The Student Room Group

Me and my animation dissertation

Hello to everyone and anyone. I am a second year animation student and I am extremley stuck with securing a topic for my dissertation. I have mainly worked in 2D / Traditional animation and I have deep interests in environmentalsim, humanism and animal rights. I did consider doing a study on female characters and how the rise and events of feminism in the last century has evolved characters but I was told that I probably would not be able to stretch it into 10000 words, only about 5000. I also considered writing about how the relationship between animated sitcoms and social commentary (e.g Family Guy has based some of its storylines upon American poilitics with conservtive and liberal views, like the episode "Excellence in Broadcasting") but being English, I couldn't point to anyone English made shows that have this relationship and this could be hard when it comes to researching for the dissertation. Now I just can't think of any topic ideas. I'd appreciate any suggestions or if possible, anyone who has majored in animation themselves. Thank you for any help :smile:
Reply 1
If you are interested in environmentalism you could consider how the representation of the environment (natural world) in animations has altered over the course of animation history - the earliest example (off the top of my head) where some form of environmentalism is considered is probably Bambi, where the environment changes in colour mood to reflect the different themes of the film (life vs death), then you could look at how environmentalism is represented by animators such as Frederic Back (The Man Who Planted Trees) where the animation is about one man's struggle to change the environment (whereas Bambi is a weak criticism of those who damage / kill our environment, Frederick Back goes much further). Daiki Aizawa represents the endless cycle of the environment until man enters to disturb and destroy the rhythm in his animation Loop Pool - this film is straight criticism, whereas Frederick Back offers a dialogue that considers options. Mark Baker's Hill Farm might be worth a look for seeing how domesticated and wild nature is represented, and how man responds to both. Rich Scurry's commercial for RBC Blue Water shows visuals that skirt around the issue - you could criticise the animator for failure to deal with the issue for directly.

You could also look into why animation as a medium is used to represent ugly truths - because it is one step removed from film, it can assist in the viewing of potentially troubling material to an audience - they are less likely to turn away because the visuals they see are not real, and therefore less threatening than film, and so that same audience may listen to the message without the prejudice of the visuals.

Good luck!
Original post by moid
If you are interested in environmentalism you could consider how the representation of the environment (natural world) in animations has altered over the course of animation history - the earliest example (off the top of my head) where some form of environmentalism is considered is probably Bambi, where the environment changes in colour mood to reflect the different themes of the film (life vs death), then you could look at how environmentalism is represented by animators such as Frederic Back (The Man Who Planted Trees) where the animation is about one man's struggle to change the environment (whereas Bambi is a weak criticism of those who damage / kill our environment, Frederick Back goes much further). Daiki Aizawa represents the endless cycle of the environment until man enters to disturb and destroy the rhythm in his animation Loop Pool - this film is straight criticism, whereas Frederick Back offers a dialogue that considers options. Mark Baker's Hill Farm might be worth a look for seeing how domesticated and wild nature is represented, and how man responds to both. Rich Scurry's commercial for RBC Blue Water shows visuals that skirt around the issue - you could criticise the animator for failure to deal with the issue for directly.

You could also look into why animation as a medium is used to represent ugly truths - because it is one step removed from film, it can assist in the viewing of potentially troubling material to an audience - they are less likely to turn away because the visuals they see are not real, and therefore less threatening than film, and so that same audience may listen to the message without the prejudice of the visuals.

Good luck!

Hello, I do realise this is quite an old post but I do hope you might see this message! I am highly interested in writing my dissertation on why animation as a medium is used to represent ugly truths but I can barely find any sources on this topic and its a huge struggle I have been searching for some lead in the right direction but I cant really find anything that doesn't go off topic from what I wish to write about? If you have any ideas at all I would be really grateful to check them out!
Reply 3
You need to look into the psychology of representation I think. Either that or look at how symbols are used to represent things that disturb us so that they can be considered as safe to consume - for example how we represent death with symbols. Animation is considered by most adults to be a safe art form; an extension of their childhood, so they do not view it as being something to be concerned by, and therefore they will watch an animation about something disturbing more readily than they would watch a live action film about the same area. It's about how reality is abstracted in animation (well the non photorealistic bits anyway), the less realistic something is, the less of a threat it is. Think about how sex education is taught in schools - do they show films / images of actual people having sex, or do they show drawings / animations? One is considered shocking and morally dangerous, the other is acceptable under the guise of education, but both cover the same message.
Reply 4
Hey! I know this is very late post, but I was wondering if you could help me with my Praxis animation dissertation as your answers are incredibly useful! I need to create a 2/3 minute animation and then write about it and the research; this is my final year project. My topic is environmental animation and I was thinking to have a question that sounds something like this: 'How to represent compromise between animals/nature and humans?' Basically how to create an animation short that is not a pure critique, but the one that shows the natural cycle of life, but also indicates that we still need to protect our environment and treasure it because it is part of humans and something that we need as well. Please if you can think of any other idea for a short that can also be later explored in the essay that would be super useful because at the moment I cannot think of anything else. It's good if the idea is more or less original too, although that is not as important. I was thinking to use Adobe After Effects and do a 2D animation as well. If you know any useful articles to read about this topic please let me know! Thanks a lot!
Reply 5
Original post by moid
You need to look into the psychology of representation I think. Either that or look at how symbols are used to represent things that disturb us so that they can be considered as safe to consume - for example how we represent death with symbols. Animation is considered by most adults to be a safe art form; an extension of their childhood, so they do not view it as being something to be concerned by, and therefore they will watch an animation about something disturbing more readily than they would watch a live action film about the same area. It's about how reality is abstracted in animation (well the non photorealistic bits anyway), the less realistic something is, the less of a threat it is. Think about how sex education is taught in schools - do they show films / images of actual people having sex, or do they show drawings / animations? One is considered shocking and morally dangerous, the other is acceptable under the guise of education, but both cover the same message.

Hey! I know this is very late post, but I was wondering if you could help me with my Praxis animation dissertation as your answers are incredibly useful! I need to create a 2/3 minute animation and then write about it and the research; this is my final year project. My topic is environmental animation and I was thinking to have a question that sounds something like this: 'How to represent compromise between animals/nature and humans?' Basically how to create an animation short that is not a pure critique, but the one that shows the natural cycle of life, but also indicates that we still need to protect our environment and treasure it because it is part of humans and something that we need as well. Please if you can think of any other idea for a short that can also be later explored in the essay that would be super useful because at the moment I cannot think of anything else. It's good if the idea is more or less original too, although that is not as important. I was thinking to use Adobe After Effects and do a 2D animation as well. If you know any useful articles to read about this topic please let me know! Thanks a lot!
Reply 6
Hi there

Have you seen Daiki Aizawa's short film Loop Pool - it encapsulates the cycles of life in the natural world which exist until they are shattered by the arrival of man. Hill Farm by Mark Baker shows the other side of the story - man's struggle against nature. Quercus by Vuk Jevremevic shows the story of an oak tree over a thousand years of history and how humanity interacts with it. I would highly recommend The Man Who Planted Trees by Frederic Back as well - and it may well be worth you reading the original novelette the aniamtion is based on - it's very moving and an excellent story. I'll leave you with a quote from Khalil Gibran

"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky. We cut them down, and make books from them so that we may record our loneliness." which seems symptomatic of humanity's relationship with nature.
Reply 7
Hi. I know this is an old post. But I could really use some help figuring out my final dissertation. I am doing Creative Multimedia and want to do a Paper Cut Out Animation as the final project and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It has to be connected to the dissertation.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest