The Student Room Group

The BIG Jump from A-levels and Degree Level

I've been advised to re-post this here.

So, I'm just about to start first year of pharmacy, and wanted to know from any university student, the difference between study and revison at uni level compared to a-level?

I went through a-level just learning the reveision guides and exam practice. How is it done at uni level? I know its alot more independent! I'm just a little worried I might not be able to do it - like study or revise the right way

What ways are there to learn? Is reading and making notes form textbooks enough? Lecture notes? And when they say reading around the subject? - Is that just reading different text books around the same topic?

Sorry for all the questions and if it doesn't make much sense..I feel so muddled :colondollar: :s-smilie:

Thanks for any advice and replies! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Princess Kawaii

So, I'm just about to start first year of pharmacy, and wanted to know from any university student, the difference between study and revison at uni level compared to a-level?

I went through a-level just learning the reveision guides and exam practice. How is it done at uni level? I know its alot more independent! I'm just a little worried I might not be able to do it - like study or revise the right way

What ways are there to learn? Is reading and making notes form textbooks enough? Lecture notes? And when they say reading around the subject? - Is that just reading different text books around the same topic?

Sorry for all the questions and if it doesn't make much sense..I feel so muddled :colondollar: :s-smilie:

There won't be any revision guides like the ones for A-Level and GCSE, as all the courses are different, cover broader content and they differ from year to year.

But if you were bright enough to do A-Levels, it won't take you long to realise what you have to do to 'read around the subject'. Normally a recommended reading list will be provided at the beginning of each module which will prove a good reference point. Lecture slides will be probably put up on blackboard, but don't rely on them as revision tools. Just make sure you take good enough notes so you can understand and remember them when you read them during revision.

Your first year is basically designed to get you used to this way of learning. It's really not as daunting as I described it, but by the end of first year you'll be so confident in what you're doing that you'll know exactly what to do in second and third year (which count way more towards your degree than first year!)
Reply 2

They'll ease you in so don't worry :smile:
Reply 3

firstly its up to you to do as much work as you feel neccesary, as long as you hand in coursework they wont be chasing you even if it isnt up to a great standard (i.e if it just scrapes a pass)

as far as reading goes, as has been said you get a reading list, its up to you how much you want to read. and i believe for sciency subjects textbooks are important, but certainly in arts its any book thats related to the topic, textbook or not.
Reply 4
Hi, my name is Cindy. I need a little help. I'm 16 years old, and I plan to take foundation course in Bellerbys College. After foundation I'm going to apply to university of arts for BA graphic design (central saint martins or LCC), and I really do need an answer if they really strict with the minimum age requirements? CSM prefer 18 above, but LCC's not. But I just want to make sure.
Please do reply, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending