The Student Room Group

The super awesome bestest training log

Ok, so I did have a training blog on here but I cant be bothered to dig it up and post in it so I started a new one.

Too the point...

Lifting mostly for strength with a bit of HIIT here and there, broke my ankle back in march, finished physio a few weeks ago and now trying to get my old strength back.

Old PRs which I want back and to eventually break

Deadlift 240kg

Squat 200kg x 2

Bench Press: 100kg x 5 (back there now, did it last week. So onwards and upwards)

And here is also a pic of my lovely ankle after repairs:

Also see that screw at the bottom? Thats giving me a **** ton of greif as it sticks out and rubs a lot, so on the waiting list to have it taken out which is going to set me back even more. Yay!

Anyway, routine wise its nothing fancy.

Day one shall be deadlifts, working up to some heavy triples, followed by power cleans, some type of row and then biceps.

Day two shall be Upper body pressing, bench press, overhead press, dips and some triceps

Day three shall be Back squats 3x5 followed by some other leg work, most likely
front squats, RDLs and whatever else.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you started Squatting and deadlifting again since you broke your ankle?

Or are you planning on starting these next week...?
Reply 2
Original post by Motorbiker
Have you started Squatting and deadlifting again since you broke your ankle?

Or are you planning on starting these next week...?

Have been for the last few weeks. Squats are only at 120kg, deadlifts have been going back up quite nicely tho. Hit 170kg for 3 triples a few days ago.
Original post by Megaloblastic
Have been for the last few weeks. Squats are only at 120kg, deadlifts have been going back up quite nicely tho. Hit 170kg for 3 triples a few days ago.

Not too bad. I know it's not close to what you were doing before but it's getting there.

How much weight you adding each week? 2.5?5?
Reply 4
Original post by Motorbiker
Not too bad. I know it's not close to what you were doing before but it's getting there.

How much weight you adding each week? 2.5?5?

Ive been adding 10kg for deads and 5kg for squats, gonna have to start lowering what I add each week soon tho lol
Reply 5
Bit of a mix with regards to lifts done...

Overhead Press:
bar x lots
40kg x 10
50kg x 35
50kg x 2
60kg x 2
72.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3 (and 1 push press)

Happy with that, new PR

Power Cleans:
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
80kg x 1
80kg x 1
80kg x 3

Easy enough, just working on getting form right.

Dips:
bw x 10
15kg x 6
20kg x 6
20kg x 6
Drop set - 40kg x 3, 20kg x 4, bw x 8

Bunch of face pulls to finish.
Reply 6
Front squats:
(did these first, all racks in use so power cleaned the bar up)
bar x lots
30kg x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2

Squats:
60kg x 6
100kg x 3
100kg x 3
100kg x 3

Pulled my abs a little yesterday and these started to aggravate it a little so didnt go very heavy

RDL:
60kg x 6
80kg x 3
100kg x 6
100kg x 6
100kg x 6
70kg x 20

Last set was a killer, lower back and hammies were fried at the end lol

Was going to do some leg press at the end but some bronies jumped on it before I could.

That's a **** load of metal work in your ankle. Are they still in? Were you still training upper whilst injured?
Reply 8
In, monster deads and squats.

Also, I had exactly the same procedure done on my ankle. Don't worry, your strength will come back far quicker than you anticipate. Just a quick question, how do you find running now? I haven't been able to run for **** since I did my ankle which was some time ago. Tempted to get the plate taken out but it's going to be a bitch being out of action again.
Subbed. Considering I'll probably see you around. Very impressive lifts.
Original post by cowsforsale

That's a **** load of metal work in your ankle. Are they still in? Were you still training upper whilst injured?

Still in at the moment, on the waiting list to have it taken out. Did a lot of upper body work over the summer. The first thing a guy I played rugby with said when he saw me was that I have gotten much bigger upper body wise which is always good :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cast.Iron
In, monster deads and squats.

