Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    bad rep comin my way but... racism

y do coloured/black (i dont no wot to call them) and other people from other eithnic origins take great offence ay the smallest things.

its just inspired me to start this as theres an indian in the room with me now. a lad came in and said "hey, im doin this geog thing, i need ya help its about where u come from, dont no oat about india! never wana go either". the indian boys mate went ape sayin hes bein racist. he wudnt harm a fly let alone be racist!!!

and y is it coloured people can ban whites form clubs and nothin is said but a white who tells a coloured person they cant go into a club they get the poop kicked out of em?!

its an unfair world. and no, i am not racist. if anythin the complete opposite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    bad rep comin my way but... racism

y do coloured/black (i dont no wot to call them) and other people from other eithnic origins take great offence ay the smallest things.

its just inspired me to start this as theres an indian in the room with me now. a lad came in and said "hey, im doin this geog thing, i need ya help its about where u come from, dont no oat about india! never wana go either". the indian boys mate went ape sayin hes bein racist. he wudnt harm a fly let alone be racist!!!

and y is it coloured people can ban whites form clubs and nothin is said but a white who tells a coloured person they cant go into a club they get the poop kicked out of em?!

its an unfair world. and no, i am not racist. if anythin the complete opposite
    I know, don't get me started - oh you have!! It really Ps me off that you can have a 'black community centre' and all stuff like that. How much uproar would there be if I wanted a lottery grant to build a new 'white community centre' with?!! I also think that we should have MOWO music awards and white-history lessons... oooh, it makes me mad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I know, don't get me started - oh you have!! It really Ps me off that you can have a 'black community centre' and all stuff like that. How much uproar would there be if I wanted a lottery grant to build a new 'white community centre' with?!! I also think that we should have MOWO music awards and white-history lessons... oooh, it makes me mad!
    Talking about history - the only thing that wasn't white history we learnt - was black history. Using history as a counter argument isn't going to help, because far too many feel (especially the history department in our school) that the subject doesn't concentrate on the history of other races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    MOWO?

i no... its said. i have to b really careful around non-whites, and its not nice! id rather just b myself and treat them as other people, not havin to worry about offendin them thru racism

ReputationRep:
    MOWO?

i no... its said. i have to b really careful around non-whites, and its not nice! id rather just b myself and treat them as other people, not havin to worry about offendin them thru racism
    That shouldn't happen. You're beginning to sound as if all non- whites are simply overeactive people :rolleyes: Guys be careful how you phrase things - you all sound like you're generalising!

ReputationRep:
    I think PC is going so far now that nobody can be "curious" anymore about our differences. Ignorance (not just in the negative sense) can only be overcome by education. Take your uncertainty about what to call "non-whites" - I have the same problem! We are all so caught-up about what is PC and offensive that we can't just tackle the issue straight on. Noone would ever dream of saying to a black person "do you mind begin called black" because everyone has decided that to be equal we must ignore our differences. We are all equal but we need to recognise that we are different and enjoy being different and learning from and teaching others.

Why is asking someone about their ethnicity so appalling? I would be happy telling people that my ancestors are viking and that my surname is Norweigan etc etc. We can only be more tolerant if we recognise our differences. People who "pretend" that we are all "the same" are fooling themselves and are probably propagating misunderstanding and racism.

ReputationRep:
    MOWO?
    Music of White Origin, like the MOBO awards.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think that we should have MOWO awards... but it would only be fair. If race isn't an issue stop making it an issue! Same goes for being gay. Straight celebs don't feel the need to 'come out' and make a statement. It's none of my business and I couldn't care less! Plus...sorry am I ranting?...when people say 'ethnic' they don't seem to realise that this includes white people too. Ethnic is just a general term, white people also have an ethnic background, it's just not the same as the balck/asian...background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    That shouldn't happen. You're beginning to sound as if all non- whites are simply overeactive people :rolleyes: Guys be careful how you phrase things - you all sound like you're generalising!
    i no and i dont mean to. its a touchy subject, and im crap at wordin things at the best of times!!

i just feel that if i say one word out of line il b accused of bein racist. a couple of years back a new girl came into my yr11 rg and i remember sayin "awww i love ur hair" somethin along the lines was a reply thank you but white people can never have hair like this,. i said nothin i wasnt offended. i then said "i no.. its a shame, ur so lucky to ur colour ya no" and smiled. she wacked me across the face! i considered never bein friendly to non-whites again, but as u say, u cant b quick to generalise

ReputationRep:
    Talking about history - the only thing that wasn't white history we learnt - was black history. Using history as a counter argument isn't going to help, because far too many feel (especially the history department in our school) that the subject doesn't concentrate on the history of other races.
    It shouldn't be called 'black-history' or 'white history'! Why can't it just be 'history'??!

ReputationRep:
    i no and i dont mean to. its a touchy subject, and im crap at wordin things at the best of times!!

i just feel that if i say one word out of line il b accused of bein racist. a couple of years back a new girl came into my yr11 rg and i remember sayin "awww i love ur hair" somethin along the lines was a reply thank you but white people can never have hair like this,. i said nothin i wasnt offended. i then said "i no.. its a shame, ur so lucky to ur colour ya no" and smiled. she wacked me across the face! i considered never bein friendly to non-whites again, but as u say, u cant b quick to generalise
    I guess it also depends of on where you live, didn't take that into account! Here in London it's quite different especially where i live, it's pretty much multicultural, everyone accepts their differences as something positive and as a result there's hardly any confilct with people thriving in that environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It shouldn't be called 'black-history' or 'white history'! Why can't it just be 'history'??!
    Well it is History, but it's also seen as quite postive to have those labels - because the importance of both races is recognised - (Now hides feels as if she's said something wrong)

ReputationRep:
    i dont intend to make it an issue, jus want to get peoples views on what i pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    i dont intend to make it an issue, jus want to get peoples views on what i pointed out.

This is exaclty what I meant in my last post. Why are we all so touchy about our differences? We are all equal, but we're not all the same.

It's sad that people like Hitler are still f*cking up our society.

ReputationRep:
    Political Correctness = Social Dementia

Unless plain speaking is allowed, clear thinking is denied.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is History, but it's also seen as quite postive to have those labels - because the importance of both races is recognised - (Now hides feels as if she's said something wrong)
    Sorry, don't mean to have a go It just winds me up. It's all so contradictory. People saying we shouldn't label people and then labelling the music awards/community centres/history lessons... It annoys me that we can't use the label 'white' for things too because it excludes other races. Seems to me that it's happening the other way round, I feel quite defensive about this (incase you hadn't noticed!) and feel like I'm being excluded from certain things because I'm white.

sorry sorry sorry sorry... don't mean to upset anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Sorry, don't mean to have a go It just winds me up. It's all so contradictory. People saying we shouldn't label people and then labelling the music awards/community centres/history lessons... It annoys me that we can't use the label 'white' for things too because it excludes other races. Seems to me that it's happening the other way round, I feel quite defensive about this (incase you hadn't noticed!) and feel like I'm being excluded from certain things because I'm white.

sorry sorry sorry sorry... don't mean to upset anyone!
    Think how it must be for me, i'm stuck in the middle as i'm not totally white or asian

ReputationRep:
    These are the people who forget how Black (coloured is a dated, and rather stupid, term) people have been severely persecuted and treated like second class citizens for much of history. One might even say like they are today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    These are the people who forget how Black (coloured is a dated, and rather stupid, term) people have been severely persecuted and treated like second class citizens for much of history. One might even say like they are today.
    WHo are? Us?

Let me re-post what I wrote earlier:

I think PC is going so far now that nobody can be "curious" anymore about our differences. Ignorance (not just in the negative sense) can only be overcome by education. Take your uncertainty about what to call "non-whites" - I have the same problem! We are all so caught-up about what is PC and offensive that we can't just tackle the issue straight on. Noone would ever dream of saying to a black person "do you mind begin called black" because everyone has decided that to be equal we must ignore our differences. We are all equal but we need to recognise that we are different and enjoy being different and learning from and teaching others.

Why is asking someone about their ethnicity so appalling? I would be happy telling people that my ancestors are viking and that my surname is Norweigan etc etc. We can only be more tolerant if we recognise our differences. People who "pretend" that we are all "the same" are fooling themselves and are probably propagating misunderstanding and racism.

ReputationRep:
    i never get any reps so stop complaining!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.