Turn on thread page Beta

its not fair watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I think PC is a barrier to understahding and acceptance in many ways. Obviously I recognise the necessity for disdain for predjudiced behaviour.

You're right, I haven't experienced racism. Like it isn't a black person's fault that they are abused, it isn't my fault that I haven't been - it doesn't mean I can't empathise/try to understand and amend the situation in what little way I can.
    It means it is harder for you to understand why PC is sometimes necessary to prevent (mainly unintended) offense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It's also rare to see a proffessional young blonde female but I'm not getting any extra help!
    I would contend that, but it still falls under an equality issue (supported by Feminism).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It's also rare to see a proffessional young blonde female but I'm not getting any extra help!
    Erm, I think you'll find they are a lot more common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So to use the example being discussed yesterday, do you think its Ok for people to have to take down their English flags because Muslims find it offensive?
    Why are they being flown? Why do they find them offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I would contend that, but it still falls under an equality issue (supported by Feminism).
    I hate feminism though, I don't think it's time for women to go to work instead of men. Because that wouldn't be equal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Why are they being flown?
    Why shouldn't we have pride in our country's history/heritage?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get upset when I see the moon/star on the top of a mosque.

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprising really as the combined total of 'ethnic minorities' is only about 3% of the population.
    Does that include British black people? I think not...

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprising really as the combined total of 'ethnic minorities' is only about 3% of the population.
    Precisely!

ReputationRep:
    Come on then, what percentage of people living in Britain are black?
    I have no idea. But I'm damn sure it'd be more than 3%.

ReputationRep:
    Why not fly the flag of your own country? Apparently its something to do with the cross being an emblem of the crusades.
    What I mean is, if for example, they were being flown after racist attacks in the area and this was their way of trying to demonstrate that Britain was all about 'the cross' and that this was their way of trying to make the Muslim community feel that they had no place in the country, then yes I can understand why they might find it offensive. Not knowing anything about the context of the flag-flying, I can't really comment.

ReputationRep:
    Eighty-seven per cent of the population of England and 96 per cent of the population of Wales gave their ethnic origin as White British.

I googled the UK census 2001.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    What I mean is, if for example, they were being flown after racist attacks in the area and this was their way of trying to demonstrate that Britain was all about 'the cross' and that this was their way of trying to make the Muslim community feel that they had no place in the country, then yes I can understand why they might find it offensive. Not knowing anything about the context of the flag-flying, I can't really comment.
    Britain is about the cross though. Are we supposed to deny that?

Eighty-seven per cent of the population of England and 96 per cent of the population of Wales gave their ethnic origin as White British.

I googled the UK census 2001.
    i think you should take a trip to london,

ReputationRep:
    Comparisons with the 1991 Census show:

The proportion of minority ethnic groups in England rose from six per cent to nine per cent - partly as a result of the addition of Mixed ethnic groups in 2001.

There we are then. 9% .

The proportion of minority ethnic groups in England rose from six per cent to nine per cent - partly as a result of the addition of Mixed ethnic groups in 2001.

There we are then. 9% .
    add to that the immigration

ReputationRep:
    seems more than that wherever i go, mayb i just go to the wrong places (ie big cities :s)

xxx

ReputationRep:
    So then, on average the total number of ethnic minorities in any workplace should be about 9%. Presumably some of these are black. Sounds about right. So then why should we be expecting to see hoardes of black professionals?
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    England and Wales has a 91.3% white population according to the latest census.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2756041.stm

That suprised me actually, puts the screams out outrage from those who 'don't like walking around and not seeing a white face' in perspective I suppose.

ReputationRep:

There we are then. 9% .
    How???!!?

The population of England is much greater than Wales!

Simple maths.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.