Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am very keen on music and play violin, piano, and guitar. I very much want to continue music into university life, and so it is a big part of my decision between durham and st andrews. from what I can see, st andrews doesnt actually have a music course as such - does this detract from the musical side of things?

i'd like to hear from any musicians currently at st andrews, do you feel there are enough things to take part in etc?
    john

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine plays in the windband and I think there are other orchestral-type things going on too. You can also continue with any music lessons you're getting, through the university. While St Andrews doesn't do a music degree, you can do music modules. Take a look at the interdisciplinary part of the course catalogue (you'll find it in the Studying at St Andrews section of the website).

ReputationRep:
    Here is some information about musical activity at the St. Andrews Music Centre:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/music/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john-boro)
    Hi, I am very keen on music and play violin, piano, and guitar. I very much want to continue music into university life, and so it is a big part of my decision between durham and st andrews. from what I can see, st andrews doesnt actually have a music course as such - does this detract from the musical side of things?

i'd like to hear from any musicians currently at st andrews, do you feel there are enough things to take part in etc?
    john

:love: :love:

how long have you been playing for?

ReputationRep:
    piano for about 11 years, violin a bit less and guitar a bit less again! you?

ReputationRep:
    I am curious about this too. I've been play saxophone and euphonium since I was 10 (that makes... god... 13 years now) and I'd love to find a way to get involved with music again while I'm at St. Andrews. Since I'm at film school right now, we sort of lack anything musical and I've missed it a bunch.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda the other way round - my school has a great music atmosphere going. Recently played the last ever spring concert we'll do so all us year 13s went out for a drink after . I'm worried that going St Andrews might provide less oppurtunity for music than a larger, college based uni such as Durham.
    It's a tough choice.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed on the music page that there are practice rooms with pianos for student use. Does anyone know how easy it is to just randomly show up and use one of these rooms? Do you have to pay a fee of any sort? I'd like to be able to continue practicing piano and keep up with my singing.

ReputationRep:
    The guide on the open day said it was very easy, I think you can book rooms for free.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's a matter of simply walking in and signing your name on a little registry sheet, just so they can hunt you down if the piano gets obliterated during your time spot

As I said, though, very simple to get access to a piano on short notice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the info. That's fantastic. Now I guess I just have to make sure I end up in a room free of self-obliterating pianos.

ReputationRep:
    I've just booked a place on the 26th April Visiting day - assuming there's places left (there should be right?).
    Anyway I'll pay special attention to the music centre and if anyone has any questions, ask when I get back

6 hours on the train! argh
    john

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know about renting instruments?

i've been playing the saxophone for about 8 years, and would love to continue, but i have no idea how i'd be able to get a saxophone across the atlantic. i think i'll have too much luggage to also bring a big saxophone with me :p: , so i hope i can rent one!

ReputationRep:
    Rent/buy one in Edinburgh, it seems to be the easiest way.

ReputationRep:
    A student on the open day said that there are companies nearby in Dundee that pick up stuff during the holidays from St Andrews and will return them to you at the start of the term. I.e. so you don't have to trek it all the time across the atlantic. What you could do is find one in Dundee and ask them to bring the Saxophone if you are going to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishy1121)
    does anyone know about renting instruments?
    I do! I was at the open day in february and got a prospectus for the music centre. I'm not sure if this information is available on the website but in the prospectus it says you can use the music centre's instruments free of charge as long as you are registered, and also subject to availablity. They have 'a wide variety of woodwing, string, brass and percussion instruments'. Registration costs £18.50, bargain!

ReputationRep:
    There are music rooms in halls aswell, like in New Hall, I played the guitar there daily.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 31, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.