Turn on thread page Beta

government work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hmmm since they have announced to expand the security services by about 5,000 jobs to handle counter-terrorism anyone interested in joining MI5/MI6

just had a look at this http://www.mi5careers.info/docs/home.asp

quite informal and useful, anyone know about a career in the security services etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    hmmm since they have announced to expand the security services by about 5,000 jobs to handle counter-terrorism anyone interested in joining MI5/MI6

quite informal and useful, anyone know about a career in the security services etc?
    I won't be joining MI5/MI6 or GCHQ for the simple reason that I'm not British.

As for the work, well, depends what you're looking for and what qualifications you've got. If you're an IT expert with good credentials, you'll be almost certain to get a job there. But they also need translastors (mostly Arab/Middle Eastern languages) and also general skills which many graduates will have. They will need science as well as arts graduates so I definitely think this is a good opportunity to find a job. Good luck to you if you're going for it. Don't expect anything too exciting though, they are government agencies so most of it will be paper-pushing, instead of having a martiny (stirred, not shaken!) with a gorgeous lady!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    I won't be joining MI5/MI6 or GCHQ for the simple reason that I'm not British.

As for the work, well, depends what you're looking for and what qualifications you've got. If you're an IT expert with good credentials, you'll be almost certain to get a job there. But they also need translastors (mostly Arab/Middle Eastern languages) and also general skills which many graduates will have. They will need science as well as arts graduates so I definitely think this is a good opportunity to find a job. Good luck to you if you're going for it. Don't expect anything too exciting though, they are government agencies so most of it will be paper-pushing, instead of having a martiny (stirred, not shaken!) with a gorgeous lady!
    yeah, lol its not exactly james bond. isnt it highly sought after? dont they have thousans applying or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    yeah, lol its not exactly james bond. isnt it highly sought after? dont they have thousans applying or something?
    I don't know, but I would imagine that these jobs are quite popular. I didn't look at your profile before posting my last reply, so I thought you have a degree and were thinking about working for them!

ReputationRep:
    hi all, i'm thinking ofworking in MI6 when i get the chance, but i can't find any official MI6 website or anything, its always james bond, i want to do the sort of spying stuff, not the office jobs, if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it, Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sameth)
    hi all, i'm thinking ofworking in MI6 when i get the chance, but i can't find any official MI6 website or anything, its always james bond, i want to do the sort of spying stuff, not the office jobs, if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it, Thx
    You can apply through the fast stream to the SIS (Secret Intelligence Service) after you have graduated - needing a 2:2 as minimum (I think) -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)

Until very recently, in order to work for the secret service, you, your spouse and your parents not only had to be UK citizens for the whole of your lives, but had to have been born in the UK as well.

ReputationRep:
    hey corey man, whats a fast stream thing you mentioned and whats a 2:2??

ReputationRep:
    any-one watch the series 24 jack bauer's job if it does exist? would be quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK the best way to get into MI6 is to join the Army or the SAS or some other special forces and if you are good they will find you. MI6 is the more dodgy one with being in a foreign country though. MI5 is just counterterrorism in this country. Worth noting that for MI5 you must come from one of only a few universities and also released recently on a graduate recruitment website was that you mest be less than 5'11" to blend in which i would guess excludes a lot of people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alastair)
    AFAIK the best way to get into MI6 is to join the Army or the SAS or some other special forces and if you are good they will find you. MI6 is the more dodgy one with being in a foreign country though. MI5 is just counterterrorism in this country. Worth noting that for MI5 you must come from one of only a few universities and also released recently on a graduate recruitment website was that you mest be less than 5'11" to blend in which i would guess excludes a lot of people!
    do you mean any sort of armed forces like the royal air force or navy would that be suitable. You get trades in the RAf like intelligence officer and stuff like that so i guess that would be suitable for stuff like this

ReputationRep:
    I think probably Army or Navy (SBS or Marines) would be best since the RAF dont exactly do much combat training!

ReputationRep:
    The GCHQ is a branch of MI5 and I want to work for the GCHQ or something similar as a Cryptographer, I'll be getting a Maths PhD before though.

I'd love to work as a mathematician for the army too.

(Original post by md103)
    any-one watch the series 24 jack bauer's job if it does exist? would be quite interesting.
    this thread is over 1 year old. now go somewhere else, n00b

ReputationRep:
    GCHQ is not a branch of MI5, GCHQ & the SIS (MI6) are the responsibility of the Foreign Secretary, MI5 is the responsibility of the Home Secretary.

Anyone interested in a career with MI6 should send their CV to P.O. Box 1300, London, SE1 1BD – but, they stress that “Because of the nature of the work, potential candidates should not divulge to others their application to SIS. Failure to observe the confidentiality of an application may affect eligibility for employment.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alastair)
    no thats not true. Perhaps in the old days, but dont forget many of the upper class went to oxbridge and then into the military and subsequently got into MI6. It is more russel group grads that get into MI6 and Mi5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    GCHQ is not a branch of MI5, GCHQ & the SIS (MI6) are the responsibility of the Foreign Secretary, MI5 is the responsibility of the Home Secretary.

Anyone interested in a career with MI6 should send their CV to P.O. Box 1300, London, SE1 1BD – but, they stress that “Because of the nature of the work, potential candidates should not divulge to others their application to SIS. Failure to observe the confidentiality of an application may affect eligibility for employment.”
    Basically all of these idiots who have posted on here saying they want a job there would not get in anyway

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.