This discussion is closed.
Crazeeeeeeeeee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok! I am having trouble deciding on whether to go to Salford uni, Leeds uni or Huddersfield uni to study music in September!!!??? I am sooo confused cos the course at salford seems much better, but leeds seems a better uni - what do u all suggest??
p.s. do ya reckon salford is actually much more rough than Leeds?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Leeds, it has great social life, a gorgeous town, great rep and I know someone who did music at leeds and they seemed to have a great time. Plus Leeds is ranked very well and far above the others in the uni league tables.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Salford is not rough at all, crime has fallen down by 63% last year in the area the university is in. Ok its not the nicest part of Manchester but use your common sense and its fine.

Salford is very mixed in terms of league table results, some courses are amongst the best in the country where as others are amongst the worse. I've been talking to a few members of staff and they said that Salford will keep improving in the league tables in the next few years (it went up by 11 places last year).

Leeds University has a better reputation than Salford though if it is the proper Leeds you'e talking about and not the met.

My course at Salford is not too bad, there are times when I feel I could have done better but on recent research I discovered a similar course at Liverpool dosn't even seem as good. They are investing £100 million into the university to upgrade faciltiies in the next few years.

The problem with Salford is they tend to what I call sellout, in other words let idiots in, however the idiots don't pass. I would say its bettter than what the league tables would suggest but its not as good as Leeds.

Also the social life is just as good as any city because you'e a mile away from Manchester city centre (the campus where the music is 10 minutes walk from the city centre).
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

is it just BA music or a special music course??

if it just a BMus or BA in music (general) then i would recommend leeds as it has the best reputation...
Crazeeeeeeeeee
Thanks- at Salford its a special course (with options in band studies) but at Leeds its the regular BA. I know that Leeds has a much better reputation, but I dont wanna regret my choice! Its so hard to decide! help!
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
amazingtrade- the king of salford, jokes. Def Leeds especially for music I hear its grrrreat.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
amazingtrade- the king of salford, jokes. Def Leeds especially for music I hear its grrrreat.
Why am I joking? I am not joking?
Crazeeeeeeeeee
whats the accomodation like at salford amazing trade? (how many share a bathroom lol)and the night life etc- I was really stunned cos it had a great atmosphere!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Crazeeeeeeeeee)
whats the accomodation like at salford amazing trade? (how many share a bathroom lol)and the night life etc- I was really stunned cos it had a great atmosphere!
The night life in Manchester is great, it is as good as any where else I have been if not better. The Hacienda didn't get the reputation of being the best club in the world for nothing (its closed down now though but there are stilll 100's of clubs to choose from).

Accomdation depends on where you want to live, if you want the quite life then the flats are 4 per flat, Castle Irewell is pretty much a none stop party but you have to share with 11 other people, although you get your own bedroom. I think these houses have more than one bathroom.
Crazeeeeeeeeee
It sounds good- oh I dunno! this is a really hard choice, never mind, I'm sure I'll be happy where ever!
Crazeeeeeeeeee
how do they treat southerners in Salford and leeds?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In Manchester they don't really bat an eyelid to southerners unless you claim to be a Man U fan!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
In Manchester they don't really bat an eyelid to southerners unless you claim to be a Man U fan!
I would have thought people would have adjusted to the fact that everyone in Manchester supports City and everyone in Essex, Dubin, Honk Kong, Taiwan, New York, Singapore, Brazilia, Stockholm, Oslo and Aberystwyth supports United by now!!!
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
I would have thought people would have adjusted to the fact that everyone in Manchester supports City and everyone in Essex, Dubin, Honk Kong, Taiwan, New York, Singapore, Brazilia, Stockholm, Oslo and Aberystwyth supports United by now!!!
They have , but boy are there a lot of jokes they could throw at you!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is loads of southerners in Salford, we all love you. Its great to have diversty around the campus. It means we have more people to take the piss out of it.

Seriosly though as longs as you don't come out with "I hate it up north" etc then you will have no problems getting along. We know most southerner's arn't jumped up pantry boy/girls.

I am sure people at Leeds will welcome you as well.
chiaki
Report 16 years ago
You don't want to know what we do to southerners who happen to be lurking away from campus though ..... I personally enjoy a fresh tender public schoolboy roasted with lemon and thyme ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Leeds
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (92)
53.18%
No they should not (61)
35.26%
Abstain (20)
11.56%

Watched Threads