Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living - The Streets watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This album made me shed a tear...we are never going to get an album as masterful as Original Pirate Material again, Skinner really has lost it.

*sobs*

ReputationRep:
    I think it's worse than AGDCFF too,

however, it's still class.

ReputationRep:
    You think? Personally I think it's a really good album, it's not remotely the same sort of music as Original Pirate Material, but then A Grand Don't Come For Free was nothing like it either.

Edit: What's your favourite track?

ReputationRep:
    Ive liked both his albums so far so i expect i will get this one too.

ReputationRep:
    I found it instantly forgettable...only tracks I half like are 'Two Nations' (lyrically but not musically), 'Hotel Expressionism' and 'Prangin Out' (although he tackled the exact same theme a thousand times better in the best track on AGDCFF 'Not Addicted').

Of course that's only after the first two listens, but it's definitely his weakest effort so far. Not a touch on the genius of OPM, and no where near as good as the good-but-dissapointing AGDCFF (which seems like a masterpiece in comparison to this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    I found it instantly forgettable...only tracks I half like are 'Two Nations' (lyrically but not musically), 'Hotel Expressionism' and 'Prangin Out' (although he tackled the exact same theme a thousand times better in the best track on AGDCFF 'Not Addicted').

Of course that's only after the first two listens, but it's definitely his weakest effort so far. Not a touch on the genius of OPM, and no where near as good as the good-but-dissapointing AGDCFF (which seems like a masterpiece in comparison to this).
    Judging from what you've said there, you seem to prefer the type of music that was on Original Pirate Material, and you're right there's not much of that on this album. I really like Track 4: All Goes Out The Window, but I also like most of the rest.

I suggest you listen to the album a few more times, because it grows on me more every time I play it through.

ReputationRep:
    some parts of two nations had me laughing out loud,

"I proud we gave you john lennon, oh then you shot him as well"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    some parts of two nations had me laughing out loud,

"I proud we gave you john lennon, oh then you shot him as well"
    Yeah me too. What are your favourite tracks on the album?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Judging from what you've said there, you seem to prefer the type of music that was on Original Pirate Material, and you're right there's not much of that on this album. I really like Track 4: All Goes Out The Window, but I also like most of the rest.

I suggest you listen to the album a few more times, because it grows on me more every time I play it through.
    It's not really the type of music....musically I don't see much difference between the three albums (although THWTMAEL is possibly his softest effort).

OPM is infinitely superior to this album, musically, lyrically and for the humour (which is a big part of Skinner's appeal for me).

ReputationRep:
    I've got to go with morgangills and say Hotel Expressionism and pranging out are overall my favourites. All goes out the wondow is good and two nations is good too but some of the lyrics just don't work properly. Already liked When you wasn't famous.

Although I've had it about a week I've only listened to it twice I think,

ReputationRep:
    war of the sexes is hilarious, just listened to it properly.
    "Did you know that cigarette lighters were invented before matches"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    war of the sexes is hilarious, just listened to it properly.
    "Did you know that cigarette lighters were invented before matches"
    I definitely think you need to listen to the album through about 3 or 4 times, because you don't appreciate the lyrics that much on the first couple of plays; its only when you're used to the tune that you pick up on the lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    am i the only one who cannot Stand the streets!!? its like listening to Vikki Pollard with some beat 50cent turned down in the background.

I could just cope with "dry your eyes" but not any of their other material.

they also get points off for having that orange **** Jodie Marsh in the video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
    am i the only one who cannot Stand the streets!!? its like listening to Vikki Pollard with some beat 50cent turned down in the background.

I could just cope with "dry your eyes" but not any of their other material.

they also get points off for having that orange **** Jodie Marsh in the video.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Have you listened to the album though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Have you listened to the album though?
    no havent heard the new one, only the single.

the only album ive heard is the one with Dry Your eyes on...my driving instructor used to force me into listening that in driving lessons:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
    no havent heard the new one, only the single.

the only album ive heard is the one with Dry Your eyes on...my driving instructor used to force me into listening that in driving lessons:mad:
    Ah right, well give the album a listen and you never know, you might find some tunes that you do like

ReputationRep:
    I like the Streets as i can relate to the lyrics on many of the songs as it sounds like me and my mates at times lol

ReputationRep:
    Ive only heard one track off this album, so i can't really judge it yet, but im sure the rest is ok-ish, i liked OPM and AGDCFF... Can't be that bad surely can it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_ndy_)
    Ive only heard one track off this album, so i can't really judge it yet, but im sure the rest is ok-ish, i liked OPM and AGDCFF... Can't be that bad surely can it?!
    It's definitely not bad, its a great album. But as the OP pointed out, its nothing like OPM, just more in the direction that AGDCFF was headed. Get the album and give it a couple of plays through (I really dislike the final track though as I don't think it offers anything to the album, but the rest is great). Listening to it now as it happens

ReputationRep:
    Well if its anything like AGDCFF then ill love it, i loved that album.. a little bit more then OPM... don't know why, i just did

Ill have a listen through it when i get it, and im sure i will love it just as much as i did the other ones

the last one is "fake street hats"? with a name like that, i hope it is a funny song..

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.