The Student Room Group

Multiculturalism- what happens when......?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SkinnyKat
They aren't as rare as you make them out to be. There are some practices that are acceptable in the Pakistani culture which are NOT acceptable in the UK. The treatment of women and underage marriage, for example. You can't pretend it isn't happening, you can't say your culture is blameless and it's all a Western conspiracy. There is very little integration between people of the Pakistani culture and the rest of the UK population. For example, British Pakistani men and women routinely find a spouse overseas instead of finding one here. We have freedom of speech here, yes, including criticisms of Islam and your prophet. You may not like it, but living here, you have to accept it. Britain cannot and should not cater to every whim of foreign cultures.

They are definately more rare then you believe. It may not be a western conspiracy but there is definately exaggeration by the western media, which causes you people to believe it happens more often then it really does. You say there is little integration between British Pakistani people and the rest of the UK, but there is more integration than between Chinese and the rest of the UK, for example, just look at all the 'China Towns' and also every chinese person I know has a Chinese spouse.

This never started off as criticism of Islam and the prophet. However, if you have freedom of speech to disrepect our religion and prophet, we also have the right to protest. And no, we don't 'have to accept it'.
Reply 61
Original post by de_monies
No, the done thing here is you make the claim, you provide the proof.

In that entire article it mentions culture like twice. It mentions a culture of patriarchy, but for you to tar ALL South Africans like that, that is racist.

It's also not proof that it is deemed "normal" just that they are among the highest amount in the world

Where did I say all south Africans? I said people coming from cultures where it is normal to.... I did not say every single person coming from culture X does this.
Reply 62
Original post by 2DAYWSAGUDDAY
On the subject of finding a spouse from overseas-that is not a crime or UNACCEPTABLE so i don't get what your problem is.

So you need laws to be made for you to accept things are unacceptable?
Reply 63
Original post by amvirusalert
They are definately more rare then you believe. It may not be a western conspiracy but there is definately exaggeration by the western media, which causes you people to believe it happens more often then it really does. You say there is little integration between British Pakistani people and the rest of the UK, but there is more integration than between Chinese and the rest of the UK, for example, just look at all the 'China Towns' and also every chinese person I know has a Chinese spouse

How many Chinese people have stood on the streets of the UK calling for a Chinese-type law to be implemented in the UK?
Reply 64
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
Let me guess, you assume just because I'm Muslim that I hate the UK and want to impose Sharia law on the population.

So you accept islam is a religion where an element of it want to impose sharia law here?

No doubt you'll knock it off due to "extremists", but why don't extremists of other religions wish to impose things on the UK? I don't see the jews, hindus or sikhs trying to change British ways of life?
[QUOTE="billydisco;39653961"]
Original post by unclej

How about we invite 200,000 mexicans to the UK?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2126816

you enjoy having people castrated and nailed to public road signs, kidnapped from INSIDE police custody?

Multiculturalism sounds great....

I doubt anything close to that would happen if the 200,000 were professionals such as doctors, teachers and the such. There's a clear distinction between gangsters involved in a drug war and your average person. It's both ignorant and racist to assume that ALL Mexicans consider this normal and acceptable behaviour as you have clearly implied.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal

Okay, okay. You're right. Muslims are peaceful. Islam is peaceful. There are absolutely no problems with muslims in the UK :rolleyes:
Original post by dj1015
Some Islamic cultures it is considered okay to rape, murder and steal.

..... *insert witty meme to describe both my disgust for you and my the stupidity i feel emanating from you*
Clearly you know nothing about the religion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
How many Chinese people have stood on the streets of the UK calling for a Chinese-type law to be implemented in the UK?

The point of my post was not to say Chinese people are worse than others.

Regarding your question, you realise that the people who want sharia law implemented are extremists, yet you still ignorant enough to bring it up?
Reply 69
Original post by Rainingshame
I doubt anything close to that would happen if the 200,000 were professionals such as doctors, teachers and the such. There's a clear distinction between gangsters involved in a drug war and your average person.

But the Eastern Europeans allowed (not even invited) here because of the EU aren't professionals?

Original post by Rainingshame
It's both ignorant and racist to assume that ALL Mexicans consider this normal and acceptable behaviour as you have clearly implied.

