Turn on thread page Beta

Shocking statistic watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guess how many people in the RAF are Jewish?

And that is true, and the data is for 2003.

ReputationRep:
    But the question is, is this due to some sort of racism? Or is it that Jewish people as a whole don't want to join the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But the question is, is this due to some sort of racism? Or is it that Jewish people as a whole don't want to join the RAF?
    Yes, that question popped into my head aswell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)

Not a huge supprise. Strict jews tend to stay in family business or more vocal and mental occupations. Not that many go into the lower branches of the military as they tend to be ambitious. My guess is that those seven would be higher up in the RAF, senior pilots at least. Its a cultuaral thing, common to succesfull minority groups.
    But seven does seem low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I think personally it is because there is no history of Jews in the RAF. By that, I mean lots of people follow their father or mother into the RAF, as the way of life is very engaging, varied, and lots of children of RAF parents want similar lives for their children etc.

ReputationRep:

There is a dude at lancaster university who looks just like and is called Ed! I mean, I know you said you are at manchester but...Its rather scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    There is a dude at lancaster university who looks just like and is called Ed! I mean, I know you said you are at manchester but...Its rather scary!
    LOL bizarre. Must be my secret twin.

ReputationRep:
    LOL bizarre. Must be my secret twin.
    Mmmm...He's having a 'I don't want to go out with you but when I see you you rock my world' relationship with my sister only difference is he's in 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    guess how many of the 2940 students offered a place at oxford in 2003 were black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    guess how many of the 2940 students offered a place at oxford in 2003 were black?
    Actually that's not quite bad i see much less in Manchester.....

ReputationRep:
    In israel the jews have to join the army @ 17 to protect their country for a couple of years before they can get a proper job.
    could it just be that there are more white than black ppl in England and so the ratio just makes it like that? 10 white for 1 black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokolo)
    In israel the jews have to join the army @ 17 to protect their country for a couple of years before they can get a proper job.
    could it just be that there are more white than black ppl in England and so the ratio just makes it like that? 10 white for 1 black?
    Haha, you go to John Hampden....I am gonna come and kick the s**t outta u! hehe...only joking

ReputationRep:
    The reason is not many jews would want to die for this crap country.

ReputationRep:
    They also have to put in a certain amount of hours every year, as they get older they put in less hours. But it's still common to see 40+ year olds contributing to the army.

ReputationRep:

but they're an ethnic minority...surely there wouldn't be equal numbers of jewish people in the RAF as others...

ReputationRep:
    I think the ratio is more like 25 white for 1 black or higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Whats the ratio of black applicants to white applicants?

Did it cross your mind that the black people who were refused were maybe not deserving of a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    Whats the ratio of black applicants to white applicants?

Did it cross your mind that the black people who were refused were maybe not deserving of a place?
    did it not cross your mind that yes, i had thought of these things, that less black people apply than white people. sheesh i was just stating a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    did it not cross your mind that yes, i had thought of these things, that less black people apply than white people. sheesh i was just stating a fact.
    but why? were you implying discrimination of some sort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    but why? were you implying discrimination of some sort?
    no, i was just stating a fact, just like the original poster.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.