily get the wrong idea like you say. We don't know if you're as down to earth as a typical person or as stuck up as Victoria Beckham. You seem very down to eath though despite your amazing achievments.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
oh no i agree with whatyou and leekey are saying, especially durham. i didnt understand what you meant about grammar schools but i guess that topic causes so many stupid arguments its prob best to leave it
That particular can of worms has been opened many times so it probably best to leave it alone for a bit. I do think its worse for uni's to do the self-love thing though because a degree from one uni is not equivalent to that from another, whereas in schools at least GCSE's and A-levels are equivalent for everyone so wherever you go you know that you have not be rediculously disadvantaged!!!
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
I can only talk for my course.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.71%
Better than expected (129)
21.68%
Worse than expected (319)
53.61%

Watched Threads