Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering. On this board there are some people who are without doubt very bright. Is anyone interested in joining the civil service having left university with their first or their 2 1? Or is everyone going to work in the city and make their millions?

ReputationRep:
    Me me me!

ReputationRep:
    Noone else? Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I was wondering. On this board there are some people who are without doubt very bright. Is anyone interested in joining the civil service having left university with their first or their 2 1?
    I've considered it But i have a feeling i'll end up as a rather eccentric English teacher back at my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I was wondering. On this board there are some people who are without doubt very bright. Is anyone interested in joining the civil service having left university with their first or their 2 1? Or is everyone going to work in the city and make their millions?
    I did the civil service fasttrack recruitment application in 2002.

I got through the first couple of rounds but then didnt make it through the interview.
    The competition is amazingly tough tons of people with firsts and 5 foreign languages who have had a year out in Brussels as part of their course or who have already done work exp for civil service in London. When I didnt get through that way I started in the civil service in an entry level position. My advice is unless you get in as a grad dont bother because they wont consider taking advantage of the fact you are a grad and you will be stuck for a boring job for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    wat do you mean by civil service though.... there are a lot of civil servants out there, not all rich and successful.

i'm working for the civil service now on my gap year, and the job isn't fantastically interesting. it's a secure job, but the promotion path is VERY slow... in a way i'm glad i won't be stuck on this promotion ladder for life - it's only a gap year job.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably end up in the Civil Service, if everything else fails... or as a teacher but I really don't want that! But I tend to get exactly what I DON'T want, so quiet down, children!

ReputationRep:
    Civil service fasttrack graduate recruitment it is a specific process - and then they choose where to place you once you have got the job.

Most of the entry level salaries are appalling. We had someone at my place with a PhD who was on 10k!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Civil service fasttrack graduate recruitment it is a specific process - and then they choose where to place you once you have got the job.

Most of the entry level salaries are appalling. We had someone at my place with a PhD who was on 10k!
    exactly - the department building where i work has over 400 people, but most of them (on my grade) are only on 12k - which is well under the nat average! plenty of grads about, but also ppl like me there - no real qualifications are required for entry level work.

ReputationRep:
    Don't the fast trackers go to Whitehall? I think that's the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    exactly - the department building where i work has over 400 people, but most of them (on my grade) are only on 12k - which is well under the nat average! plenty of grads about, but also ppl like me there - no real qualifications are required for entry level work.
    Yup I was on 11k when I started and left on just under 13. It stinks. THe girl I worked with who started at the same time as me, had a degree in business and a conversion in law, she had worked as a regional retail manager and her previous salary had been over 30k. She was working at our place cos she had just come back to work after having a baby and wanted something slightly less intense so she could spend more time with the baby but in the 2 years that shes been there now (and obviously now she doesnt have baby issues cos hes over 3 and goes to nursery) they havent attempted to utilise her experience at all and would rather promote people who have been there a bit longer even though they have no management skills and nothing beyond GCSEs.

My advice is seriously dont work in the civil service unless you get a grad job because most departments arent exactly forward thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empedocles)
    Don't the fast trackers go to Whitehall? I think that's the difference.
    Nope they go all over the country some go to whitehall but you can go into grad civil service all over the country only some civil serv orgs recruit grads into grad roles though.

Employment tribunal service for example take on grads all over the country and the salary starts low but rises pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Nope they go all over the country some go to whitehall but you can go into grad civil service all over the country only some civil serv orgs recruit grads into grad roles though.

Employment tribunal service for example take on grads all over the country and the salary starts low but rises pretty quickly.
    can i ask - what are the advantages of having worked in the civil service then, with regards getting a grad civil service job? i'm doing entry level civil service stuff during my gap year now.

i don't know if i want to go into the civil service for a career, but it might be handy to know what the prospects would be like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    can i ask - what are the advantages of having worked in the civil service then, with regards getting a grad civil service job? i'm doing entry level civil service stuff during my gap year now.

i don't know if i want to go into the civil service for a career, but it might be handy to know what the prospects would be like.

Probably pretty good I didnt have civil service experience before i applied for the fast track scheme but most of the poeple I did the assesment day for had done something of that type. I imagine it is a big advantage I'm hoping so anyway cos I'm applying for a civ service legal summer placement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i'd get into the fast stream thingy bob because of GCSE's, A-Levels and Uni choice I might apply for an internship at the Commonwealth Institute, via my International Relations department at Uni, and work experience is quite valued, so the FCO here I go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I don't think i'd get into the fast stream thingy bob because of GCSE's, A-Levels and Uni choice I might apply for an internship at the Commonwealth Institute, via my International Relations department at Uni, and work experience is quite valued, so the FCO here I go
    they ask for a specific amount of A Levels I dont think they were bothered about GCSEs cant even remember writing them on the form I think if you get good work exp and a good grade uni choice wouldnt matter that much. Its pretty competitive tho so I think that it is good to get a really good 2.1 or first and have decent work exp. I didnt go to a top 20 uni for my first degree (although it was v good for my department) and I got through a few rounds of recruitment, so I didnt feel that my uni choice was frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    Probably pretty good I didnt have civil service experience before i applied for the fast track scheme but most of the poeple I did the assesment day for had done something of that type. I imagine it is a big advantage I'm hoping so anyway cos I'm applying for a civ service legal summer placement.
    that sounds good...got some more options open

so how tough is it to get through on the fast track? how many people apply?

ReputationRep:
    they ask for a specific amount of A Levels I dont think they were bothered about GCSEs cant even remember writing them on the form I think if you get good work exp and a good grade uni choice wouldnt matter that much. Its pretty competitive tho so I think that it is good to get a really good 2.1 or first and have decent work exp. I didnt go to a top 20 uni for my first degree (although it was v good for my department) and I got through a few rounds of recruitment, so I didnt feel that my uni choice was frowned upon.
    Cool Keele isn't top 20, but both departments are highly respected. I think a 2:1 is well within reach, and if I break my neck possibly a 1st. I guess they pick the best person for the job, and if you have a good interview, that would be excellent. The Civil Service is ever expanding, and too is Mi5 but I think a career lies in politics for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Cool Keele isn't top 20, but both departments are highly respected. I think a 2:1 is well within reach, and if I break my neck possibly a 1st. I guess they pick the best person for the job, and if you have a good interview, that would be excellent. The Civil Service is ever expanding, and too is Mi5 but I think a career lies in politics for me.
    politics is a dark and dirty path to go down isn't it? stick to civil service mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    that sounds good...got some more options open

so how tough is it to get through on the fast track? how many people apply?
    Dont know how many apply. You start off with the application you have to have had a 2.1 i think (could be a 2.2 but I think its a 2.1) or above and a certain amount of ucas points (i think it was 22-24 points but it could have changed) to apply. If your app gets accepted you get sent to an assessment centre- mine was at aston in Birmingham, and we took a day of psychometric tests. You know the type you can actually buy a book on civil service tests for practice. They do they assessments all over the country at unis. I'd say there were about 200 at mine so it must be thousands who apply all over the country cant remember how many they recruit but it tells you in the application pack.
    Then I think ( I had a few of this type and they all blur into one so I cant remember exactly) I then had a day when I got invited to another centre and we had to take part in exercises and then I had an interview and thats as far as I got.

http://www.careers.civil-service.gov...ID=132&635132=

http://www.faststream.gov.uk/index.asp?txtNavID=54

http://www.careers.civil-service.gov...ID=135&635132=

This will be more informative than me i think

If you look on the MI5 site they have a seperate recruitment process for grads

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.