Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

One China? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Time to sort out this idiotic problem which has been going on for far too long. The solution is this:

The Chinese government either attempts to ensure a victory for the opposition party in Taiwan (who are now willing to negotiate with the Chinese government) in the next elections through bribes and connections or, if this is not possible (as it probably isn't), just hopes that the opposition party win (if not this time then sometime in the future).

Then the government lays out a deal with these terms - One China, and they put it to the vote as to who is in charge of this One China (a one-time vote with everyone in China and Taiwan included in the electorate) - the Communist Party of China or the Guomindang in Taiwan. The Communist Party has overwhelming support within China, enough to outnumber the opposition in Taiwan, and will win. Not only does this appease everyone, both within and without China, that China is willing to liberalise politically and listen to the people (despite the fact that it is clearly a superficial move as they will be certain of the outcome beforehand), but also it means they keep Taiwan fair and square. Sorted. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Allowing a free and fair vote in all of China would set a bad precedent from the ppv of the Chinese Communist Party. You also falsely assume that the opposition in Taiwan is really willing to change the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how they handled it. It would be a monumentous occasion, and the Chinese people would be told how lucky they were to be given this opportunity etc. etc. From the point of view of the CCP, they are assured of victory, so their apparent risk taking is simply superficial.

The opposition in Taiwan already believes in One China, the disagreement arises because the Guomindang and the CCP each think they are in charge of this One China. If they put forward the deal, the Guomindang would soon realise this is the only fair way of settling the problem which doesn't involve the use of force - and surely a party which has operated within a democratic framework for a while now, will be willing to subject themselves once again to a democratic vote to settle the question of who should rightfully be in charge of the new One China?

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that China's policy is coloured by the desire to hold onto Tibet, Xingjiang and Inner Mongolia, all of which have separatist proclivties, meaning the CCP has to be seen to be acting suitably uncompromising with Taiwan. And the fact that the bitterness of the civil war still clouds both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Don't forget that China's policy is coloured by the desire to hold onto Tibet, Xingjiang and Inner Mongolia, all of which have separatist proclivties, meaning the CCP has to be seen to be acting suitably uncompromising with Taiwan. And the fact that the bitterness of the civil war still clouds both sides.
    Well I guess you raise a fair point talking about the other areas they need to keep hold of, but Taiwan is really the hardest of the lot to keep hold of. I think the risk would pay off.

As for the bitterness of the civil war, the older generation have mostly died off and the new generation are fairly willing to negotiate terms. Also many members in both the CCP and the KMT are related - brothers, uncles etc. etc. which they haven't forgotten. Either way this is the only peaceful way I can see to resolve the situation of who is in charge of One China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Well I guess you raise a fair point talking about the other areas they need to keep hold of
    Ideologically, maybe; ethnically, not at all. And remember, the ideological zeitgeist can change, ethnicities never do. Although they can be destroyed or (as the Chinese are attempting) watered down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Ideologically, maybe; ethnically, not at all. And remember, the ideological zeitgeist can change, ethnicities never do. Although they can be destroyed or (as the Chinese are attempting) watered down.
    Wait sorry which bit were you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Wait sorry which bit were you referring to?
    I'm saying that unlike the aforesaid provinces, Taiwan has little to ethnically distinguish itself from China; apart from the aborigine population who are very much under the thumb of the ethnic Chinese. Therefore the issue of reintegration with China for Taiwan is one of ideology, whilst the issue of separatism for the other areas is ethnic.

ReputationRep:
    You got a good point, Ace..

Problem now, like Ferrus said, the civil war was a defeat the Chinese republicans, ie, the Taiwanese people, will not easily forget. Hans were especially well known for their pride.. Youngsters in Taiwan have been very eager to reunite with mainland China, but because of this, they are blamed for being un-patriotic.

And, talking about pride, the communists would never allow a vote in China, even if it means they will win. Both of them are just trying to save their faces, which i agree, is simply idiotic.

By the way, did you hear about the two pandas given to Taiwan by China? It's the most ridiculous thing i ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp999)
    You got a good point, Ace..

Problem now, like Ferrus said, the civil war was a defeat the Chinese republicans, ie, the Taiwanese people, will not easily forget. Hans were especially well known for their pride.. Youngsters in Taiwan have been very eager to reunite with mainland China, but because of this, they are blamed for being un-patriotic.
    Precisely - as time goes on, these wounds will heal. If not now, sometime in the future, I'm certain a deal could be worked out if only they would swallow their pride.

(Original post by lp999)
    And, talking about pride, the communists would never allow a vote in China, even if it means they will win. Both of them are just trying to save their faces, which i agree, is simply idiotic.
    Good point, but seeing as they allow (arguably superficial) voting to happen on a village level, they should really just take the plunge and go for it. Since they introduced low-level voting there hasn't been huge turmoil or large-scale demands for more - I think the people are in a position where they're pretty much grateful for whatever they get. The Chinese people also seem to have great faith in the Communist Party, who appear to be doing a rather good job at running the country (1.3 billion people!) and making the urban dwellers rich.

(Original post by lp999)
    By the way, did you hear about the two pandas given to Taiwan by China? It's the most ridiculous thing i ever heard.
    Hahahaha no but that's funny.

ReputationRep:
    funny and ridiculous..

have at look at these:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4508873.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4594452.stm

The chinese actually named the two hand-picked pandas "tuantuan" and "yuanyuan". Together "tuanyuan" means reunion, or togetherness, which is pretty stupid if they have thought ROC would accept pandas with such names. On the other hand, Chen, President of Taiwan, was known to be "more comfortable staring down missiles than dealing with acts of kindness". He should know better not to sink as low as to play politics with animals and quibble with China over everything.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.