(Once again) I never said that all mexicans would be like that- but if we (randomly) invited 200,000 mexicans, due to the statistics some of the people invited would have to be most likely of that violent nature.
(edited 11 years ago)
They are definately more rare then you believe. It may not be a western conspiracy but there is definately exaggeration by the western media, which causes you people to believe it happens more often then it really does. You say there is little integration between British Pakistani people and the rest of the UK, but there is more integration than between Chinese and the rest of the UK, for example, just look at all the 'China Towns' and also every chinese person I know has a Chinese spouse.

This never started off as criticism of Islam and the prophet. However, if you have freedom of speech to disrepect our religion and prophet, we also have the right to protest. And no, we don't 'have to accept it'.

China Town is simply a business district. It's full of restaurants and shops and everyone is very welcome to go, they cater for both Chinese and English people and attract many tourists. Just spend some money - that's all there is to it, they want your business! No one actually lives there. It's not a ghetto. There is no such thing as a Chinese ghetto in the UK. You will not find a residential area where there is a Chinese majority living there, unlike South Asians all living in the same part of town.

As a Chinese, I know all about Western media exaggeration :biggrin: especially against the Chinese! No backlash though, no riots, no murders.

And I know plenty of Chinese-English relationships! Not as many as Chinese-Chinese, but definitely enough that it's not an issue. There is no hostility between the English and the British Chinese (except for racists, but I'm not counting them).

Edit: All the China Towns? You mean a grand total of 4 in England? Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and London? Not sure about Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland but I'm pretty sure we're not swarming with them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
The point of my post was not to say Chinese people are worse than others.

Regarding your question, you realise that the people who want sharia law implemented are extremists, yet you still ignorant enough to bring it up?

So what do the "extremists" of judaism, sikhism and hinduish do?
Reply 72
Okay, okay. You're right. Muslims are peaceful. Islam is peaceful. There are absolutely no problems with muslims in the UK :rolleyes:

or Libya
or Pakistan
or India
or Afghanistan
or Somalia
or Iraq
or Iran
or Syria
or Indonesia
or Egypt
or Saudi Arabia
or Lebanon
So what do the "extremists" of judaism, sikhism and hinduish do?

What do they have to do with anything? Does the term 'extremist' only apply to people who want to impose a law ?
Reply 74
What do they have to do with anything? Does the term 'extremist' only apply to people who want to impose a law ?

It is VERY relevant because at some point you will tell me every religion has its extremists. So I am asking you, where are the extremists of those religions and what do they do in the UK?
or Libya
or Pakistan
or India
or Afghanistan
or Somalia
or Iraq
or Iran
or Syria
or Indonesia
or Egypt
or Saudi Arabia
or Lebanon

You forgot America, France, Norway, Malaysia...
So you accept islam is a religion where an element of it want to impose sharia law here?

Yes, there is a very small amount of clowns led by Anjem Choudhary. However, they number very little and are absolutely no threat to anyone.
China Town is simply a business district. It's full of restaurants and shops and everyone is very welcome to go, they cater for both Chinese and English people and attract many tourists. Just spend some money - that's all there is to it, they want your business! No one actually lives there. It's not a ghetto. There is no such thing as a Chinese ghetto in the UK. You will not find a residential area where there is a Chinese majority living there, unlike South Asians all living in the same part of town.

As a Chinese, I know all about Western media exaggeration :biggrin: especially against the Chinese! No backlash though, no riots, no murders.

And I know plenty of Chinese-English relationships! Not as many as Chinese-Chinese, but definitely enough that it's not an issue. There is no hostility between the English and the British Chinese (except for racists, but I'm not counting them).

Edit: All the China Towns? You mean a grand total of 4 in England? Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and London? Not sure about Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland but I'm pretty sure we're not swarming with them.

I know what China Town's are, but correct me if I am I wrong to say the majority of people there are Chinese? The point I am trying to get across is that maybe the reason behind that is that Chinese people feel more comfortable there? Whatever the reason, people should not have a problem with that. Similarly, you should not have a problem with South Asians living in the same part of town.

The reason was not backlash is that it is not as serious as mocking a religion. And as far as the murders are concerned, you will find that almost all muslims believe that is wrong.

And yes, by 'all' i meant 'all 4'. >.>
It is VERY relevant because at some point you will tell me every religion has its extremists. So I am asking you, where are the extremists of those religions and what do they do in the UK?

Is it necessary for it to be in the UK for it to be extremism? And a quick google search will show you the extremists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending