Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    These are the people who forget how Black (coloured is a dated, and rather stupid, term) people have been severely persecuted and treated like second class citizens for much of history. One might even say like they are today.
    Why are they today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    WHo are? Us?

Let me re-post what I wrote earlier:

I think PC is going so far now that nobody can be "curious" anymore about our differences. Ignorance (not just in the negative sense) can only be overcome by education. Take your uncertainty about what to call "non-whites" - I have the same problem! We are all so caught-up about what is PC and offensive that we can't just tackle the issue straight on. Noone would ever dream of saying to a black person "do you mind begin called black" because everyone has decided that to be equal we must ignore our differences. We are all equal but we need to recognise that we are different and enjoy being different and learning from and teaching others.

Why is asking someone about their ethnicity so appalling? I would be happy telling people that my ancestors are viking and that my surname is Norweigan etc etc. We can only be more tolerant if we recognise our differences. People who "pretend" that we are all "the same" are fooling themselves and are probably propagating misunderstanding and racism.
    I didn't read you post, so chill out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Why are they today?
    They are marginalised and discriminated against. A black person is less likely to be successful in a job interview - being the most obvious.
    It is better than slavery, but there is still a long way to go.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read you post, so chill out.
    I didn't think so, that's why I posted it. I am "chilled" I was just showing you a post that perhaps conveyed what some people were trying to say.

I don't like this "us" and "them" business. This is the problem - noone can air their innocent but difficult to articulate views without accusations of racism etc because of the fear of the past (where blacks/"non whites" were severely persecuted).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think so, that's why I posted it. I am "chilled" I was just showing you a post that perhaps conveyed what some people were trying to say.

I don't like this "us" and "them" business. This is the problem - noone can air their innocent but difficult to articulate views without accusations of racism etc because of the fear of the past (where blacks/"non whites" were severely persecuted).
    Agreed. The unease about how to address black people is an unfortunate side effect of the situation.

You have to understand that most non-white people in this country will have experienced racism in one form or another.

ReputationRep:
    They are marginalised and discriminated against. A black person is less likely to be successful in a job interview - being the most obvious.
    It is better than slavery, but there is still a long way to go.
    That's not really true. There are so many careers fairs for black and minority groups - why should they get extra help?

ReputationRep:
    i don't really think so... if the "non white" people you are talking about are getting so offended, they're staying in the past just as much as the next guy and maybe more. that's never happened to me when i discussed it tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    a lad came in and said "hey, im doin this geog thing, i need ya help its about where u come from, dont no oat about india! never wana go either".
    What a ****.

ReputationRep:
    It strikes me that those who "hate" Political correctness are those which are unlikely to have experienced any form of ethnic prejudice. Thus, they are insufficiently experienced to make this judgement.
    I think PC is a barrier to understahding and acceptance in many ways. Obviously I recognise the necessity for disdain for predjudiced behaviour.

You're right, I haven't experienced racism. Like it isn't a black person's fault that they are abused, it isn't my fault that I haven't been - it doesn't mean I can't empathise/try to understand and amend the situation in what little way I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    why should they get extra help?
    To redress the imbalance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    What a ****.
    Well, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    That's not really true. There are so many careers fairs for black and minority groups - why should they get extra help?
    it's sad that it's been so long and they're still being discriminated against, even in like small ways. the plane needs to be levelled before they are treated equally(financially, with career fairs, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I was saying I haven't encountered a situation where people's ethnic backgrounds can't be discussed without someone implying racism. In my experience most people are sensible about it.
    amen, piginapoke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    To redress the imbalance.
    But getting extra help just causes things to shift - but remain imbalanced.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear wot have i done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    But getting extra help just causes things to shift - but remain imbalanced.
    Erm, they are shifting away from an imbalanced position towards a balanced one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Erm, they are shifting away from an imbalanced position towards a balanced one...
    Took words from mouth etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    it's sad that it's been so long and they're still being discriminated against, even in like small ways. the plane needs to be levelled before they are treated equally(financially, with career fairs, etc)
    I agree that discrimination is bad and don't agree with racism or any other 'ism' for that matter... But why can't things just be even? Why does it have to go the other way, because that's just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    What? This doesn't change the fact that it is rare to see a professional black person.

All they want is equality, which they're not getting at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    What? This doesn't change the fact that it is rare to see a professional black person.

All they want is equality, which they're not getting at the moment.
    It's also rare to see a proffessional young blonde female but I'm not getting any extra help! Equality would be great. (Sorry if I'm winding you up btw )

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.