Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went into a small grotty shop near where I was working to get a bottle of coke and he wanted 95p for it!! I told him it was too much he said he would do it for 90 but I said that was still too much.

I went to the post office two doors down and the same thing was 75p.

Now in the city centre 95p is not too bad, it is still expensive but you some times are prepaired to pay on a hot summers day.

So do people actualy just pay the price or do other people walk out of shops as well?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm used to paying about £1.30 for a bottle of coke in WHSmiths in Central London, so 95p sounds like a bargain to me! lol

ReputationRep:
    Even in central London I don't pay that, I am ususaly a cheap stake and walk down to Edgeware Road, there are a lot of cheap shops down there

I would never pay more than 90p unless I was really really thirsty.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I once bought a bottle that said "77p" on the label (like actually printed on in the pattern), and they charged me 90p for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I once bought a bottle that said "77p" on the label (like actually printed on in the pattern), and they charged me 90p for it!
    If they ever try that on me I ever threaten to report them or just walk out.

Consumers determine the market, if we don't pay it they will have to put their prices down.

This is one thing that Dixons seems to have finally learnt.

ReputationRep:
    :wtf?: never more than 75p for me

I had exactly this problem the other day. £1 for a bottle of Lucozade, where two minutes' walk away it'd be 65p.

I'd have been less pissed off if this wasn't the college canteen.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the location, if it's a hotspot location or if people are in a rush people are practically price-blind. Down the street from my school there are two general stores, and the closest one gets away with charging extortionate prices simply because nobody can be bothered to walk down the road and buy from the other shop. Fair enough in my opinion, I usually just pay up.

You say consumers determine the market, but if enough people are willing to pay the price they'll keep it up there, even if a minority aren't

(Original post by Athena)
    This is why I go to Loafers. Best sandwich and snack shop in the Midland's, with the advantage of having been modelled on Hero's in Oxford's covered market. What could be better?
    Hmm. My college canteen is covered, in that it's set in three old portakabins no longer deemed acceptable to teach General Studies in. The snacks are crisps, cookies and chocolate each at double their normal retail price. The sandwiches use the ingredients that Subway didn't touch, and cost £1.80, served for your delectation by 100% authentic Northern lasses, with the expected standards of class.

Shall we go to Loafers, darling?

ReputationRep:
    All I’m concerned about is the use by date :eek: some items are overpriced and off :mad: still I don’t like paying too much, though I only buy water which is 50p where I live, so I can’t complain. And near my uni the slightly bigger bottle of Evian is 65p or a bit more.

I was once in a shop and asked how much something was ( I think it was crisps or a sweet…something ) and was only half listening when he said £3 - I was like “WHAT!!!! I don’t want it” but he said “no no, everything together will equal £3”

ReputationRep:
    How did I know 5 would start complaining about the college canteen.

Imagine how much Ill be paying next year when the new canteen is opened?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand the location thing, on a hot summers day on Oxford Street I probably would pay £1.50 if I was thirsty enough, but a little road in Chorlton *** Hardy with three shops on it who would be desperate enough to pay that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I can understand the location thing, on a hot summers day on Oxford Street I probably would pay £1.50 if I was thirsty enough, but a little road in Chorlton *** Hardy with three shops on it who would be desperate enough to pay that?
    You answered your own question there: where there isn't much competition they can charge what they like. Not many people would walk out for the sake of saving 20p...

... but then, not many people are quite like AT :p:

ReputationRep:
    i've had to pay £2 for a bottle of coke, but that was on a train!!

ReputationRep:
    I pay what they charge, call me lazy, but i cant be ****ed to walk and wait longer to save 20p for a drink.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me when they charge 80p+ for a bottle of water.

ReputationRep:
    i love home bargains :love: in tehre a bottle of coke would be nearer 30p

ReputationRep:
    meh id walk to the next shop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button16)
    It annoys me when they charge 80p+ for a bottle of water.
    90p in college, or 50p in the shop 2 minutes from college

ReputationRep:
    I agree AT82. I get a bit annoyed when it comes to being ripped off. There is a corner shop next door to my school that charges 90p for bottled water, just taking advantage of students who would rather pay over double the price than going to tesco which is about 50 metres up the road.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is that at uni, most people who are "poor students" wouldn't be poor if they knew how to manage money and weren't so wasteful. They would rather pay £3 for a sandwich every day than spend two minutes making one before they leave, and there are many other examples. Imagine it. If you spend £3 on a sandwich every day, and £1 on a drink, for just 250 days of the year, that is £1000 which could have been better spent. Throw in all the other areas where you could have saved money, and that uni debt maybe wouldnt exist.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.