Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Snape Still A Good Guy??! watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: IS SNAPE STILL A GOOD GUY?!
    Yes
    60.10%
    No
    20.21%
    Not sure
    19.69%

ReputationRep:
    well, a lot of readers think so and a lot don't. This had been discussed before with a small group of ppl and i'd like to c wot u think. Just vote and thats it! (unless u wanna say something of course)

ReputationRep:
    yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    yes!
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I think he is a coward. He only killed Dumbledore to save his own life (Unbreakable VOw would have meant he would have died if he didn't kill Dumbledore).

ReputationRep:
    i'm unsure.

ReputationRep:
    Snape is definitely still good

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so as well, but sometimes I think JK wrote the clues like that to give us false hope :confused:

ReputationRep:
    When Snape kills Dumbledore, doesn't Dumbledore say something along the lines of "Please, Severus"? Or something. I don't see Dumbledore as the type to beg for his life, really. I think Dumbledore had a plan that entailed him having to be killed... by Snape.

ReputationRep:
    yes, that is exactly what i'm thinking as well and it seems likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    When Snape kills Dumbledore, doesn't Dumbledore say something along the lines of "Please, Severus"? Or something. I don't see Dumbledore as the type to beg for his life, really. I think Dumbledore had a plan that entailed him having to be killed... by Snape.
    methinks so too. snape is most certainly not bad otherwise dumbledore wouldn't trust him in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    well, i wouldn't say that, afterall, DD makes mistakes as he admits it himself...i think we can only judge Snape from his actions rather than from DD's trust....

No one's completely good <INSERT A LOAD OF PHILOSOPHICAL BLASPHEMY HERE>

So therefore your statement is rendered nearly void.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    No one's completely good <INSERT A LOAD OF PHILOSOPHICAL BLASPHEMY HERE>

So therefore your statement is rendered nearly void.
    If you're talking about the characters in the book then I don't agree with you unless you quote from the text and give your reasons and let all of us to see if you're right.

btw, when i said whether Snape is still a good guy, I guess people would understand what i meant, but perhaps i should be more precise: Whether he is still on the Order of Phoenix's and Harry's side (the good side) and not on Voldemort's side (the bad side). You said no one is completely good, did you mean no one is completely on one side or the other??? or are you just saying, in general, no one in the world is purely good-hearted, hence 'philosophical blasphemy'?

sorry if you misunderstood the statement at first:p:

ReputationRep:
    You know, I've changed my mind several times on this.
    When we first meet him, he gives the impression of being a bad guy. Then we find out he's not. Book 2: Some of the characters still think he's bad. But he's not (correct if I'm wrong, I'm basing this on what I remember)
    It's the same with all the books. He seems bad, but we know he's good because he's supposed to be spying for Dumbledore.
    Throughout the entire series he switches from one side to the other in the character's minds.

Good...Bad. Good... bad.
    Then he goes and kills Dumbledore.
    That just made me want to throttle Rowling.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND WOMAN!!! *pants*
    ...I'm done.

IMO, he's misunderstood, but no matter what conclusions we're going to come to, we aren't going to find out until the next book.

ReputationRep:
    Really not sure..although I'm happy to hate him.

ReputationRep:
    he killed Dumbledore, he betrayed him! he's gone with voldemort=bad

ReputationRep:
    nah..only because he'll die if he didn't....all people formerly from slytherin only save their own necks...

ReputationRep:
    I try to believe in the best of people. It'd either give me a longer life span, or I'll have a stab in the back.

Snape has no real motive to kill Dumbledore, other than he swore an unbreakable vow to Narcissa. Dumbledore probably knows about this and has twisted fate in such a way that it'd be a positive thing to the light side. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSandwichMan)
    I think he is a coward. He only killed Dumbledore to save his own life (Unbreakable VOw would have meant he would have died if he didn't kill Dumbledore).
    Not really- if he didn't kill dumbledore, someone else would have done- harry would have been at the risk of being discovered and snape would also die- therefore no good could be accomplished as dumbledore was going to die anyways. imo it was the safest option availabe to snape at that time- feel free to disagreeb

ReputationRep:
    Snape is definitely bad now, everyone is just hoping against hope that he is still good and it's all part of some elaborate scheme, hell I wish Snape was still good, he was one of my favourite characters, but alas he is part of the dark side now.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.