Turn on thread page Beta

its not fair watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Britain is about the cross though. Are we supposed to deny that?
    'Britain' is about whatever the hell you want it to be about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So then, on average the total number of ethnic minorities in any workplace should be about 9%. Presumably some of these are black. Sounds about right. So then why should we be expecting to see hoardes of black professionals?
    I think it's pretty safe to say that less than 2.2% of 'professionals' are actually black though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So then, on average the total number of ethnic minorities in any workplace should be about 9%. Presumably some of these are black. Sounds about right. So then why should we be expecting to see hoardes of black professionals?

Not hordes. But 1 in 10 would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    'Britain' is about whatever the hell you want it to be about.
    So, all the history and wars and culture....... doesn't count for anything? I'm sorry but you can't change that, Britain IS about that - you have no choice but to accept it because it's fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    So, all the history and wars and culture....... doesn't count for anything? I'm sorry but you can't change that, Britain IS about that - you have no choice but to accept it because it's fact.
    If it counts for you fair enough, as long as you accept that it is equally true that for someone else who is just as 'British' as you it doesn't count for diddly squat. Your 'nationality' can be about whatever you want it to be about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Not hordes. But 1 in 10 would be nice.
    The fact is that you notice things that are different. If you see a crowd of whites, then you will hardly notice, but if there are a few black or asian people in that crowd they will stand out. If one in 10 people in that crowd were from an ethnic minority then you would notice those people and it would seem like a horde. This effect is increased by segrigation, especialy optional segrigation where those of a certain race stick together to avoid persicution. This means you will encounter larger groups of people of that race at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    If it counts for you fair enough, as long as you accept that it is equally true that for someone else who is just as 'British' as you it doesn't count for diddly squat. Your 'nationality' can be about whatever you want it to be about.
    So peoples ancestors dying for this country means nothing to this country? How can this be? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ethnic minority people have loweremployment rates than White people,
    and women from ethnic minorities have lower employment rates thantheir male counterparts. In 1998, the employment rate for women and men of working age ranged from 21 and 53 per cent for Pakistani/Bangladeshis to 64 per cent for Black Caribbean women
    and 74 per cent for Indian men. Unemployment rates for ethnic minority
    women and men were higher than those for the White population. The
    rates for Pakistani/Bangladeshi women and men were particularly high at 23 and 21 per cent, compared with the Indian population with rates of 9 per cent for both women and men. This also illustrates the wide variation
    between ethnic minority groups.

The unemployment rate for young people from ethnic minorities was,on average, twice as high as that for Whites. However, higher percentages
    of young ethnic minority women and men aged between 16 to 24 were
    engaged in full-time education than their White counterparts. This was the biggest factor explaining their lower economic activity rate7.

http://www.eoc.org.uk/cseng/research...our_market.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    bad rep comin my way but... racism

y do coloured/black (i dont no wot to call them) and other people from other eithnic origins take great offence ay the smallest things.

its just inspired me to start this as theres an indian in the room with me now. a lad came in and said "hey, im doin this geog thing, i need ya help its about where u come from, dont no oat about india! never wana go either". the indian boys mate went ape sayin hes bein racist. he wudnt harm a fly let alone be racist!!!

and y is it coloured people can ban whites form clubs and nothin is said but a white who tells a coloured person they cant go into a club they get the poop kicked out of em?!

its an unfair world. and no, i am not racist. if anythin the complete opposite
    The world is PC mad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    So peoples ancestors dying for this country means nothing to this country? How can this be? :confused:
    'This country' is a strip of land. I wouldn't suggest for a second that you deserve criticism for thinking people dying for their country means something to YOU. I'm merely saying that the same rule, that nationality is whatever YOU make it for yourself applies to everyone else to.

ReputationRep:
    TABLE 1.6: Unemployment Rates by Ethnic Group -
    North East and Great Britain, 1991 Census
    Ethnic Group North East Great Britain
    White 12.3 8.7
    Ethnic minority 17.5 18.4
    Ethnic Total 100 100
    Black - Groups 27.8 21.1
    Indian 10.1 13.1
    Pakistani 28.6 29.3
    Bangladeshi 26.7 31.8
    Chinese 7.9 9.6
    Other - Asian 8.1 13.4
    Other - other 22.6 17.7
    Total 12.4 9.2
    Source : ONS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I don't much like blind patriotism. You could say that no-one is truly Brittish, but I think its dangerous to simply say that you have to do something just because of the place you were born. I like the sense of identity it gives you, but not the obligations you feel. If you moved to a different country, you would defend Britain against people who diss it, but after several years, wouldn't you like to join their society as a full citizen, complete with the sense of identity you get from them?

ReputationRep:
    'This country' is a strip of land. I wouldn't suggest for a second that you deserve criticism for thinking people dying for their country means something to YOU. I'm merely saying that the same rule, that nationality is whatever YOU make it for yourself applies to everyone else to.
    I never said it meant anything to me. I said it means something to the country itself and shouldn't be denied. Nationality is obviously about different things to different people. Just hate the way people brush over the history and culture as if it means nothing. I'm not implying that anyone who lives here must think one thing or another. Doesn't seem to be much respect for Britain that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I never said it meant anything to me. I said it means something to the country itself and shouldn't be denied. Nationality is obviously about different things to different people. Just hate the way people brush over the history and culture as if it means nothing. I'm not implying that anyone who lives here must think one thing or another. Doesn't seem to be much respect for Britain that's all.
    - I'm not saying that this is any more important than any other views. But back to the whole equality thing, it should be respected the same as any other views.

ReputationRep:
    Discrimination is the inevitable consequence of individuality. Political Correctness does not eliminate discrimination, but merely replaces some discriminations with a newer, more pallatable form.

ReputationRep:
    i got called a 'white paki' today... not sure what that was all about... Why can't people just accept each other's differences, they're part of what gives us our identity, and 'if everyone looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other'. The poems at GCSE are actually quite good at getting you to understand how people feel; like when their parents are from another country but they live in another place and are struggling to find out who they are and who to act, but it's part of them, their identity - both cultures... (sorry for goign completely off topic...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    Discrimination is the inevitable consequence of individuality. Political Correctness does not eliminate discrimination, but merely replaces some discriminations with a newer, more pallatable form.
    I think that PC is just a way to make people feel bad about being different.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.