Also, I had exactly the same procedure done on my ankle. Don't worry, your strength will come back far quicker than you anticipate. Just a quick question, how do you find running now? I haven't been able to run for **** since I did my ankle which was some time ago. Tempted to get the plate taken out but it's going to be a bitch being out of action again.

Ive been surprised at how much by deadlifts have gone up recently to be fair. When it comes to running I still have a bit of a limp. Need to try and get back into doing sprints but I am having the metalwork taken out sometime in the next few months so we'll see how it will affect me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Deadlifts:
60kg x 10
100kg x 3
100kg x 2
140kg x 2
160kg x 1
180kg x 3

Guy that worked in the gym came up to me just before I was about to do the second set and said "If you are lifting that much weight, do you mind using one of the older bars? The new ones tend to bend a lot" I though to myself, dafuq? but ok...
So then had to move all the weight to another bar, lower back was pumped to shiz by now.

180kg x 3
180kg x 1 (was going for 3 but havnig to change bars messed up my groove a little, oh well)

Power Cleans:
60kg x 5
70kg x 2
80kg x 3
80kg x 3
80kg x 3

Easy enough

Dumbbell Rows:
30kg x 6
42.5kg x 6
42.5kg x 6
42.5kg x 8

Couldnt be arsed to do any bicep work, so did a bit of grip work, just some thick bar holds (using fat gripz).
Hi phil this is judy glad training going well but don't overdo it. Hope you eating well

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Overhead Press
bar x lots
bar x 5
40kg x 8
50kg x 5
60kg x 3
70kg x 1
72.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
(push press) 72.5kg x 5

Presses felt easy today, gonna up the weight when I get 6 sets of 3

Bench Press:
60kg x 5
80kg x 3
90kg x 1
100kg x 5

Happy with that, especially as I did it after heavy presses

A few sets of facepulls, nothing special...

Dips:
bw x 10
15kg x 5
30kg x 6
30kg x 6
(drop set) 30kg x 5, 15kg x 5, bw x 6, bw x 2

Tried to do some cardio on the rowing mahine but ankle started to play up after about 2 mins so I jumped on the bikes instead, followed by some foam rolling and stretching.
My friend who was on the bikes while I was foam rolling said I got a lot of strange looks lol, probably because it looked like I was humping the floor (getting dem tight spots on the inside my legs) while grimacing...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by commandant
Hi phil this is judy glad training going well but don't overdo it. Hope you eating well

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thank you mother
Reply 16
In to watch. Good luck getting back your old PRs! You planning on entering any competitions as something to aim for?
Original post by Becca
In to watch. Good luck getting back your old PRs! You planning on entering any competitions as something to aim for?

I would like to enter a competition again as a bit of fun but it wouldnt be for a while yet though. Have a ridiculously busy year coming up and then will (hopefully) be working pretty much as soon as I graduate. At the moment I think hitting my old PRs will be a nice target because i'm also about 5kg lighter than when I did them before :tongue:
Squats:
bar x lots
60kg x 5
60kg x 3
80kg x 3
100kg x 1
125kg x 5
125kg x 5
125kg x 5

All went up nicely.

Front squats:
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
70kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 2
80kg x 2
100kg x 2

RDL:
60kg x 6
80kg x 3
105kg x 6
105kg x 6
105kg x 5

Leg Press:
100kg x 5
150kg x 15
150kg x 15
150kg x 10

Hell of a pum in quads after these.

Also now have a date for when I'm getting the screws taken out, the 1st Novemeber. Would like to try and hit a 200kg dead and 140kg squat before then, should be doable...
(edited 11 years ago)
Didnt do much today, wasnt even planning on going...

Did a bit of pressing, worked up to 80kg push press

Power cleans:
60kg x 3
70kg x 2
70kg x 2
80kg x 1
100kg fail
100kg fail

Thought Id give 100kg a go lol, couldnt get it though, got the bar to about nipple level but couldnt get my elbows under

Practiced some hang cleans, mainly to practice dropping under the bar into a front squat, did 60kg for a few sets of 3

Quick Reply

Latest