The Student Room Group

Good Physics Books/Magazines to include in Physics P.S????

Hey guys, i am about to start writing my P.S, and i am gonna study Physics.
I am going to apply to UK'S top universities having achieved 2 A*S and 3 As in my A levels.

The problem is that i am a guy that never bothered to read anything else besides what the Edexcel Books had to offer about Physics and i am a bit worried cause i am not sure from where to start reading things that i could use to include in my Physics P.S as every other guy will do who is applying for Physics.

By searching this site and other sites, i found that i should not include books by Hawking because they are used a lot in the P.Ss and admission tutors don't like it. Any other books that i should avoid??

So as the title says plz make some suggestions about which books/Magazines should i take a look at, and that should be useful to use in my P.s
Scientific American although its not entirely physics does have some good physics articles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thesupreme11
Hey guys, i am about to start writing my P.S, and i am gonna study Physics.
I am going to apply to UK'S top universities having achieved 2 A*S and 3 As in my A levels.

The problem is that i am a guy that never bothered to read anything else besides what the Edexcel Books had to offer about Physics and i am a bit worried cause i am not sure from where to start reading things that i could use to include in my Physics P.S as every other guy will do who is applying for Physics.

By searching this site and other sites, i found that i should not include books by Hawking because they are used a lot in the P.Ss and admission tutors don't like it. Any other books that i should avoid??

So as the title says plz make some suggestions about which books/Magazines should i take a look at, and that should be useful to use in my P.s

Scientific American is good as well. You can also read online about interesting physics developments(Higgs Field/Boson). You can also discuss interesting quantum effects.

You can also watch small TED lectures. I mean look at these:

The first one explores quantum locking and the second one shows a technique called femto-photography where they have actually been able to computationally create a video of light in motion.

Levitation with a superconductor

Imaging Light
Reply 3
Thanks guys for ur useful responses. The prob is that am running out of time and i must have my P.S done in a week's time and i dont know where to start from. The truth is that any book that i will chose to read will be like in a rush, so what shall i do?? I am in a state of panic here cause ive read through a lot of P.Ss and all of them seem to have a good knowledge when the talk about quantum and things like that. As i am concerned i just have a short idea about quantum, photoelectric etc, and it would take me a great deal of time to read and comprehend all these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending