The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got an A, but I didn't do food science in biology
Reply 2
The point is what kind of revision technique did you use to get an A?
Reply 3
in my opinion, memorize the whole book... i am total crap at bio.. so, every night i read my bio text books in bed..i know it sounds really really sad.. and it is, but i ended up getting 100UMS for unit one and two...so i must have done something right?
Dal
in my opinion, memorize the whole book... i am total crap at bio.. so, every night i read my bio text books in bed..i know it sounds really really sad.. and it is, but i ended up getting 100UMS for unit one and two...so i must have done something right?

now that's dedication
Reply 5
Mustard-man
now that's dedication

Unfortunately it doesn't work once you go past a-level and you have about 15x 1000 page books lol! And that isn't sufficient to get you the top grades half the time!
nikk
Unfortunately it doesn't work once you go past a-level and you have about 15x 1000 page books lol! And that isn't sufficient to get you the top grades half the time!

lol :p:, so what is sufficient to get top grades?:redface:
Reply 7
Past papers are the key to a grade A at Biology A-level. Do as many as possible and then learn mark schemes, it is important to answer the questions in the style of the mark scheme. Learn answers for standard questions that are common. I know so many people who are good biologists, but they don't do past papers, and consequently only get Bs, even though the knowledge is there.
Reply 8
Mustard-man
lol :p:, so what is sufficient to get top grades?:redface:

Reading lots of primary literature....textbooks tend to leave out lots of details you need to get the real high grades IMO...they also get out of date VERY quickly.
Reply 9
nikk
Reading lots of primary literature....textbooks tend to leave out lots of details you need to get the real high grades IMO...they also get out of date VERY quickly.

Hmmm
nikk

great! What degree are you doing btw?

Edit: and yes to owe me rep neo, didn't type out the mark scheme for nothing!:p:
Reply 11
Mustard-man

Human Biology

Neo~
Hmmm

No joke! For example, some of the information in my immunology textbook is already out of date and it was only published last year!
Reply 12
Mustard-man

Edit: and yes to owe me rep neo, didn't type out the mark scheme for nothing!:p:

Hehe I remember Mustard man :p: You're on my to-rep list :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 13
nikk
Human Biology

No joke! For example, some of the information in my immunology textbook is already out of date and it was only published last year!

:eek: Serious?
nikk
Human Biology

You said biologists are queers, are some along the lines of that. Must of been sarcasm :p: :rolleyes:
Neo~
Hehe I remember Mustard man :p: You're on my to-rep list :biggrin::biggrin:

good good, keep it up! :yy:
Reply 16
Neo~
:eek: Serious?

Of course. Progress is made everyday within research...they don't wait until the major textbooks are about to publish their next edition before advancing our knowledge in any particular field :wink: :smile:

Having said that, A-level textbooks probably don't contain as much cutting-edge stuff and so are likely to have a longer shelf-life (much of it was worked out some time ago and major changes are hence more unlikely). As you get more in-depth books, they contain much more details and recent ideas that are emerging from current research and hence more likely to become obsolete.

We were told that if we want good grades in our essays then not to use textbooks (and definitely not the internet lol) as references. Only primary literature and peer-review articles.
Reply 17
Mustard-man
You said biologists are queers, are some along the lines of that. Must of been sarcasm :p: :rolleyes:

I said they are freaks :biggrin:
Reply 18
Mustard-man
good good, keep it up! :yy:

:p: :biggrin:
nikk
I said they are freaks :biggrin:

ah that was it :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending