The Student Room Group

Trinity College Dublin?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ApeXaviour
I hope you choose and are successful in coming to trinity, and that you then enjoy your time here and make plenty of friends. I love it here, I love my subject and I love the friends I've made. It can be a great place if you're willing to explore its possibilities.

Thanks! You make it sound really cool. I would really like to go, the other places I applying are the London colleges, and trinity sounds more fun and studenty with a campus (even if most people dont get to actually live on it)... I really hope I get in, but postgrad applications seem so much more uncertain and difficult to judge!
Reply 21
I know a few people who have gone to Trinity and everyone seems to really like it which is quite rare for a uni. I think it's one of those unis that's so diverse that you'll fine something you really like about it whatever type of person you are. I think Trinity has one of the best systems for accepting people as well...Instead of relying on predictions, they make their offers right after A levels, based on your actual results n personal statement etc.
Reply 22
Getting ahead of myself here, but if I got in would it be better to live in the off campus student accomadation block or rent on my own?
Reply 23
Wonder how they judge postgrad students...
pendragon
Getting ahead of myself here, but if I got in would it be better to live in the off campus student accomadation block or rent on my own?
Apply for on campus firstly. They're competitive but if you get it, it's worth it. Halls are a definite bus journey away (~10 mins). Anyone I know who has stayed there has loved it and they are great digs (modern, private and ensuite etc) though there will tend to be a lot of younger undergrads there. While getting a flat in the city centre can be a bit of touch and go, if you're willing to put in the effort you can definitely get better value than halls and a lot closer. Talk to other people looking for acommodation if this is the route you decide to go. They'll advice you of areas to avoid, websites to look at and the rest.
from http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/HowtoApply/

Postgraduate

Postgraduate accommodation is available at Trinity Hall for both academic year and calendar year occupancy. A limited number of single rooms for postgraduate students is available in College. Continuing postgraduate students may apply for accommodation for a four week period commencing in early February as per the College Calendar. New postgraduates should apply as soon as they have been accepted by College. Priority is given to those students registered for higher degrees by research only.
Reply 26
Kittennffc
Is TCD the place where you aren't meant to walk under the bell tower as its supposed to be cursed? I might be totally wrong though...

I don't think so...
Isn't that Birmingham where if you walk under it at a certain time then you're supposed to fail your degree??:confused:
I know that there's an arch in Seville where if you walk under it you'll never get married:biggrin:
Reply 27
I notice the agreement for accomodation includes all this crap about having to register 'overnight guests', having to get permission and not having them too often. Is this like at my college where if it is another student (who is your gf/bf) then in practice nobody bothers about it. I was practically living in my gf's uni room in my final year, do they really do anything to stop that kind of thing?
pendragon
I notice the agreement for accomodation includes all this crap about having to register 'overnight guests', having to get permission and not having them too often. Is this like at my college where if it is another student (who is your gf/bf) then in practice nobody bothers about it. I was practically living in my gf's uni room in my final year, do they really do anything to stop that kind of thing?

Yeah pretty much. They just don't want people living there rent free and hence the rules, on the offchance that somebody tries that. I've never heard of it being enforced to any extent.
Original post by Pentatonic
I must admit that I've never heard anyone call TCD posh. A good few of my friends go there. It's by far the leading university in Ireland, but still a long way off Oxbridge standards. It's right at the heart of city centre and you'll always find a local drug seller at the front gates.

It's a long way off in rankings due to lack of funding (and these are predominantly based on citations anyway), but honestly, the student experience is better at Trinity due to the central campus, society life, T-ball, etc. And EVERYONE I've ever spoken to about TCD would consider it posh. Maybe the people you're speaking to don't know much about it? Haha
(Original post by Pentatonic)I must admit that I've never heard anyone call TCD posh. A good few of my friends go there. It's by far the leading university in Ireland, but still a long way off Oxbridge standards. It's right at the heart of city centre and you'll always find a local drug seller at the front gates.
It's a long way off in rankings due to lack of funding (and these are predominantly based on citations anyway), but honestly, the student experience is better at Trinity due to the central campus, society life, T-ball, etc. And EVERYONE I've ever spoken to about TCD would consider it posh. Maybe the people you're speaking to don't know much about it? Haha

Original post by paddy
I don't think so...
Isn't that Birmingham where if you walk under it at a certain time then you're supposed to fail your degree??:confused:
I know that there's an arch in Seville where if you walk under it you'll never get married:biggrin:

No, the cursed bell tower (campanile) is definitely Trinity's one. Trust me. I did my undergrad there, and no way in hell was I walking under that until I had graduated!
Original post by Pentatonic
I must admit that I've never heard anyone call TCD posh. A good few of my friends go there. It's by far the leading university in Ireland, but still a long way off Oxbridge standards. It's right at the heart of city centre and you'll always find a local drug seller at the front gates.

Original post by Kittennffc
Is TCD the place where you aren't meant to walk under the bell tower as its supposed to be cursed? I might be totally wrong though...

No, the cursed bell tower (campanile) is definitely Trinity's one. Trust me. I did my undergrad there, and no way in hell was I walking under that until I had graduated!
Original post by dreambrook
Trinity is a very good school and has high standards of education. It's atmosphere is somewhat a kin to Oxbridge but not quite there. The city is nice enough and no more expensive to live in than England, but the Euro is worth less than sterling so when you see the numerical figure it might seem more. I know nothing about the bell tower thing though...

Having attended both Oxford and Trinity, I must say that the atmosphere is much better at Trinity. Can't speak to Cambridge though

Quick Reply

Latest