Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whey protein- Your views watch

ReputationRep:
    Well i've just started my fitness regime to get fit for a Fun Run in late summer. Its started lightly (2 mile runs- 30 mins cycle seesions three time a week). I also want to improve my body physique to get away all that excess flab, which i know will happen by doing cardio exercise and eating healthy food. Anyway, wanted to know whether i should Whey Protein to help reach my goal.

Many thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    whey proteins are good after a workout as it helps your muscles to repair themselves. If you are doing a lot of running there is no great need though. Normally body builders use it cos when they push big weights they actually tear the muscles to make them bigger. Just stick to eating healthy and the gym and you'll be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_pd)
    whey proteins are good after a workout as it helps your muscles to repair themselves. If you are doing a lot of running there is no great need though. Normally body builders use it cos when they push big weights they actually tear the muscles to make them bigger. Just stick to eating healthy and the gym and you'll be sorted.
    why is there no need? it's not just for bodybuilding.

ReputationRep:
    even old grannies take whey protein because it helps with their immune system

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a strict weights routine I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiral Architect)
    Unless you have a strict weights routine I wouldn't bother.
    why? people seem to have this view that it's anabolically steroidal or something.

ReputationRep:
    if your just running and cycling, taking protein will probably have no effect. Most people take protein before/after doing weights, this is because the muscles need protein to repair and build up, and can actually use far more protein than you can realistically get from a normal diet. So if you take protein you know your muscles will rebuild as much as they can, whereas if u dont a lack of protein may slow the build up of muscle tissue.

For aerobic exercise i dont believe there are any specific reasons to take protein, your normal diet should be sufficient. If anything have a snack or energy drink within 30mins off finishing as this replenshes your muscle glycogen stores quickest, meaning you should feel less tired, or something like that anyway. it should also help get rid of fat as you should be less likely to keep on snacking.

If you seriously want to lose a fair amount of fat, try sucking on a lollipop after sessions rather than eating, it gets your blood sugar up again so you dont feel so tired or hungry but they have next to no calories.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    edd 85- Thanks for your advice will take it all into account.

ReputationRep:
    look at you diet, if youre not getting at least 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight you should buy some, if you get what you need from your diet dont bother.

ReputationRep:
    its a supplement. If youre not getting enough protein, then take it. If you are, then don't. running doesnt require large muscles, its cardiovascular, so it will probably not be nessecary.
    (Original post by Bis)
    why is there no need? it's not just for bodybuilding.
    Why does someone who is not aiming to grow muscles, or aiming to do high intinsity weightlifting, need extra protein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd_85)
    If you seriously want to lose a fair amount of fat, try sucking on a lollipop after sessions rather than eating, it gets your blood sugar up again so you dont feel so tired or hungry but they have next to no calories.
    you what!!!

lose a fair amount of fat by sucking on a bloody lollipop?

you will feel more tired, and more hungry by doing that

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't need it for you're training, unless you're trying to manipulate hormones to lose a maximum amount of fat, but that shouldn't be your primary concern if you're training for performance.

If anything, I'd make sure you were eating plenty of carbohydrates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john!!)
    Why does someone who is not aiming to grow muscles, or aiming to do high intinsity weightlifting, need extra protein?

protein isn't just for building big muscles, which few seem to understand. it is a supplement, therefore meaning it is only needed if you don't consume enough already.

ReputationRep:
    It's not normal protein it is Whey. It is used for faster repair times on muscles which have been torn, normal, during a weights/bodybuilding workout.

It is not for running and I'd like you to show me 1 granny who take 'Whey' protein for a healthy immune system.

dont bother with it, unless you dont eat any meat or live at the gym then theirs no point. Can easily result in high albumen which iss baaadd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)

protein isn't just for building big muscles, which few seem to understand. it is a supplement, therefore meaning it is only needed if you don't consume enough already.
    what the ****? I said EXACTLY that in my post, almost word for word,

ReputationRep:
    if you are serious about your training then theres better supplements than whey protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law:portal)
    It's not normal protein it is Whey. It is used for faster repair times on muscles which have been torn, normal, during a weights/bodybuilding workout.

It is not for running and I'd like you to show me 1 granny who take 'Whey' protein for a healthy immune system.
    do you actually have any idea what you are on about? you make it sound like whey is some extreme drug. hate to break it to you, but you probably take it everyday without supplementation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john!!)
    what the ****? I said EXACTLY that in my post, almost word for word,
    yeah, i recall you saying that protein isn't just for weighlifting :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.