Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm about to start revising for a unit in chemistry entitled 'Food science', this exam is more like a biology exam then Chemistry. Basically we are given a food science book it can be seen
    http://www.chemistry-react.org/fileL...dscienceSB.pdf

and the exam questions are like

http://www.chemistry-react.org/fileL...scienceEQs.pdf

As you can see it is a lot like biology. My question to all of you clever biologists, is, how would you go about revising for this exam?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got an A, but I didn't do food science in biology

ReputationRep:
    The point is what kind of revision technique did you use to get an A?

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, memorize the whole book... i am total crap at bio.. so, every night i read my bio text books in bed..i know it sounds really really sad.. and it is, but i ended up getting 100UMS for unit one and two...so i must have done something right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dal)
    in my opinion, memorize the whole book... i am total crap at bio.. so, every night i read my bio text books in bed..i know it sounds really really sad.. and it is, but i ended up getting 100UMS for unit one and two...so i must have done something right?
    now that's dedication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    now that's dedication
    Unfortunately it doesn't work once you go past a-level and you have about 15x 1000 page books lol! And that isn't sufficient to get you the top grades half the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Unfortunately it doesn't work once you go past a-level and you have about 15x 1000 page books lol! And that isn't sufficient to get you the top grades half the time!
    lol :p:, so what is sufficient to get top grades?

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are the key to a grade A at Biology A-level. Do as many as possible and then learn mark schemes, it is important to answer the questions in the style of the mark scheme. Learn answers for standard questions that are common. I know so many people who are good biologists, but they don't do past papers, and consequently only get Bs, even though the knowledge is there.

ReputationRep:
    lol :p:, so what is sufficient to get top grades?
    Reading lots of primary literature....textbooks tend to leave out lots of details you need to get the real high grades IMO...they also get out of date VERY quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Reading lots of primary literature....textbooks tend to leave out lots of details you need to get the real high grades IMO...they also get out of date VERY quickly.
    Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    great! What degree are you doing btw?

Edit: and yes to owe me rep neo, didn't type out the mark scheme for nothing!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Human Biology

(Original post by Neo~)
    Hmmm
    No joke! For example, some of the information in my immunology textbook is already out of date and it was only published last year!

ReputationRep:

Edit: and yes to owe me rep neo, didn't type out the mark scheme for nothing!:p:
    Hehe I remember Mustard man :p: You're on my to-rep list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Human Biology

No joke! For example, some of the information in my immunology textbook is already out of date and it was only published last year!
    :eek: Serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Human Biology
    You said biologists are queers, are some along the lines of that. Must of been sarcasm :p: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo~)
    Hehe I remember Mustard man :p: You're on my to-rep list
    good good, keep it up! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo~)
    :eek: Serious?
    Of course. Progress is made everyday within research...they don't wait until the major textbooks are about to publish their next edition before advancing our knowledge in any particular field

Having said that, A-level textbooks probably don't contain as much cutting-edge stuff and so are likely to have a longer shelf-life (much of it was worked out some time ago and major changes are hence more unlikely). As you get more in-depth books, they contain much more details and recent ideas that are emerging from current research and hence more likely to become obsolete.

We were told that if we want good grades in our essays then not to use textbooks (and definitely not the internet lol) as references. Only primary literature and peer-review articles.

ReputationRep:
    You said biologists are queers, are some along the lines of that. Must of been sarcasm :p: :rolleyes:
    I said they are freaks

ReputationRep:
    good good, keep it up! :yy:
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    I said they are freaks
    ah that was it :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.