The Student Room Group

Freshers Boredom

I moved into uni yesterday and while I felt homesick at first, I went out to the club on campus and had a really fun night. Today I've had welcome stuff for my course and I spoke to a couple of people but don't really know anyone on it yet. I've come back and am done for the day. All my flatmates are out at their own induction things and I'm just sitting in my room. I'm starting to feel homesick again but I don't know what else to do.

Is it okay to do stuff in your room during Freshers or is that seen as being completely anti-social?

Also does homesickness get better when you start your course?

And in regards to friends on your course, when do you normally make them, freshers or later on when you've started?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation. Moved in yesterday and went to the club on campus with some guys which was okay. Today had induction stuff for my course and talked to some people but didn't really become friends with them, then just came back and sat in my room.
Reply 2
If you ask me it's totally fine to be anti-social sometimes - I mean, moving out is a big thing, and you need some time to process/get used to that! I've been at uni for just over two weeks now, and things have gotten so much better since my course started. I actually have stuff to do, so I'm a bit more purposeful now and I've met some people on my course & who I'll be with for this semester. I'd say you're more likely to make later on, rather than during freshers. But don't quote me on that :tongue:
Go for a walk around the Uni or around town. Go and do 'touristy' things. Write postcards to old school mates, your Grannie, your ex-teacher.

Once you get into essays deadline you wont feel like doing this stuff so much - so do it now.
Reply 4
Original post by nick369
I'm in the same situation. Moved in yesterday and went to the club on campus with some guys which was okay. Today had induction stuff for my course and talked to some people but didn't really become friends with them, then just came back and sat in my room.

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation. Maybe we're both just being impatient not wanting to wait for relationships to form but it can be disheartening. Most people are probably in the same situation but just not talking about it. Good luck for the next few months especially - I'm sure in a few weeks we'll be wondering what we were complaining about.

Original post by twinlensreflex
If you ask me it's totally fine to be anti-social sometimes - I mean, moving out is a big thing, and you need some time to process/get used to that! I've been at uni for just over two weeks now, and things have gotten so much better since my course started. I actually have stuff to do, so I'm a bit more purposeful now and I've met some people on my course & who I'll be with for this semester. I'd say you're more likely to make later on, rather than during freshers. But don't quote me on that :tongue:

Thanks, that actually made me feel much better. The daytime's the worst cos apart from induction there's absolutely nothing to do. Hopefully the events at night will make up for it. I'm looking forward to lectures and having a routine.

Original post by returnmigrant
Go for a walk around the Uni or around town. Go and do 'touristy' things. Write postcards to old school mates, your Grannie, your ex-teacher.

Once you get into essays deadline you wont feel like doing this stuff so much - so do it now.

Thanks, I might try and do the pre-reading I've been putting off or actually making my room not look like a rubbish tip.
Reply 5
I suggest u take up sports
It is by far the best way to make friends
I too was a bit anti social but after I started playing football I made tons of new friends.
U might think that u dont play that well but that isnt a factor, Anyone will eventually improve with practice.
Reply 6
I am in the same boat, moved in yesterday to an empty flat.(already a loner) Went to my first seminar people seemed to have formed little groups, did make empty conversation but thats all - no friends.
forget about making friends finding my way round town has proven to be difficult got lost dozen times soaked in rain .. couldnt even call a taxi because didn't even know my bloody address.

what do you guys suggest I do to?.. I'm not one to turn up to an event alone.. and I'M definitely not anti-social.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm shy so it's hard for me to make friends. My house is dead compared to everyone else's so half of my roommates go to their room and the other half go out with their friends. I don't know anyone and i'm not into partying, so every night i've just been sat in my room online.
I have no friends, i have my roommates i occaisonally talk to, but most of the time the house is dead and i'm just bored and really lonely.
And really homesick. I'd give anything to go back home.
Reply 8
Original post by JH1993
I moved into uni yesterday and while I felt homesick at first, I went out to the club on campus and had a really fun night. Today I've had welcome stuff for my course and I spoke to a couple of people but don't really know anyone on it yet. I've come back and am done for the day. All my flatmates are out at their own induction things and I'm just sitting in my room. I'm starting to feel homesick again but I don't know what else to do.

Is it okay to do stuff in your room during Freshers or is that seen as being completely anti-social?

Also does homesickness get better when you start your course?

And in regards to friends on your course, when do you normally make them, freshers or later on when you've started?

You shouldnt worry so much about what other people are thinking of you. If you want to sit in your room during freshers, then thats exactly what you should do. From past experiences, I wouldnt recommend going out just because your friends are, you should go out if you want to go out. If people judge you for doing what you want, and not what they want, then they arent worth it!

I felt really homesick on the first week of halls. But this is normal because its such a big change, moving out is the start of the rest of your life! You will soon adjust :smile:

The main event for meeting people on your course would be the course induction or introduction, and remember, everyone else is in the same boat, so dont worry
Reply 9
Original post by Sarah04H
I'm shy so it's hard for me to make friends. My house is dead compared to everyone else's so half of my roommates go to their room and the other half go out with their friends. I don't know anyone and i'm not into partying, so every night i've just been sat in my room online.
I have no friends, i have my roommates i occaisonally talk to, but most of the time the house is dead and i'm just bored and really lonely.
And really homesick. I'd give anything to go back home.
:hugs:
Reply 10
Ive been at uni now for about 10 days, freshers was fun at night but really boring during the day - mostly because i was so hungover. Make friends with your neighbours and get to know the campus, it helps when you know where your lectures are at haha.
Reply 11
Original post by foolscap
:hugs:

Aw, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply