Turn on thread page Beta

A University turning my Conditional into an Unsuccessful watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here goes....i'm wanting to study architecture and applied to kent. The arch school there is new and everything so its pretty posh and has a cool director etc etc. Anyways i do the IB...and take all the necessary subjects ie. Art HL, Physics Standard, Maths Standard, ITGS HL etc. whatever, anyways they asked for an interview...(by the way i live in vienna)...so i flew the whole way there did the darn interview....and got an offer, which i was pleased about. Anyways they asked for 31 points (which is alright), 14 points in my higher levels (which is great too), a 5 in english A1 Standard (which is perfectly fine too!), and then a 4 in maths (which was quite generous/however bare in mind that maths is my hardest subject). Anyways i talked to my careers advisor about it...and he was all like "send them an email, cos'they didn't state what level of maths you needed, and if they're thinking of maths higher level and i accept their offer then i'm doomed' (maybe thats not exactly what he said but it was something along those lines:p: ). Anyways i wasn't really worried, cos' i thought you know whatever they MUST know i take maths standard or else they wouldn't have asked for an interview in the first place! right?...anyways so i send them an email and asked for which level of maths...and they said i need a score of 4 in math Higher Level (mind you, they've put the 'higher level' in bold when they sent me the reply through email...)....anyways, i was just like wtf:confused: ....so i send them an email telling them that i don't do maths Higher Level, and if that meant that i can't accept their offer if i chose to?...and they were like...."under these circumstance we are going to negotiate with UCAS as to what we should do, and this may result into us rejecting you from the architecture course commencing in September 2006"...........i mean CAN THEY EVEN DO THAT:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!.....i paid a lot of BUCKS to get to kent from vienna, and now they're wanting to tell me that the trip was all for nothing.

i know this might sound stupid, me getting worked up over this, but its a real piss off!....
    please try and make me feel better........

ReputationRep:
    On your UCAS application form, did you state that you were doing Maths SL or HL?

If the information on your UCAS form is incorrect, they have every right to revise the conditions of the offer, or even withdraw it completely.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you make enough fuss, they may pay for your trip as they have budgets for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    On your UCAS application form, did you state that you were doing Maths SL or HL?

If the information on your UCAS form is incorrect, they have every right to revise the conditions of the offer, or even withdraw it completely.
    yeah, on the UCAS form it clearly states that i do Maths Standard Level!...so now you're saying they can't withdraw my offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you make enough fuss, they may pay for your trip as they have budgets for that.
    yeah if they do actually change my offer to an unsuccessful then i'll definetly make a fuss :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigglybum)
    yeah, on the UCAS form it clearly states that i do Maths Standard Level!...so now you're saying they can't withdraw my offer
    I don't get one thing -- how can they ask for a qualification (grade 4) in Maths HL, when on your application form you never stated that you did it? Surely you must have mislead them unwittingly somewhere? Or maybe they were downright careless.

I would bring this issue up with the undergrad admissions department and remind them that you had clearly stated your subjects accurately in the application form.

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth ringing UCAS to check that this isn't a processing error - after all the computer errors this year, there's a chance that you could have put Maths SL and UCAS computers send Maths HL to the Unis.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But if they want a 4 higher level, and you're not taking it then they might as well withdraw the offer, as there's no way you can possibly meet it!

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that whoever told you they wanted a 4 at HL mucked up; he/she meant SL.

*shrug* :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have the feeling that too many people accepted their places and that they searched reasons to reject someone.

ReputationRep:
    anyways, kent sent me an email saying that on my application form it says 'maths SL and they're asking if 'the SL means 'standard level'...are they f***** stupid or what?........i told them yes it mean standard level....how can they mistake that for a HL.....whatever i'm waiting for their reply now...i have the feeling its gonna turn out fine, they probably just dont know much about the International Baccalaureate anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a UCAS decison was final. On what grounds can a decsion be rebuked.....if I enquired/applied for another degree course at same institute after an offer can they decline me on grounds of my seeming disinterest, for example?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i think it sounds like its the uni's fault, in which case i can't see how they can withdraw the offer. Although the offer may still stand e.g. Maths at higher, even though it was their fault. (Does it clearly state on the offer through UCAS that it needed to be higher maths?)

Its probably true they don't know that much about IB, since not that many students over here sit it.

ReputationRep:
    anyways, kent sent me an email saying that on my application form it says 'maths SL and they're asking if 'the SL means 'standard level'...are they f***** stupid or what?........i told them yes it mean standard level....how can they mistake that for a HL.....whatever i'm waiting for their reply now...i have the feeling its gonna turn out fine, they probably just dont know much about the International Baccalaureate anyways.
    And I really hope for you that it will.

ReputationRep:
    Gigglybum,

Whilst it seems clear that they have made a grave error by misinterpreting your UCAS form (or as Jammertal said are looking for an excuse), I would reiterate the expense you incurred to fly to Kent AND your desire to accept the Kent offer as your firm.

This should indicate your ambition. If they do change your offer to Unsuccesful have a careful read of the UCAS website and see if it refers to any such situation.

If not - give UCAS a ring and explain. I would also advise ringing Kent directly and registering your disapointment (adding in the amount it cost you to be available for the interview etc)

Hope all works out.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    ok, here's the deal. kent cannot under any circumstance withdraw or change your offer to your disadvantage. they can only do that if you change the details of your qualifications, which you haven't in any way. you are doing the same qualifications that are stated on your UCAS form so the offer stands. don't stress, don't argue about expense. just phone them up, ask them what they plan to do and if they say withdraw the offer, calmly explain to them that they are in breach of contract.

ReputationRep:
    A University turning my Conditional into an Unsuccessful

- i didn't think that would be allowed! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright star)
    ok, here's the deal. kent cannot under any circumstance withdraw or change your offer to your disadvantage. they can only do that if you change the details of your qualifications, which you haven't in any way. you are doing the same qualifications that are stated on your UCAS form so the offer stands. don't stress, don't argue about expense. just phone them up, ask them what they plan to do and if they say withdraw the offer, calmly explain to them that they are in breach of contract.
    Just wondering where you got this information from.

The university simply misinterpreted the OP's qualifications.. it was a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Let us know how this turns out please.

ReputationRep:
    right well i called them up...had to explain to them the differences between maths studies, standard, higher level....etc...and then they were like okay so we'll change it to a standard level and i should get a score of 4. And then they were like, we apologize for any inconvience blah blah blah...and that they were simply not familiar with the IB standard requirements for architecture.....so yeah its fine, and they're not changing my offer to an unsucccessful!

-but seriously i think a university should have full knowledge of every qualification!!! before they set their requirements!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.