The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do :yep:
Reply 2
Yeah, I do that, too.
Reply 3
Tbh it makes more sense to me :dontknow: Your right hand is the 'better' hand so is the one you would want controlling where the food is before you cut it and how it gets to your mouth. The same way a (I assume) right handed person would eat a bag of crisps by using their right hand to put the crisps in their mouth.
Yup, but I'm more ambidextrous than right-handed dominant. I tend to switch which hand I write with but as I write with a fountain pen I usually use my right.

Anyway. Yes, I eat "left-handed" (when with a knife & fork but also with a spoon).
Reply 5
I'm incredibly left handed and due to social pressures from my mum have found myself naturally eating as a right handed person would, so it does work both ways.
Reply 6
Original post by Mess.
Tbh it makes more sense to me :dontknow: Your right hand is the 'better' hand so is the one you would want controlling where the food is before you cut it and how it gets to your mouth. The same way a (I assume) right handed person would eat a bag of crisps by using their right hand to put the crisps in their mouth.

Out of interest, how do you use a saw, left or right handed? Cause the way I see it, you want your right hand to control the cutting/ pushing things onto the fork, but the left you just need to shovel it in =P

My dad does it your way round and it's always confused me :p:
Yep. :yep: Always made more sense to me to do it like that!
Although that does mean my gran can sometimes gets exasperated when I set the table at her house and automatically place the knives and forks on the wrong sides. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Jelephant
Out of interest, how do you use a saw, left or right handed? Cause the way I see it, you want your right hand to control the cutting/ pushing things onto the fork, but the left you just need to shovel it in =P

My dad does it your way round and it's always confused me :p:

I'd saw with my right as I'd want that under full control!!
I'm left handed. But I eat with my fork in my left and knife in my right hand. I use spoons with my left hand. This causes problems when I have a pudding that comes with a fork and spoon and you really need both to eat it without making a mess . . . :moon:
Reply 10
Always used for the same reasons as everyone else, but my primary school was mean and made me switch.
Original post by Mess.

This is how I see it. My right hand is my dominant hand so it would make sense to pick up food with it (I do this for sandwiches and soup, so why not roast chicken? :P)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Clare~Bear
I'm left handed. But I eat with my fork in my left and knife in my right hand. I use spoons with my left hand. This causes problems when I have a pudding that comes with a fork and spoon and you really need both to eat it without making a mess . . . :moon:

That is always a tough one :sad: I normally go with spoon in the right as forks seem pretty superfluous in that situation. Should just be given a knife :colonhash:
Reply 13
Original post by Mess.

don't you think the fork hand has the easier job though? fork just has to pin food down, knife requires the control
Reply 14
Original post by zz_
don't you think the fork hand has the easier job though? fork to pin food down, knife to cut

To me the keeping the food steady whilst being cut and bringing it too my mouth requires more control than a non-lethal ( :p: ) cutting action.
Original post by Mess.
That is always a tough one :sad: I normally go with spoon in the right as forks seem pretty superfluous in that situation. Should just be given a knife :colonhash:

When I was on holiday, I'd sometimes have say cake and fruit for a pudding. I'd steal the starter knife from the extra place (there were 3 of us, but often ended up on a table for four) and eat the cake with the fork, then the fruit with a knive and fork! :ninjagirl:
I eat left handed although I'm a rightie. I think it has more to do with me not holding them fit than having some sort of selective ambidexterousness?
I do this. My mum is left handed so I guess this is where I get it from.
Reply 18
Do you know what I find strange, I write with my right hand but fap with my left hand
I eat left handed and am right handed usually. You're right it's not a big deal at all, it does annoy me when people say it's not the correct, why the **** not.