The Student Room Group

Why is everyone GUNNING Imperial Applied Business Management???

I have to say that I think people are confusing Applied Business Management at Imperials Wye Campus, to be "Agricultural Management" which is what was taught before. The course is 85% SOLID business management, law, politics, maths and other solid academic modules. The one module that stood out as weird was the "ecology", but apart from that it seems absolutely great.

Also the "small number" can be a good thing, everyone gets to know everyone, you wont be secluded in a massive uni where you only know a handful of people. Is anyone ACTUALLY ON THIS COURSE at imperial? Because there cant be many that have COMPLETED it yet, as it is really a brand new course. As far as people getting in with "CCC/CCD"!??? I have no idea how, perhaps a couple years ago, because my offer is ABB....and I am now quite confused whether to go or not considering the bad response I have seen on the course on this site???....

I have an offer for economics of ABB at SOAS...what would anyone recomend I do? Imperial or SOAS? Please no stupid comments from Oxbridge snobs that say it is ****, because I think you are really sad to say bad things like that about unis because you are in a better situation. Not everyone is predicted AAAA....so please could anyone who has been at these unies help me out please, because I have to reply to the offers very soon!

Imperial - WYE CAMPUS- Applied Business Management - ABB
Soas - Economics - ABB

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP??????

Scroll to see replies

According to the Imperial uni site...its under the "Faculty of Life Sciences"...along with Biology and similar courses...is that correct??
Reply 2
Hmm well I sent them an email just today to ask a few questions about the course that are a bit unclear....one question was what department the course was run under....because their website isnt exactly up to date! So would prefer a proper reply from them, did you study there? Or anything at all?
Reply 3
Have you seen the campus? It's a hole:frown:
Reply 4
900 people doing standard first year on my course and I know loads of them. Dont think numbers really has any large effect on sociability within a course.
Go for Imperial! the simple mentioning of it in your cv would boost your employement prospects.
Reply 6
Do Imperial do Business Management courses for undergrads?
Reply 7
gemgems89
Do Imperial do Business Management courses for undergrads?

Yeeees, but it's at their campus in Kent (see earlier comment on crappiness of said campus).
Reply 8
paddy357
Yeeees, but it's at their campus in Kent (see earlier comment on crappiness of said campus).

Oh, what's it doing in Kent? How strange. I remember going on the Imperial site and all management courses went with a science. :confused:

I shall check again.
I think the degree will say something like Imperial at Wye (or somrhting like that) so the employers will know that it's not the Imperial in London.
Reply 10
paddy357

In addition to that, this year's (2006) entry will be the last year it's under Imperial. Starting from next year the course will be under the University of Kent.
Reply 11
my mum went to the wye campus and did horticulture, she then went on to do her account qualifications afterwards and now has quite a high flying accountancy job so u cant really say just cos its small its bad, in fact she loved it BECAUSE it was small because u got to know most ppl and in her opinion they had a better time than her friends at bigger unis, also the type of ppl that went to that campus then were all like farmers sons doing agriculture and so they were all really nice down to earth ppl, that u r unlikely to find at a bigger uni where u will find a lot of ppl stuck up their own asses.

dont worry im not saying big unis r bad, im going to loughborough, huge number of students there, but smaller campuses may suit certain ppl, best i can say is go and look at it see what u think.
Reply 12
"then were all like farmers sons doing agriculture"

HA ha ha ha.
Oh yeah. My dream friends to hang out with. :p:
Reply 13
e_clark
my mum went to the wye campus and did horticulture, she then went on to do her account qualifications afterwards and now has quite a high flying accountancy job so u cant really say just cos its small its bad, in fact she loved it BECAUSE it was small because u got to know most ppl and in her opinion they had a better time than her friends at bigger unis, also the type of ppl that went to that campus then were all like farmers sons doing agriculture and so they were all really nice down to earth ppl, that u r unlikely to find at a bigger uni where u will find a lot of ppl stuck up their own asses.

dont worry im not saying big unis r bad, im going to loughborough, huge number of students there, but smaller campuses may suit certain ppl, best i can say is go and look at it see what u think.

Oh dear. We're not saying it's rubbish because it's small. We're saying it's rubbish because it's a crappy campus:rolleyes:
And it's also not that good because it won't actually be part of Imperial for much longer.
e_clark

You're going to Loughborough yet you got into Oxford for Economics&Management? Are you mad!? If not Oxford, why not another top management school, loughborough doesn't hold that much rep in the city really
Reply 15
ashley710
You're going to Loughborough yet you got into Oxford for Economics&Management? Are you mad!? If not Oxford, why not another top management school, loughborough doesn't hold that much rep in the city really

i totally agree.

Loughborough sucks big time for management courses compare to oxford,lancaster & even st andrews
Reply 16
boorrrrriinng see threads on this, dont clog up this one...my choice...where ive always wanted to go...end of story
Reply 17
St Andrews is small. The uni is small. Can't see why anyone would go to Loughborough if they had a choice. Not cred. Listen to us not yer mum.
Reply 18
as i have said in my last post if u would like to be bothered getitng involved then read the posts that r relevant to it and dont clog this one up cos i am not going to explain myself again i have no reason to where i want to go to uni is up to me
Reply 19
TheBrightShadow
I think the degree will say something like Imperial at Wye (or somrhting like that) so the employers will know that it's not the Imperial in London.

THAT ISNT TRUE AT ALL...FIRST OF ALL ALL OF IMPERIAL DEGREES SAY "LONDON UNIVERCITY"....this is the reply I got from the man at Imperial, hope it helps a few of the others, because I think that a lot of you lot might actually know the truth, but are just going on "hear say" and "rumours"...so I would make sure you know exactly before you tell others...and also Imperial has about 4 or 5 campus's, so the other campus's are also not in Kensington, they are still part of Imperial. Just like Oxford has lots of little colleges, it is the same sort of thing. My cousin goes to one of those of Oxford, and he has a similarly small campus and about 900 students too, and he is finding it much better because you end up getting to know everyone...

Anyway there was "visit day" for the Wye campus on Tuesday just gone, for those who had offer they would have been invited, but I went on holiday that day so wasnt able to go...here is the reply from the man from Imperial:
The degree is from London University (Imperial College), though Imperial
College has announced that it will be awarding its own degrees in the
future.

"Ecology is not included in your degree. There is a 'green tint' to the
degree since any competent business manager will tell you that the
environment (and law relating to it) is a major issue for business.

The link with Kent University does not affect 2006 entrants. Felix is
notoriously inaccurate.

We help you find an industrial placement but you have to be selected by
the company."

MAJORITY OF THE COURSE IS HARDCORE BUSINESS STUFF...MARKETTING, FINANCE, ACCOUNTING, LAW, POLITICS, ALL IS COVERED...LOOKS LIKE A NICE COURSE TO ME.....will let you all know what the campus is like once I visit it, hopefully some time soon! That will give a better indication.....Safe all....EZ

Latest

Trending

Trending