Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    politics is a dark and dirty path to go down isn't it? stick to civil service mate
    Of course its dirty. I'd rather work in an elected organisation though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I was wondering. On this board there are some people who are without doubt very bright. Is anyone interested in joining the civil service having left university with their first or their 2 1? Or is everyone going to work in the city and make their millions?
    A Civil Service job and a City job are probably highest up in my list of what I'll do after university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Most of the entry level salaries are appalling. We had someone at my place with a PhD who was on 10k!
    Really? On fast track? Hell the 'regular' entry level for an HO is £19k in London....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Really? On fast track? Hell the 'regular' entry level for an HO is £19k in London....
    no this was entry level she was talking about...

HO you mean HEO = grade 4? and london wages are higher than the rest of the country btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    no this was entry level she was talking about...

HO you mean HEO = grade 4? and london wages are higher than the rest of the country btw.
    No I mean EO! I'm a civil servant, and HO where I work is defo £19K - £19,250 to be precise. It's even more in places like DEFRA. HEo is £23K I think, but would have to check on the intranet on Tuesday....

My AA is on 16K, and he cames straight from GCSEs..

ReputationRep:
    No I mean EO! I'm a civil servant, and HO where I work is defo £19K - £19,250 to be precise. It's even more in places like DEFRA. HEo is £23K I think, but would have to check on the intranet on Tuesday....

My AA is on 16K, and he cames straight from GCSEs..
    cool, what dpt are you in? i'm in DWP...

ur london rate obviously....... our AAs get 10500, and i'm 12070 basic (AO)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    cool, what dpt are you in? i'm in DWP...

ur london rate obviously....... our AAs get 10500, and i'm 12070 basic (AO)
    FSA.

ReputationRep:
    Not on fast track they didnt have any fasttrack people at my place.
    I dont think you can start on fasttrack for less than 16k.
    AA salaries start (or started when I started work) at 9k but it goes up to about 15 I think at my place depending on how long you worked there.
    London salaries are higher. I believe they are trying to standardise civil service pay across the departments but it still varies at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    FSA. Only on a casual contract now though as I'm off to Med School in September. Still got a job til then, My boss doesn't have to go thru the appraisal process for me this year and I've been promised holiday work at HSO level
    fsa...... Food Standards? what grade/salary are you on? (in plain grade terms if pos as well, since your dept seems to have different acronyms for the same grade.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather earn £25k and think I was doing public good than earn £60k a year from shares and stuff. I would like to work for the public sector very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I would rather earn £25k and think I was doing public good than earn £60k a year from shares and stuff. I would like to work for the public sector very much.
    i doubt you'd get the same feeling if you spent 3 months here... there's alot of paper shoving, and because the promotion path is so slow and is based on people retiring/leaving (the famous civil service job security), you will find that there are many supervisors above you who are inferior to you in many ways, and have the most incredible self importance. your talent can be overlooked and go unrewarded when working for the gvt.

tho the flexi hours, the annual leave etc are all perks of the job. and you DO feel as if you make a difference to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i doubt you'd get the same feeling if you spent 3 months here... there's alot of paper shoving, and because the promotion path is so slow and is based on people retiring/leaving (the famous civil service job security), you will find that there are many supervisors above you who are inferior to you in many ways, and have the most incredible self importance. your talent can be overlooked and go unrewarded when working for the gvt.

tho the flexi hours, the annual leave etc are all perks of the job. and you DO feel as if you make a difference to everyone.
    My dad was a senior librarian for 30 years so what you say makes a lot of sense, the fact his bosses were inferior is why he left in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to work for the EU's vast civil service; the Bordeaux IEP course I've applied for leads to a vocational final year based on a career in the civil service at Brussels. I'd also like to work for the public good withour having to be a lying, scheming, elected politician. The pay is good but you gotta be good to get in. I hope I make the grade ......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    fsa...... Food Standards? what grade/salary are you on? (in plain grade terms if pos as well, since your dept seems to have different acronyms for the same grade.
    HSO.

The same ranks as DEFRA - although the pay brackets in DEFRA are a bit higher from what people have said....

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.